For the remaining Virgin 221s I was thinking of a Cheshire day-ranger and see what pops up between Crewe & Chester. Probably the easiest place I can think of scoring some Virgin Voyager action (apart from the Birmingham corridor)
28th December – A First Class travelcard adventure
To say farewell to the cheap First Class Travelcard before it increases in price, and because I fancied seeing what the various First Class accommodations was like on the various units operating out of London. Sadly London Midland’s 350s were out due to the Watford Junction work, but I would try my best. Early Sunday morning to Andover where it was cold and wet, parking in my usual place to walk to P1 via the subway with a few minutes to spare before Bond, 159 Bond arrived (159007) to take me to Woking.
I changed at Woking for a 15 minute wait before the service from Basingstoke crashes into the rear of the service from Alton, sadly not a triple today, but both winners with 450548 leading and 450105 at the rear on the semi-fast to Waterloo which only calls at Surbiton, Wimbledon & Clapham. Taking a seat in 105 in the bay seat opposite the little guard office (do they ever get used by the guards?) until Surbiton where as if by magic my Andover to Clapham Junction return turns into my First Class Travelcard and I move forward into the little FC section, 2+2 reclining seating with decent size tables and power sockets, a good first impression from a 450.
Next up at P7 at Clapham was a double 444 from Southampton, I was going to catch it regardless of winners due to it being a rare chance of getting into the FC section of a 444, formed of dud 444019 leading winner 444022 (yippee) for a nice trip to Waterloo, 2+1 seating, although mostly in airline style on the 2 seat side. We stopped outside Waterloo for a couple minutes before arrival, and I was on the next train out of Waterloo back to Clapham, sadly no 450s were due to go out on a regular stop at Clapham, so across to the Windsor lines side to jump onto dud 455736. No FC section on the little red devils so nothing to report.
I had timed my arrival into Clapham to give me a few minutes before a service from Reading, to try and get some 458 FC action before the FC sections are replaced when they are changed to 458/5s. Winners 458021/458008 arrived and I went into the little FC section in the ends to be surprised. Similar to the 450s with 2+2 seating but with nice seats which were quite comfy, power socket underneath the seat (similar to the 395s), nice peaceful ride back to Waterloo. Next stop after checking RTT to see if Paddington was running services towards Ealing (and it was the usual Sunday half-hourly runs) was a nice walk to the Bakerloo line platforms.
Diving onto a Bakerloo line train when it was on the station (bit of a dash down those stairs), saves a few minutes which came in handy at Paddington as it allowed me to have a look at a pretty dead station, only 1 HST was on the platform, 1x Heathrow Express and a pair of 165s, however the one I was interested in was a pair of turbos on P11, leading was winner 165125 with dud 166216 behind. Sitting in the FC section of 125, nothing that special, 2+2 seating with fixed armrests, can’t remember if it even had full size tables. Only extra was a little switch to turn on a light above, although I wasn’t going to be surprised owing to the weekday Reading-Basingstoke runs being standard class only, so if a Turbo is diagrammed on when one of the 150/0s is unavailable it’s standard class only (add in the one end of a 166 has been turned into SC). Out of Paddington and I knew something was odd when it went down in the main tracks (rather than the relief, can’t be calling them fast and slow on the GWML) towards Ealing Broadway.
Alighting at the lesser used main-line platform, and crossing over the bridge to head down to the island platform to board a returning winner 165106 back to Paddington, not a new station, but first time using those platforms. 165106 was quite busy, even in the FC section (this is when you wish for a RPO to do a surprise ticket check and give the chavs penalty fares for sitting in FC with a standard class ticket on the table, listening to ‘music’, feet on the seats etc. Into Paddington and I completely forgot about visiting the FC lounge to get some FGW freebies until I was on the Hammersmith & City line platforms, oops. A Circle line train took me the short distance to Farringdon where I decided to head north to St Pancras.
Winner 319375 arrived which was nice, apart from it being a 319/3 meant it didn’t have a FC section, so I waited at St Pancras for the next service to arrived, heading to Bedford and formed of winners 319367 & 319217, where I decided to do something unusual when Thameslink bashing and go into the light and head to West Hampstead Thameslink. Sitting in 217, the FC section was nice and peaceful, although the seats were the same as the SC area and it had nothing in the way of extras (which I noticed or can remember).
Crossing over the platforms for a southbound service towards Brighton, formed of a very busy winning 377517, managed to get a seat in the FC section after St Pancras, although as the 377/5s have one FC section turned into SC it was nothing new, same seats, just with power sockets under the table. 3 minute connection at Blackfriars was up next for another Bedford service; thankfully the barriers on the north side were wide open, which gave me an easier route to the northbound platform where dud 377208 was leading 377215. Similar layout to the 377/5s (although having a pair of airline seats instead of the single longitude seat), no power sockets though, so hardly anything different than the rest of the train, apart from the antimacassars.
I alighted at Farringdon and continuing along my trip along the sub-surface lines found me on a Metropolitan line service for the mile ride, checking up on the times of Romford bound services, wanting to try and avoid 315s found me with a spare 14 minutes, so heading out of the station to locate the Tesco suggested by Keith, I found it, however it was a Metro rather than an Express, and hence limited to 6 hours of opening (12:00 to 6pm) which was a bit of a downer as it was 11:40 (and I was feeling a bit hungry). Back to the station to locate the platform the Southend service was due to depart with winner 321430 leading dud 321357. FC section was very nice, 2+2 seating although no ‘extras’, nice door to close and I was the sole passenger in the leading FC section. Nice little run to Romford, where I noticed the slow tracks were closed for works, meaning a reduced service was operating with the Shenfield stoppers using the fast track platforms of the various stations.
2nd time at Romford so it was a bit of a wild guess at the location of the subway or bridge to the fast up platform, and a tight connection as winners 321321 & 321319 arrived just as I was going up the ramp, quite a busy service, even in FC (again I wonder how many of those passengers would be caught out if a RPO decided to call). I alighted at Stratford, keeping an eye out for a service 15 minutes behind from Clacton, thinking it might be a 360, but in the meanwhile it gave me time to do a quick double-bus stop dash to Forest Gate (skipping Maryland, which appeared to be closed), first pair of 315s were winners 315824/315825, leaving the station on the down fast platform to cross over the bridge to enter the main station building to the island platform with the up fast with 315827/315853 taking me back to Stratford.
The next train on the up fast was sadly a pair of 321s rather than a hopeful 360, so I decided to cross over to P11 where a Cambridge bound 317 was waiting, formed of winners 317514/317508 took me along a very nice bit of track towards Tottenham Hale, nice because it runs alongside the Eurostar depot, so chance of 373/374 spotting. Those new 374s look very nice. The FC section is very nice on the 317s, 2+2 seating. Into Tottenham Hale with a 5 minute wait before a sound bound 379 was due from the airport, and it was winner 379015, and with a free bottle of water from the refreshment trolley thrown in. Back to Liverpool Street where I left the station to the now open Tesco Metro to pick up a meal-deal for lunch and back to the station for the next Tottenham Hale bound 379 (first was to check for a potential 360, however it again was a 321, those 360s will have to wait for another day).
Formed of winners 379005/379016, however it was the same refreshment trolley host so I thought I best not try and push my luck for another bottle of water, he might notice from a sheet of paper used for complimentary drinks. To Tottenham Hale with a mad idea to get to Kings Cross to see if I could wing a 365 northbound to Finsbury, the day after the chaos, out at the Victoria line and checking the boards to note a Peterborough bound service was overdue to depart, I dashed and jumped on as the whistle was being blown. Winners 365524/365503 greeted me, similar FC section to the 165s/166s, but I couldn’t enjoy it as first stop was walking up the train to try and get close to the front to allow me to grab the number of the front unit once at Finsbury.
Arrival into Finsbury was at chaos, the points had failed south of the station, an East Coast HST was being held on the platform with the doors locked for protection, so deciding nothing was worth hanging around for as I went down to the Victoria line platform for a run towards Victoria for some Southern 377 FC action. I had the choice of two Brighton services, the first was the express and the 2nd was the stopper, both departing within a couple minutes of each other, so boarding the first formed of winners 377411/377459 to Clapham Junction. Pretty much the same as the 377/2s, nothing special in the FC section apart from the antimacassars, a couple minute wait at Clapham saw winners 377462/377102 on the trip down to East Croydon.
At East Croydon I was going to head towards the fast up platforms when I saw a pair of 377/3s arrive, knowing my book is lacking massively with the 3-car 377/3s (previously had 2 units) so I jumped on, it was a semi-fast service to Victoria calling at Selhurst (football?), winners 377301/377319 took me the short distance to Selhurst where I had my first ticket check of the day! Alighting on the Up Fast platform (normally closed by a large gate in the subway, with the stairs down the subway being half fenced off) for a few minute wait before dud 377405 arrived on another semi-fast to Victoria. The plan was to head over to the Southeastern side to get some 375 action; however I spotted a 377/6 with a couple minutes to go before it departed, so decided to do another Vic-clap run, although it was dud 377610.
The FC section was completely the same as the SC section, same seats, no antimacassars, the only thing telling passengers it was FC was small stickers on the windows, frankly rubbish if you ask me. The return was in the hands of another double dud of 377155/377121 where I finally crossed over to the South eastern side. On an Ashford bound service today was winner 375711, and like the 377s the only difference is with antimacassars on the seats which seemed to be ignored by the Bromley bunch as it was busy departing Victoria but soon emptied out (as well as myself) at Bromley South. Over the bridge to another platform for a Victoria bound service, this time formed of winner 375801, back to Victoria.
Crossing back to the Southern side, this time sticking with the suburban platforms found me a pair of 377/6s, leading was winner 377614 with dud 377606 behind. To Clapham, where a look at RTT saw a Reading service in a few minutes so to get some more 458 action I crossed over, although the first pair was the same as in the morning (458008/458021) I alighted at Putney (those antimacassar cushions are lush) for a new station call, crossing over to the up platform and dud 458014 arrived with winner 458016 behind, quite busy in standard, but empty in FC. Back to Waterloo now where a look at RTT saw that Charing Cross was running the Cannon Street shuttles, and there was no way I would make a 2 minute connection to Waterloo East.
So having an early dinner from Burger le King and a slow walk over to Waterloo East where dud 465029 was leading winner 465043 along the metropolitan curve to Cannon Street. Before the next fast service towards Orpington was due to depart was a Dartford bound service, so some linear bashing with winner 465009 leading dud 465016 to London Bridge. Closely followed by a pair of winners, 375713/375927 to take me down to Orpington with another pair of winners of 375816/375911 took me back to London Bridge (with another ticket check).
I decided to head back to Waterloo via the Jubilee line, final stop ‘Waterwooooo’, “This train will now terminate here, all change please, all change” up to the main station with another couple of options to get back to Woking/Basingstoke, knowing that I needed to be on a service which called at Clapham which crossed out a fast to Woking service, however the 444s identified were all duds, so after a quick search on RTT found me racing the Alton/Basingstoke train to Surbiton. First was a pair of winning 450s, with 450001 & 450108 towards Vauxhall, then a pair of winning 455s (455708/455860) to Clapham. Next was winner 455709 to Wimbledon, before winner 455862 to Surbiton, where I crossed over to the down fast platform to wait the Basingstoke/Alton service, formed of winners 450564/450005, back to Woking (and back in SC), crossing over the bridge and duds 159002/159005 was having an extended break due to arriving early back to Andover.
My god it was a nightmare getting home, the car was iced over, both inside and outside, and it was that temperature where the car would refreeze within a couple minutes, hence I decided it would probably be my last Sunday day-trip to London for a while.
Winners count: Out of the 71 unique units travelled on (bar 159s), 57 were winners, which for a day where I wasn’t aiming for winners is quite good.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
30th December – This smells fishy
Back in June when I attempted to do the 3 branches of the West Wales lines, my plan was thrown into chaos when the signalling around Newport decided to go on holiday, with a magical taxi ride from Temple Meads to Severn Tunnel Junction via the moon. I managed Milford & Pembroke, but couldn’t manage to fit a trip to Fishguard in a revised plan, so thought about doing a day trip to the West of Wales to clear the Fishguard branch, the Carmarthen avoider and also the ‘up’ direction of the Swansea district line (having previously travelled the down direction on a railtour to the Heart of Wales and on the August bank holiday Monday).
It was a rather early start, even for my record, as I wanted to do some linear bashing to try and clear down some of my required FGW 150s & 153s units, the first train from Salisbury to Westbury leaves around 6am, so I was up at 5am, get ready, deice the car, and for a morning drive in temperatures of minus 5 to Salisbury, it was rather chilly (and remained so for most of the day). Paying to park (£8 for weekday parking, ouch) and picking up the tickets from Newport to Fishguard (having purchased the only return ticket available from Salisbury to Newport, an anytime return, no day returns available nor any useful splits which I could spot. The first FGW service of the day also picks up the SWT 158 which is being borrowed for the day.
Having completed my FGW 158s I wasn’t expecting that much, and true to form 158958 was leading, but with an unexpected unit, 158882, one of my 2 required SWT 158s, happy days. Only passenger on board as it set off towards Westbury where it would terminate and end up on a Weymouth service (looking at RTT), the Gloucester bound service was on P2, so a nice easy cross-platform to winner 150131 for a gentle trip towards Bristol. I would imagine at any other day this train would be quite heavily loaded but due to it being the week between Christmas & New Year it was quiet. Into Bristol and I alighted to have a look at what was happening, the next train up the line towards the newish station at Filton Abbey Wood.
A service towards Bristol Parkway was due from Western-Super-Teddybear with a Cardiff bound service a few minutes behind that, so I decided to jump on board, an emptying winner 150221, up to Filton Abbey Wood, a new station for me to alight at. The Cardiff bound service behind was running late, it arrived into Bristol from the depot late, but never mind, at least it cut down the 30 minute wait at Patchway. I wasn’t expecting that much; I was expecting a 158/9, and when 158951 arrived it was no surprise. I must remember that Filton isn’t a good station to cross between platforms; it has quite a long ramp to the bridge. A couple minutes later saw me alighting at a rather chilly Patchway (for another new station call), having a look around to find not a lot, a car-park on the north side, and some old factories on the south side, seemed to be a good couple miles away from Patchway village. 10 minutes later and a pair of winning 153s arrived, 153318 leading (the First Great London Midland, how hard is it to change stickers on the inside to remove the LM logos?) 153325, some unexpected dog box action, through the tunnel under the river and into Wales.
The double 153 arrived into P1 so a quick platform change to P2 to get on a delayed ATW service from Holyhead, 175110 was the unit in charge, overtaking the double 153s on the 11 mile trip towards Cardiff. Into Cardiff and having just missed a service bound for the West (doors were closing as the 175 pulled in, nice to see ATW keeping a connection open), I had 40-odd minutes to kill before a FGW HST was due to take me down towards Swansea. Visiting the little Tesco Express opposite the bus station for some lunch for later in the day, and also popped into a couple of the charity shops nearby as one was promoting a “massive 50p book sale”, which had 5 children’s reference books in, wow. Back at Central I was waiting around as winner 43156 arrived with dud 43125 on the rear, locating a seat in coach C, which was pretty much empty, I sat back and relaxed for the enjoyable ride of a HST towards Swansea.
In Swansea it was a 10 minute wait and a last minute platform change (can’t be many other stations where you get a 153, a 150 & a 175 on the same platform) for 2-car winning 175004 for the short trip to Llanelli. I had 45 minutes to kill and from a previous visit knew there wasn’t a lot around the station, apart from some network rail engineers’ power washing the rails at the level crossing. I could have played it risky with another 175 service which is due to arrive a few minutes before the Fishguard service, but didn’t want that risk of a 175 running late and missing the boat-train. Winner 153312 arrived with winner 150217 behind it on the boat-train today, quite a busy service but I managed to find a table seat in the dog-box. The section of line to the south of the railway west of Llanelli is quite beautiful.
First stop was Whitland so it used the Carmarthen avoiding curve and stopped at Whitland, where the line to Pembroke splits, and a nice ride with some DGA, and some beautiful scenery, always worth a visit to West Wales, and eventually Fishguard & Goodwick was reached with calls from the guard not to alight if you want the ferry before carrying on down to the Harbour station, owned by Stella Line, and was quite busy with passengers wanting the service back to Cardiff.
I had hoped to shift to the 150, but passengers started boarding rather quicker than expected, so 153 it was (although not so bad as I enjoy Dog-Boxes). Back east away from Fishguard, away from the cliffs, away from the sea & the large ferry with a large queue of vehicles, reversing at Carmarthen (completing the Carmarthen triangle), and carrying on, with calls from the guard at Llanelli that this service does not call at Swansea, the next station is Bridgend. Leaving the main-line to start going up the Heart of Wales before turning away and onto the Swansea District Line, pretty in parts, boring in others (cuttings).
Joining the main line at Briton Ferry and carrying on, flying through Port Talbot with the industry (how I love the industry) and I alighted at Bridgend. The boat-train had somehow arrived 10 minutes early, so I waited around before it departed and the next service towards Cheltenham Spa arrived, formed of winner 150208 towards Cardiff Central. I had an hour or so to kill before the WAG Express (although it was not to be) departed, so purchasing a return ticket to Cardiff Bay, I headed over to the Valley line platforms to see what was happening in terms of movements. First up was a pair of Pacers, winner 143622 leading dud 142077 towards Queen Street, where I have bad news for unit bashers.
The new platform at Queen Street has come online, which meant instead of all Central bound services using P3 and all services away from Central using P4, on an island platform (with the Bay using P2), the Bay had shifted to P1, and services to Central changed between P2 and P3, with from Central using either P4 or P5, no more easy platform interchanges. The double pacer arrived into P4, where I crossed over to the Bay platform for the service to Cardiff Bay (which would be a prime tram), formed of dud 153303. To the Bay and back on the same unit, and across to P2 as winner 150241 arrived with winner 150281 behind, so 3 winners, bonus
At Central, the FGW Carport service was starting from Newport (does that make it the ‘Newport’ service?), I had a couple options, first was a 150 heading to Cheltenham Spa which looked busy, or the Holyhead train which was meant to be the WAG, sadly the Loco set was busy in North Wales which left the honours to a 2-car 158, winner 158838, I managed to board and get a seat (first seat inside), but it left Cardiff completely full and standing. The FGW customers wanting a connection probably didn’t help (although there was another service which connected with the FGW Newport service, a HST from Swansea. Into Newport as darkness had fallen and back across to P1 to see dud 158951 waiting, not as busy as I had expected it to be.
Nice little run after a delayed start due to the delayed HST, under the Severn and to Filton Abbey Wood, where I alighted for a 3 minute wait for the Parkway to Western Super Teddybear service, formed of dud 158763 (boo). I checked RTT and it gave me a 2 minute connection at Temple Meads for a HST towards London via Bath, so positioning myself at the rear most door and I made a dash making a semi-busy HST, finding a table seat which wasn’t due passengers until Bath to have a breather.
Guess what, it was the same HST set which took me to Swansea earlier! 43125 leading 43156. Never mind, as I had given myself a 20 minute or so break at Bath, which was used to pick up a bite to eat from the little Sainsburys nearby the bus station, back to the station with a passenger wanting to know if they could catch an earlier train than the one stated on their advance ticket, the next train to London being the train she was booked on (seems to go down to 1 HST an hour that time of evening). A HST sped through on the Bristol bound platform (would that be Up or Down?), before dud 150239 arrived, running a few minutes late which meant my connection with a Westbury to Southampton train was probably going to go up in flames.
And the connection went up in flames, arrival into Westbury 5 minutes down, next train towards Salisbury was going to be in half an hour, so I hung around the station, nothing better to do. Dud 158798 (wearing the Portsmouth Shopping advertisement) took me back down to Salisbury, where after 5 minutes with deicing my car for a slow drive home, the temperature had dropped once more. But I was happy, Wales is pretty much covered for network rail track, apart from a couple PSUL movements over some curves (Swansea Avoider & link between the City link & SWML west of Cardiff). Nice way for my final big trip of 2014
(2 more to do before I've caught up, happy days)