I didn't know Turbos worked Basingstoke - Reading! Intriguing. I have also learned that 150s turn up on Reading - Redhill / Gatwick - much, much less good, from the FGW programme on Channel 5!
They work it mainly at weekends (normally a 2 car 165), it's an odd line where during the week it's served mainly by 3-car standard class only 150s (bar a couple services) (or 165/166 if the 150s have a hissy), but at weekends 2-car with 1st class.
45 minutes to kill in Llanelli, what to do...
----------
My book is getting additional ticks in, however long long long way before clearing anything major.
----
Bad news from Cardiff, with the new platforms at Queen Street coming on, it's a lot harder to do Central - Queen Street - Central runs, whereas before it was two island platforms, now depending where your heading you could go into either 4 or 5 (heading out of central), and come back into 2 or 3 (heading towards central), with P1 being used for the Bay runs.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
19th December – On the hunt for the Bubble
One notable absence from my unit book is the 121s used by Chiltern on the Aylesbury/Princes Risborough services, mainly in the morning peaks but with one service in the evening peak, so I put together a rough plan to hunt it down, with a note that it will only happen if I managed to get finished early on the 19th, the last day of work before it closes down for 2 weeks. I actually finished an hour and a bit earlier than expected which allowed me to get the 12:59 from Grateley with a Grateley to Little Kimble ticket (as NRE gave routing both via Wendover & Wycombe).
The first unit of the day was 159106, one of my more used 159s, but I was only staying on until Basingstoke to break into a bit of linear bashing, where the next service was dud (this was before I put the required 444s into my phone to try and reduce dud 444s) 444008 on a fast service which only stopped at Clapham, zooming passed Woking. At Clapham I decided to head across to the Windsor lines, and got lucky as winner 458536 arrived, and doing a quick check with RTT seemed to suggest that changing at Queenstown Road (new station for me) another unit would be a few minutes behind, “5 coaches” was displayed on the PIS so I knew it was going to be another 458/5 (or a 159/158 combo, but that would have been ultra unusual), sadly it was dud 458533.
Ditching at Vauxhall with another couple minute wait produced a double 455, sadly both duds, 455707/455737 to take me the mile into Waterloo, not the best linear bashing with only 1 winner. Down to the Bakerloo and jumping on a Bakerloo line service to take me up to Marylebone, and heading up what feels to be the world’s longest escalator and to the main concourse, an hour extra so I could waste time doing some additional turbo bashing, but first I wanted out of London and out of Zone 9 so the first station call would be Great Missenden, on winner 165033. With 30 minutes before the next service I took myself out of the station to look around the area where I found a couple charity shops (useful to look for any cheap books which can be read on the move in the dark) and a co-op, picking up a sandwich meal-deal for later I headed back to the station.
First thing I must say about Chiltern stations, the little waiting shelters protect from the wind and rain, but the plastic ‘seats’ are so uncomfortable, anyways I wasn’t waiting for long before winner 165029 tipped up, another 3-car 165 Chiltern turbo ticked off my list, this took me one station up the line to Wendover, and as per with Great Missenden I had a quick look around the area before returning to read a book (or was it an e-magazine on the tablet, I can’t remember) before a double 165 arrived, the one I was meant to catch, leading was dud 165019 but winner 165008 was behind, this was running a few minutes late, but I was checking RTT to see the process of the service behind, to see if that was on time owing to a tight connection at Aylesbury, thankfully it appeared to be on time so I ditched 019/008 at Stoke Mandeville, another new station for me, and next to a busy main road. Thankfully it wasn’t a long wait before winner 165015 arrived to take me up to Aylesbury (one of the peak-time specials which first stop is Great Missenden). Looking across the other platform to see what was going to be on the 17:30 service to Princes Risborough, where a smile came on my face when I saw a 121 waiting in the platform, 121020 was the 121 on that run today.
Nice seats with central door locking with the slam doors, large guard-luggage area and quite noisy. I had something rare with a Chiltern ticket check, as I swapped over tickets along the journey to the return leg (which probably confused the guard a bit), but a nice little 7 mile ride to Princes Risborough where a Marylebone bound service was due a few minutes later, so after taking a picture of the 121 in the station, I headed to the Up platform and winner 168108 arrived, my first 168 for a good few months, but I was only staying on board for the short run down to High Wycombe to cross over to the bay platform to board the stopper, hoping to get a picture of the 68 on the Banbury commuter train.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8675/15547381633_cd8c261ef9_o.jpg
A first thought with High Wycombe is that it is quite a walk from platform 3 to platform 1 and they had singers which got annoying after a while. Sadly the 68 wasn’t running and was replaced by a 168 so a chance of a photo was lost as I boarded winner 165034 on a stopper to Marylebone, at least for the first couple stations before bailing out at Beaconsfield and getting on the fast service behind formed of winner 168107 for the run down to Marylebone, must overtake the stopper on route somewhere.
Into Marylebone and down to the Bakerloo and back to Waterloo where I had a couple options, first was to catch the Reading service to try and get some 458/0 action, the peak-time subway was open so I thought I would cut some time going via the subway, however I didn’t realise that the Reading service was due to depart from P20, one of the former Eurostar platforms which can only be accessed from P19, which isn’t accessible via the subway, doh! Formed of dud 458013 with winner 458012 behind, it took me the short distance to Clapham Junction, where I had 10 minutes to transfer to P9 to wait for the Southampton bound 444, which like the service in the morning skips Woking (trying to get from Woking to Basingstoke in the evenings is a nightmare, you have the 159s which run fast between the two or the Basingstoke stoppers, either the services which run down to Winchester (and beyond) stop at either Woking or Basingstoke (or in the case of a couple Weymouth trains neither, first stop Winchester). Winner 444042 did the honours to take me to Basingstoke where I had a 10 minute wait before dud 159103 took me back to Grateley.
Mission to get a 121 was a success, with 7 additional winning Chiltern units thrown in for good measures.
20th December – A Railtour to Shrewsbury
A nice simple relaxing day for me on a railtour to Shrewsbury for Christmas, starting from Basingstoke, but I purchased Woking return tickets (see a bit later), dud 159011 did the honours for the 5:59 service to Waterloo, where I alighted at Basingstoke, having a bit of time to get a newspaper before I returned to the platform as the train was due in around 6:35, and winning loco 67028 arrived pulling 8 carriages, 5 for First Class, 2 services & 1 standard class carriage, right at the end. Arrived into P2, so after getting a picture of the set next to a double 444 I headed on board to find my seat, which unusually for Uk Railtours was a window seat!
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7561/16167135605_154d4b37a3_o.jpg
The set left Basingstoke on time with maybe 2/3 others in the standard class coach, picking up at Farnborough (Main) (can’t forget about the ‘Main’ part, makes it feel important and saves someone mixing it up with the North station) & Woking picking up a few additional passengers in the standard class coach (no idea about the First Class, you can tell when it’s quiet when standard class customers have an at-seat service for refreshments), leaving the main line after Byfleet to go up towards Staines to pick up a few additional passengers (probably doubled the number in SC) and set off to hit the first non-passenger track (NPT) of the day with the curve from Old Kew Junction to South Acton Junction and onto the North London Line.
Passing an unknown 378 at Acton Central, the next NPT was a big one, coming of the North London at Acton Wells and onto the Dudding Hill line, with announcements made not to hang outside the windows owing to the trees. Nice interesting line around a part of London I haven’t travelled, going over the WCML and Chiltern Line before taking the north curve and running alongside the Midland Main Line for a mile (or two) before it went over after Hendon and joined at Silkstream Junction and accelerated up the MML before stopping at St Albans where Standard Class got busy, and set off again for its final pick-up at Bedford. With the tour not sold out, I moved to a free table at the rear of the carriage as the train moved into the fast lines of the MML and got up to speed, and heading quite fast (probably hit 90 if not more), the 67 showing it’s stuff.
Some new non-stop stations into my book with Wellingborough, Kettering & Market Harborough before the next NPL was reached with the curve between South Wigston Junction to Glen Parva Junction. Pretty much on time which helped things along and it set off heading west, passing Nuneaton and crossing the WCML again and carrying on heading west before pulling off that line for the next NPL, and another big line with Sutton Park line, leaving at Water Orton West Junction and set off along as rather boring line heading to the north of Birmingham and coming out north of Walsall, crossing the Cross-city line at Sutton Coldfield and onto the Chase line, waiting for a while outside Walsall station (running a tad early at the time), as the driver changed.
Setting off again for another line, not strictly non-passenger as it is used by one service one way a week, and I had previously covered the majority of the Wolverhampton to Walsall line on another railtour in June when doing the S&C, however that was from Bescot and used the north line after Portobello to Bushbury Junction to avoid Wolverhampton (which is the best thing to do as it’s a dump, makes Newport wonderful), anyways new track from Pleck Junction to Darlaston Junction and then from Portobello to Crane Street junction, with another brief wait. This must be one of the least used electrified tracks by electric trains. Into Wolverhampton and leaving the main-line to get onto the Shrewsbury line for an uneventful trip to Shrewsbury, pretty much bang on time (with another wait outside Shrewsbury before entering the station on P4.
Shrewsbury is a nice town, although with 4 hours to waste I decided to cut short walking around the town looking in various shops (but only buying lunch from Boots) I was back at the station to catch the London Midland stopper one stop down the line to Wellington, formed of winners 170510/170514, taking a nice seat (once the doors were unlocked, as they are sensible and keep it locked up until the ATW service has departed) for the run down to Wellington where I had 25 minutes or so to waste before the Virgin service was due, and so had a look around the town, nice little town with an indoor market.
Back at the station I waited as the Virgin service (customers with tickets marked London Midland only must not use this service warnings etc), formed of dud 221115 to take me down to Telford, which isn’t the nicest of stations to cross over to the other platform, nor the nicest of places to wait around, thankfully the London Midland return service arrived formed of winners 170517/170512 to take me back to Wellington where 5 minutes later (Telford & Wellington have it bad, they get 2 trains an hour in each direction and both are within 10 minutes of each other!) the ATW service arrived, formed of winners 158840/158819 with the rear 158 detaching at Shrewsbury. Needless to say it was rather busy, when will ATW keep it attached when on a Holyhead run?
Back at Shrewsbury where grabbing a bite to eat from the station cafe, to await the arrival of the 67, back from Crewe, this time I was at the front, to get the 67 sound, the river was flowing quite well I noticed, but as darkness had fallen the return leg was less spent looking out of the window as I sat back down, keeping an eye out when it reached the rare tracks. Was early arriving towards Nuneaton where it stopped for 10 minutes at Nuneaton station (cue confused passengers trying to board thinking it was the Leicester train) and set off, arrived into Bedford 10 minutes down after waiting to join the MML but by the time it left the MML it was running 10 minutes ahead of schedule, reaching South Acton where it was held up before entering SWT land, and ran on time for the remainder.
I ditched at Woking as the tour was due into Basingstoke at 23:13, 3 minutes after the Salisbury train had departed (with an hour and 20 minute wait), and knowing that time of night, a Voyager normally sits on P1 for 5 minutes so it would be unlikely the tour train would be allowed to enter Basingstoke early, this was a good decision as 159108/159004 overtook the tour train when it was waiting outside Basingstoke and departed at the usual time alongside the 221. Back to Grateley, the end of a quiet day, some rare track covered and as a bonus I won 5th prize in the raffle! (£20 Marks & Spencer voucher).
20th December – Thameslink time
I decided this Sunday I wasn’t going to do a London bash, instead getting up a bit later than normal for a drive to Romsey to do a Brighton – Bedford run, to try and get a couple extra 442s in and also some East Midland Train units. Dud FGW 158951 was on the Brighton run today, getting a nice seat near the front, at the table, I could have done some linear splitting along the way but being stuck on a Southern stopper didn’t appeal to me, as I wanted to do some reading of my textbook.
However I did ditch the train at Hove and jump across the platform to get on one of the most pointless services, the Brighton-Hove shuttles (wouldn’t be bad, but it departs Hove a minute after the FGW departs, and a Southampton bound service departs Brighton a couple minutes after it leaves to Hove, a waste of a 377), the morning shuttle was in the hands of winner 377113, heading towards the front of the train to allow a quick exit to make a 5 minute connection for the Thameslink was rubbish as it pulled into Brighton on P1, behind the 158!
However I made the Thameslink, formed of duds 377520/377208, with me taking the table seat in the former first class portion of 520 (gives my phone a quick charge) for a nice run to Gatwick Airport, where I alighted and headed towards P5 where 442404 was waiting for me, the Gatwick Express branded services were running every 15 minutes today, but with single units, boo. 31 minutes later it pulled into Victoria, and after the ticket barrier decided it didn’t like my Brighton – Bedford ticket by any permitted route (with a print-out from NRE showing going into Victoria was a valid route), the staff let me out and into the chaos at Victoria underground, 10 minutes later I was down on the Victoria line platform, sadly it’s a poor design which loads from the rear, but eventually I made it to Kings Cross St Pancras, and heading via the WH Smiths at Kings Cross for some lunch, made it up to the EMT platforms with 15 minutes to spare before a Nottingham bound service was due to depart.
Formed of winners 222021/222020, and I found an unreserved seat in the carriage which is half standard and half First class (where the wi-fi is free as it thinks you are in the FC portion), and it sped off, original plan was to get off at Luton Airport and catch a Thameslink to Luton, but after passing 377520/377208 on the approach to Luton Airport, I decided to stay on. After visiting the toilet and wasting a bit of time, winning 43061 arrived with dud 43052 behind on a Sheffield service, finding a seat for the short run to Bedford, where I crossed platforms to board winning 319453 for a southbound service, which departed 10 minutes or so later.
Back to Luton (and after checking to make sure the next EMT would stop at Luton and not Luton Airport), I exited the station and walked a few minutes passed several boarded up shops, passed some shops with more security than fort knox, and decided to head back to the station where it was safe. Winning 43060 was leading dud 43044 for the return leg down to St Pancras, the train being in reverse formation, which gave me a good chance to making a quick transfer and maybe getting an earlier Gat Express than planned.
This worked, after the barrier staff tried to point out my ticket was to Brighton and the Gatwick Express branded trains were only to Gatwick, I explained that I knew that and I was going to catch another service from Gatwick to Brighton. Thankfully I managed to board 442424 (another winner) for the run down to Gatwick, where a quick platform swap got me onto a delayed Three Bridges Thameslink, with dud 377209 leading and winner 377518 behind, at Three Bridges another quick platform swap got me onto Southern winners 377421/3677424 for a quick hop to Haywards Heath, where a Thameslink service was a few minutes behind formed of winners 377207/377212, sadly the ex-first class section doesn’t have power sockets on the 377/2s.
Down into Brighton where I joined the crowd waiting for the Ashford train, managing to board and sneak into the FC section (nice single seat) of winner 171724, as it was so busy the guard even mentioned that the FC section was for standard class customers as the 171s only have First Class when they run in London, a couple passengers joined to get a nice seat, but the rest decided they wanted to stand. I stayed on until Berwick, and changed platforms (once the barriers had risen) to head towards the car-park, but headed to the other platform to be rewarded with winner 171726 to take me back to Brighton. Not as busy as the Ashford bound service, but still busy (and again the FC section was empty). Into Brighton an hourly earlier than planned, and arriving 20 minutes before a FGW service was due to depart, so grabbing a quick bite to eat, I hung around P2 as an all-station Portsmouth bound service arrived a few minutes late and was meant to depart within 4 minutes, and it was 377113 so deciding to hold back and wait for the Hove service which was due to depart after the Portsmouth service but before the Bristol service (and due to depart Hove after the service from Southampton departs to Brighton).
Sadly it was a dud, 377136, never mind as I was only on board for its short mile and 35 chain journey, where I changed platforms to wait for dud 158961 to take me back to Cosham, nice and empty on leaving Brighton and running fast (well as fast as you can do along that part of track). A couple minute wait at Cosham for the SWT stopper formed of winner 450074 where I stayed on for a couple stations to Fareham where I alighted with a 15 minute wait before winning Southern 377161 arrived to take me to Southampton. I had a couple options of getting back to Romsey; the service which goes via Eastleigh was on P2, or the service which goes via Redbridge 10 minutes later. The 158 going via Eastleigh was a dud, so I waited for the Redbridge service, would I get lucky and get one of my 2 remaining SWT 158s? Nope 158883 arrived for a short trip back to Romsey, highlight being some passengers failing to alight at Redbridge, after failing to work out that to leave the train they needed to press the button which opens the door.
Back into Romsey an hourly earlier than planned which is nice, and a nice drive home (ruined in parts by a SUV driving at 40 mph all the way back, even in the 50/60 parts, but finding the accelerator in the couple places where you can safety overtake).