• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Try a +1 at Fitzwilliam - not sure quite how we made it yesterday, but we did!

And yes, there are a few platform side toilet facilities at Leeds and they are indeed free. Incidentally, a platform ticket at 10p would be sufficient to use them!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
Fitzwilliam looks like an evil-ish station to get across in a hurry, although ramps would probably help rather than steps in the running.

Made up 5 minutes coming back from Waterloo, first time into/out of Woking's Platform 2 coming from London (Looked like the Alton train was in P4 after splitting from the Basingstoke stopper with the Guildford stopper in P5).

Can't complain, ticket-lady in the empty travel-centre sold me a Tyne & Tees rover for next Saturday without batting an eye-lid, although I would imagine she has sold them before as the area covered isn't that far away from Leeds.

---

My new favourite station name - Flowery Field (On the Hadfield line)
 
Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Fitzwilliam looks like an evil-ish station to get across in a hurry, although ramps would probably help rather than steps in the running.

It was a little evil but could have been worse - it has ramps and steps, the ramps being the quickest way to change platform, but it is a fair distance. Not helped when the police are in attendance looking for kids acting suspiciously...

My new favourite station name - Flowery Field (On the Hadfield line)

Just don't hope to find any anywhere near the station and you won't be disappointed :P
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
Is it like those Glasgow stations where it has a nice sounding name but is in a rough part of the city?
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Is it like those Glasgow stations where it has a nice sounding name but is in a rough part of the city?

Essentially! I think there was a thread on here fairly recently of stations that sounded nice that didn't live up to it - FLF (as the code is) was one of them!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
Anybody got any good tips for a Metrolink bash?

Annoyingly the day I have picked (the 22nd November) it seems the later advances back to Grateley have already gone so I'm booked on the 17:15 service leaving Manchester (although by that time it will be dark so it's not the end of the world), but arriving slightly earlier than planned at 10:07, so around 7 hours (£17.50 each way is quite good considering the un-railcard free fare from Grateley to Waterloo is around £32)
 
Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
It was a little evil but could have been worse - it has ramps and steps, the ramps being the quickest way to change platform, but it is a fair distance. Not helped when the police are in attendance looking for kids acting suspiciously...

Fitzwilliam is a lot easier than Appley Bridge!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Merseyrail guards do check tickets very very occasionally, but they don't do anything if you don't have one really... You might get a note on a pad from them if they have been informed that the facilites are defective at the station you claim to have joined at. If not, they might ask you to leave the train to purchase a ticket - and count yourself lucky they found you and not RPIs, or else you would have been issued a Penalty Fare. Chucking people off within the Merseytravel area on Merseyrail trains doesn't present a problem because all of their stations are staffed while trains are running.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is it like those Glasgow stations where it has a nice sounding name but is in a rough part of the city?

Summerston and Mount Florida spring to mind!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
I'm pondering when would be a good time to do the Denton flyer.

Anybody know any good hotels around Stockport station and also within the Lancashire rover area (for a Friday night)?
 

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
I'm pondering when would be a good time to do the Denton flyer.

Anybody know any good hotels around Stockport station and also within the Lancashire rover area (for a Friday night)?

Stockport Central Premier Inn is £29 from 17th October onwards http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/STOOLD/stockport-central
The are lots of Premier Inn rooms at £29 on Fridays from the 26th September, there are also some for £25 (They've got a sale on this week).
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
Although if you tip up at Denton at 10am, you would have missed it :P Knowing my luck it will be replaced with a bus on the 12th December

---------

15th August – Weekday trip to London for a big finish and for some PSULs

I managed to get another day off due to work being rather quiet, so made up of it by doing a weekday trip to London to cover a couple PSUL movements and to finish my standard coverage map, plus the aim of trying to score a 150/0 (and also the Chiltern 165/0s currently on hire to FGW), so it was a start for the 8:59 service, first off-peak service to London from Salisbury so it was rather busy, even for a double 159 service (lead by 159010 & 159106, sadly both duds), alighting at Basingstoke to have a quick dash to the local library to return a magazine to await 10am when my network railcard will be valid.

At the station, purchased a travel-card and went up towards platform 5 to await the arrival of the 10:07 service, would I get lucky and will it be 150001? Nope, but a winner as 165128 tipped up, so I sat in the first class section (only first class at weekends to the timetable), similar to the 171s nothing that special, same seats (be it 2+2) with proper tables, made a nice change though. Into Reading I saw the 180 service pull in around the same time as the 165 so had a fast walk to try and get lucky and get my 2nd FGW 180, but sadly I got caught up heading up/down the stairs and missed it. A couple minutes later dud 43088 arrived pulling winner 43027 on a Paddington service, so getting a seat for the nice 35 minute trip on the HST.

Arrival at Paddington was met with a transfer towards the sub-urban platforms (12-13 & 14), where the next Greenford train was due to depart on the 11:15 service, and I was lucky as winner 165006 pulled in (with a mixed of confused faces by the passengers as it was a Chiltern unit), as I took a seat for a quick trip to Ealing Broadway, racing a HST out of Paddington (and getting a good lead until it sped past when it was stopped at Acton Main Line), quick cross-over to await the return Greenford service, sadly my luck didn’t hold out as winner 165129 pulled in, which was quite warm, even with the windows open.

Into Paddington (my favourite of the London terminals), I headed towards the Sainsburys to purchase a meal deal valued at £5.94 for a mere £3, should keep me going for a while, as I headed towards platform 16 to catch a Hammersmith & City line train, which got rather busy at Edgeware Road, forcing me to force my way out at Baker Street to eventually locate the Jubilee line platforms to catch a Jubi train down to London Bridge, pushing the time I was a bit, as I fast walked up the stairs at London Bridge (lucky it was quiet) and as I walked up the ramp to platform 1-2, I saw my least favourite type of unit pull in, but a winner, 376027, for a long walk along the platform to jump on to locate a seat for a short trip to Woolwich Arsenal via Deptford. Sub-urban southern London, not really a lot of interest, houses, trees, small gardens, garages, green areas etc, nice couple tunnels around Woolwich though.

Heading down to the DLR platforms and jumping onto the DLR unit which was waiting for 5 minutes before setting off towards the centre of London, via the airport, which was a nice trip overlooking parts of London being rebuilt, lots of luggage at the airport, but pulling into Canning Town for a quick transfer across to the low-level platform for a Beckton bound service, and another nice little trip towards Beckton, pass the Excel, along parts of the former North London Line. At Beckton I transferred across to the DLR unit waiting on the opposite platform, getting a front seat for the return to Canning Town, high-level I believe this time. DLR is all covered, apart from the peak-time only services between Canning town low-level to the Woolwich branch.

Down again towards the Jubilee line platform to jump onto a train which was just about to leave for a trip to Canada Water for the interchange with the Overground, I was actually ahead of schedule at this point, and maybe I might have gotten lucky at Canada Water for a Crystal Palace bound service if it wasn’t for some people trying to block the doors at Canary Wharf causing a 3 minute delay, which meant I had a nice 14 minute wait at the Overground platforms for the next Crystal Palace service. The platforms at Rotherhithe are quite close by (must be one of the closest pairs of stations for Network Rail), watching as various 378s arrived and departed, mix of /1s & /2s before winner (I’m doing quite well) 378207 arrived to take me the short trip to Crystal Palace HL, with a large smile on my face as I alighted (in the rain) as it meant the standard TFL map was complete 

Crossing down to the low-level platforms to await the next service bound for Sutton, I was expecting a 455, but when I saw “formed of 6 coaches” I wondered would I get lucky and finally score a 377/3? Yep, 377308 arrived pulling 377315, so making use of the loo first; I located a nice seat for the short trip via West Croydon to Sutton where it terminated. I had the choice of either heading back to Tulse Hill via Wimbledon or via Mitcham Junction, looking at the time I thought it would be best to have a little extra time just in case the FCC service was delayed, so I jumped onto the Mitcham Junction service, formed of winners 319013 leading 319378 for the short trip up the anti-clockwise Sutton loop to Tulse Hill where I transferred over to P4 to await the Southern service to Beckenham Junction, where winners 455818/455834 pulled in to take me along to Beckenham Junction running alongside the tram line.

Across the bridge (against the flow of passengers) to get to the other bay platform where dud 465013 was leading winner 465037 on the PSUL service from Beckenham Junction to Charing Cross via New Beckenham, allowing me to get that curve in, as it started off quiet before getting a bit busier, emptying out at London Bridge, where I carried on for the short trip to Waterloo East, passing the new relief track being built. At Waterloo East I transferred across to the Waterloo main to do an attempt at 458/5 catching. Knowing a service was due to come inbound from Clapham around 17:12 I caught the next service from the Windsor/Reading lines side of the station towards Clapham Junction, a rather busy 450544 leading 450077 on a Hounslow loop service, I could have been braver and headed a bit more along the line, but decided to change at Clapham for a 15 minute wait (which must have looked rather odd to anybody watching) on the inbound services, waiting before a smile appeared when “formed of 10 coaches” appeared on an inbound service details, and an even bigger smile appeared when 458531 pulled in with 458533 behind.

First impression is that the seats are rather comfy, although I was only on board for a few minutes for the short trip back to Waterloo, a longer trip is required, but looks very modern on the outside (could be confused for a brand new train). Back at Waterloo I looked up for the Shepperton bound service, making sure I picked the service which was due to depart from the high-numbered platforms rather than the one departing from platform 1 as they leave at pretty much the same time. Found a seat on 455915/455910 and waited as the train got busier before it set off.

Very strange being on a 455 and speeding through stations, on its way towards Shepperton, via Richmond for the peak-time only service over the north curve at Fulwell. Train emptied out at Twickenham as it left the main Reading line passing Strawberry Hill and around the depot as I alighted at Fulwell for a 10 minute wait until the next Waterloo bound service was due back, nice little station is Fulwell, standing near the rear of the platform as 455864/455871 pulled in, and it was quite busy (busiest than expected as it was going against the flow), but it arrived into Wimbledon roughly on time, and across to platform 9 to await the Southern service to London Bridge.

It will be interesting to see how the new tramlink platform will fit in, but the Southern service was running late, and the crowds were building, running around 12 minutes late as 455824/455802 arrived in. First time of the day I had to show my ticket, but I do like that part of the line between Wimbledon and Tulse Hill, south London though so it’s nothing that special. Due to the late running, after Tulse Hill it was going to run fast to London Bridge, so another strange feeling as it jumped Dulwich, Peckham & Millwall, but arrived into London Bridge still 5 minutes down.

Eventually finding the link between the Southern part of London Bridge and the Southeastern side, now that the bridge has been removed, to do a running jump onto 465192/465196/466006 a few seconds before the doors started to close to take me along a busy track to Waterloo East with a sense of déjà vu as I crossed back to the Waterloo Main station, with 10 minutes to spare before 159010 was due to depart towards Salisbury, my run of winners had come to an end. I managed to get a table seat as it sped off towards Grateley, reading my book for an uneventful trip home.

But it was the end of another enjoyable weekday trip to London, finishing off the TFL map and getting 2 PSUL movements in.

-----

The line to Whitby from Middlesbrough, very beautiful. Even on a pacer (pulled by a 156)
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,838
Location
Nowhere Heath
Sounds like you filled your books quite a bit there, no doubt still some way to go yet though!

I didn't know PSUL workings were to be found on the DLR, I must look into my coverage there and get it sorted!

As for Metrolink, you should be able to cover a lot in the time you're up north, although you'll need to return in a few months to do the new line to the airport. Shame you won't have time on that trip to do any PSUL workings up there.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
I think there is a peak-only service from Canning Town Low-Level (from Stratford International) to Woolwich Arsenal, other times the only DLR services to Woolwich depart from the high-level platform (going by signage on the platforms)

I've changed the plan, I'm now doing Metrolink on the Friday after I attempt to do Denton (I will probably have to get a ticket from Stockport to Denton as the System One DaySaver train & tram is only valid after 9:30 (and it arrives into Denton at 9:32) (Although it's either that travelcard or a Greater Manchester Wayfarer, as I need to get to Wigan for the evening, I need to do some research) The airport link might be opened by the 12th December.

---

In other random news, winner 159102 appeared on the journey home (I was quite happy Grand Central service pulled in into Kings Cross at around 20:55, by 21:12 I was sat on the train in Waterloo). The only 2 159s I have left now are 012 & 103, as usual will be luck if they decide to appear on a journey from Palestine/Grateley to Waterloo

-------

Eaglescliffe station, quite remote and not a lot there (couple bus shelters, some seats, an old building which looks like the roof will crash down) with a small ticket-office on the entrance bridge

---

Couple of interesting things spotted at Doncaster, heading north (on the 8:00 EC service to Edinburgh), I saw coming into the platform an EC service with no rear loco with 2 locos at the front (the front was one advertising Sky)
Heading south, I swear I saw 2 First Hull Trains, although I'm not sure of the platform layout, could have been a northbound hull train service and a southbound service on opposite platforms going via Goole.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,838
Location
Nowhere Heath
Well done on getting down to just 2 more 159s to get!

I'm getting ridiculously jealous of your travels, mine are nowhere near as exciting, varied or frequent!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
Looks like a bit of engineering works happening on the 19th October.

Chance for the St Mary Cray/Chislehurst curve (normally peak-time only on non-stop trains between London Bridge & Rochester) and also the Fulwell to Strawberry Hill curve

Add in a diversion for trains heading to Woking via Staines (ie http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W10989/2014/10/19/advanced)

*goes off pondering*

Also it appears Reading to Paddington on a HST is down as taking 45 minutes, I must assume either the main lines or relief lines are out so the HST is pegged back by a stopper.

----

Next year I won't have as much free time, my text books for my 2nd year of OU study arrived last week (http://oi57.tinypic.com/28i9nxe.jpg). I can see myself taking one of those books or doing work coming back late in the evening when it's dark.
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
16th August – The return to Devon

I ha d a couple aims for my return to Devon trip, one was to try and catch the summer Saturday loco hauled train from Plymouth to Exeter and the 2nd was to return to Barnstaple, to see how it had changed (the last time I visited was in January when it was a bit flooded). Instead of doing the usual route down to Exeter via Yeovil Parkway, I booked a couple tickets to go from Reading, in an aim to get the Westbury avoider line.

Having a later start than normal (5:59!), I had a nice early morning walk to the station to arrive with a good 10 minutes to spare, to relax as 159010 arrived, and like the day before it was in reverse formation, poor first class customers having to go to the rear of the unit when it arrived into Waterloo. Changing at Basingstoke for the short 7 minute connection to the half hidden platform 5 to await the FGW service to roll in, formed of dud 165129 (another unit from yesterday) for the short trip to Reading station itself, arriving with an hour to spare before the 8:03 service to the west (Penzance I think, but it might have also been for Newquay).

I hung around Reading station, having a look around the shops area before purchasing a newspaper and some breakfast to sit down on the bench of platform 7 to wait as 43033 arrived pulling 43144 behind, and as usual I was in coach C, nice window seat (having to evict someone) for the fast trip down to Exeter St Davids, first stop being Exeter, zoom. Powering down the Reading-Taunton line, bypassing Westbury and sooner than expected it started to slow down for Exeter, to arrive a few minutes early.

Across to platform 3 to await the arrival of the Paignton train, formed of a winner unit, 150130, and it was slightly rammed, even with the high density seating, going pass the site of some new road being built around Newton Abbot, but down to Paignton to arrive, with a brief gap as 150130 disappeared back up towards Exmouth, as I had a 30 minute gap to get some early lunch before coming back to the station to await winners 143620 leading 153372 on a service to Exeter. Taking a seat in the 153, for the short 8 mile trip back to the main-line at Newton Abbot, passing a FGW HST and a XC HST heading down towards Paignton, once at Newton Abbot it was a brief wait with another FGW HST heading down to Paignton, followed by the service to Plymouth.

I had a decision to make, I had a 15 minute connection at Plymouth before the 57 arrived, the service was running around 12 minutes late, do I risk it losing more time and missing the connection, or ditching 43145/43163 early at Totnes for a 45 minute wait. I decided it wasn’t worth the risk of a fast running connection at Plymouth (and checking RTT later it was a wish decision with a minute between the times of arrival of the train from London with the departure of the train to Exeter). With an unexpected break in Totnes, I had a quick walk down the town centre area, just to pass the time before returning to the station to carry on reading the newspaper and finishing off my lunch. Quite a few photographers were appearing on the station, with the arrival time nearing as a train appeared on the horizon, it didn’t look like a 57, it looked like a 150/1 (no front gangway), the 57 had been replaced not with a 150/1, but with 150002, a 150/0, away from its usual line between Reading and Basingstoke, and a winner.

Emptied out at Newton Abbot (probably 5/6 passengers in the middle car) for the non-stop run to Exeter, arriving 10 minutes early, which was a nice run along the Dawlish wall in the sunshine. The early arrival allowed me to jump onto the Exmouth bound 153305/143611, to Digby and Sowton, no working PA moaned the guard as I alighted at the single track platform to await the train to Barnstaple to pass the train I had just got off at Topsham. 153377/143619 pulled in heading to Barnstaple, seems all the units were multiplied by 1.5today (apart from a double 143 and what looked like a 150/153/153 comb). Back towards Exeter Central, down the hill and away towards Barnstaple, the line of many request stops.

And what a beautiful line it is, apart from old track being dumped by the side of the rails, speeding though some of the request stops it wasn’t due to call at, slowing down at the request stops it was due to call at, and stopping at the few proper stops along the line. Some of the stations are nice, some are a bit basic, some look like they suffered fire years ago and hasn’t been repaired. Arrival into Barnstaple was met with the sound of pacer trying to stay on track, and with a brief turnaround at Barnstaple (one of these days I will visit Barnstaple itself, maybe for the winter-time), changing units to be in the 153, and it set off back along a beautiful line, back towards Exeter St Davids.

With my advance ticket planning, I always try and add in some time to cope with any unexpected delays etc, so I had 30 minutes at Exeter to wait the arrival of the Cross Country service to Leeds, expecting to see a super deluxe 220, or maybe even a 221 I was happy when winner 43303 arrived pulling dud 43207 behind it (which I have down as being attached to 43301 previously, so either they have been swapped around or I wrote the wrong number down). Quite a busy train with the reservation system deciding it didn’t want to show which seats were reserved and which were available, so quite a few angry/upset passengers were being evicted from the prime table seats, but it was a nice steady ride back up towards Bristol Parkway, for the first time of getting off the train at Parkway.

Seems a nice little station, nice little newsagents, I picked up a sandwich meal deal and headed down to the platform, where a crowd of passengers were awaiting a stopping service to Gloucester, which had no working toilets. I sat and waited as 43125/43191 pulled in (I’m forming a plan to do a day of HST bashing next year between Reading and Paddington before the IEPs take over on a Thames Ranger Rover), both 43s were winners for the 75 mile trip back to Reading. That section of line between Bristol Parkway & Swindon must be one of the longest parts of the UK rail network with no stations between them. The train got busy at Didcot, but I made a quick getaway at Reading station, walking at a steady pace over the bridge and down to platform 1-2 to await the arrival of the Basingstoke service, which was still 165129, to take me down to Basingstoke, for another quick transfer to platform 2 to await the train heading towards Salisbury, which was 159010 (again!) for the short trip back to Grateley, the end of a busy day around the West Country.

I did have a list of various spotted units, however I can't find it. But I do have a picture of 002 sitting in platform 2 of ESD
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
Bit annoyed though it wasn't the 57 loco set, but was a surprise nether the less (had it again today heading to Reading)

But I didn't think I would get any new track on my little trip to bedwyn today... I forgot about the HST service which uses the north westbury curve to go north to Trowbridge/Bradford/bath :)

Permitted route to NRE, next stop Trowbridge.
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
Ah yeah, Westbury East Curve, I never thought that would be a permitted service to use from Newbury to Salisbury!

Grateley to Bedwyn tickets. A circular route is possible, only at certain times of the day when the HSTs stop at little Bedwyn. NRE said to go via Trowbridge as it was the fastest route back (and still shorter than going via reading & Basingstoke.

-----

Had winner 159012 towards Waterloo yesterday morning :) Only 159103 left to get.

The line to Pwilheli, beautiful (and one I will return to next year)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
17th August – Redhill & Portsmouth

A nice day down the North Downs line was the aim of today, also to try and get a summer smiles ticket from Wokingham to Portsmouth, routed SWT only (available from the ticket machines, but not from the website). The only issue with travelling to Reading on a Sunday is the connection times at Basingstoke are slightly rubbish, the hourly FGW service departs just as the SWT service from Salisbury arrives (apart from the SWT services which omit Whitchurch & Overton which gives a 5 minute connection), so I was expecting today to be waiting around for trains.

After a relaxing drive to Andover to catch the 7:00 service, formed of 159002 for the fast service to Basingstoke, where I had a nice 40-odd minute wait for the 8:03 service to Reading, spent watching not a lot, formed today of 165118 (dud – although it looks better than the last time I rode on it), for the brief trip to Reading. I almost was in time to catch a delayed Gatwick service from platform 12 (I think), but sadly I wasn’t fast enough, so after picking up a lovely sausage sandwich from one of the food sellers on the new bridge, headed down towards the Southern platforms to sit back and relax.

Winner 458020 arrived with dud 458013 behind it, as I jumped on to get a nice seat for a short hop towards Wokingham in order to purchase Wokingham to Portsmouth Summer Sale tickets from the ticket-machine, routed SW-trains only which would make it an interesting route as the more common route would be FGW down to Guildford, then SWT to Portsmouth. I put them into my wallet to await the arrival of dud 166217 (last seen going to Worcester from Reading) for the brief trip down the North Downs towards Redhill. A very nice bit of line, although compared to other lines travelled it’s nothing that special.

At Redhill I headed down the town to have a quick walk, after noting down several 377s (interestingly the ticket-office still had Southeastern as a TOC which operated from that station, I wonder if that will be removed along with First Capital Connect). It’s a nice little town, but nothing that much of interest, so back to the station to await the arrival of 166217 to take me back to Guildford, quite busy from Gatwick, a RPI caught a couple youths sitting in 1st class without tickets (evil laugh), as it arrived into Guildford only a couple minutes late.

20 minutes at Guildford, as I watched as the Guildford-Newcastle 221 arrive, before dud (I’m not having a very good day with winning units) 444012 pulled in with a fast service to Portsmouth, finding an interesting single seat which lined up well with the window, near to the disabled toilet, one to keep in mind, for the trip down to Portsmouth (2nd time down the Portsmouth Direct Line) and there isn’t that much special, mostly in a cutting or through trees, passing some bags of some orange coloured objects, but a nice little trip down to the harbour pier, where it started to rain, passing the depot at Fratton and at Portsmouth & Southsea.

Due to the rain, I didn’t hang around for long, I dashed across to the Co-Op to pick up a late lunch and headed back towards the station, arriving into the station just as the heavens opened and a proper thunderstorm hit Portsmouth, for a brief moment of time. I had 2 options, either getting back onto 012 for a fast service to Guildford with 40-odd minutes at Guildford for the Ascot train, or wait and jump onto the ‘slow’ stopper to Guildford for a shorter wait at Guildford. I waited expecting a 450, maybe even a double 450, but was happy when 444011 pulled up, a winning 444.

44 miles later and I was back in Guildford, sitting at my lovely table with 2+2 seating, making a change from the usual 450s which run the Portsmouth Direct Line. Next step was to cross over and await the Ascot-Guildford service to pull in, to score some 456s, and 456009 arrived with 456013 behind, the southern branding removed, but still with Southern network posters stuck to the walls, nothing new inside, but another class scored, plus some new track, the curve between Ash and the Aldershot line, as the double 456 went down the line towards Aldershot station for the 10 minute break before setting off back up north towards Ascot, having only done this line previously heading south, it made a nice change heading north, as it’s a nice pretty little line.

Into Ascot for a 25 minute break, with an overheard comment from passengers getting on for the return service that “have you borrowed these from Southern?”, I’m guessing there must have been some sort of event at the racecourse due to the number of security staff hanging around the station, the former platforms still in situ, very overgrown, but looked like the track was still in place, not the easiest station to cross over platforms in a hurry, but a nice station, thankfully the crowds from the race-course didn’t appear before the Reading service pulled in. Formed of winners 455916/455911 (yep, a double 455, lucky passengers travelling the whole way from Waterloo on toilet-less suburban units) for the trip back to Reading.

Originally I was going to catch the new Newbury bound service to try and score a HST coming back, but decided to ditch that idea and headed back towards Platforms 1 & 2, to await (sitting in the nice waiting area) as 165118 arrived, for the short hop back to Basingstoke with a nice 15 minute connection with a late running service to Exeter (yet another door fault), formed of duds 159015/159020, quite busy as well, but a nice short trip to Andover for a nice little drive home.

Scoring a couple winners, covering a bit of new track, recovering some previous track, overall a good day.

22nd August – August Weekend Madness Part 1

As I managed to get away from work at a nice early time, I decided to take a trip to London, to cover the last Streatham Hill – Tulse Hill – London Bridge service, and also to try and get the curve between the South Eastern Mainline & the Chatham mainline which is used on a handful of peak services which run fast between London Bridge & Rochester/Chatham (before continuing towards other Kent locations). A nice little walk to the station to purchase Grateley to Chatham tickets (any permitted route), to await the arrival of the 13:59 service from Salisbury.

On walking to the station I saw a double 159 storm though, thinking that either I was early or the previous fast service was running late or it was an empty train heading to Waterloo for rush-hour. 159107 arrived bang on time and it set off towards Waterloo, original plan was to head to Waterloo, exit the barriers to purchase a travel-card before heading back to Clapham, however this didn’t work as we came to a stop a couple minutes outside Andover as the guard announced that the train in front had broken down so it was cancelled, 15 minutes later we moved into Andover where the train suddenly became crowded with all the passengers from the previous service got on, but the good news is that the service would call additionally at Clapham Junction.

The rest of the journey was uneventful, the usual passengers at Basingstoke trying to board the unit via the locked front doors before dashing to board, but soon was zooming towards London, stopping off at an unusual platform at Clapham Junction, platform 8, which is quite low down. Heading first to purchase a travel-card and heading towards the Southern end, to await the next service which would call at Streatham Hill, 10 minutes and around 3 trains later, winners 377624/377611 pulled in, good that they have toilets, bad in that the seats are rather uncomfortable, but I was only on for a couple minutes as Streatham Hill arrived and I alighted.

I would imagine the usual Streatham Hill to London Bridge service doesn’t get that many passengers, but as it was going to be the last passenger service along that curve for a while, there were quite a few cameras and passengers awaiting as bog-standard (winner) 455804 arrived with dud 455834 behind it for the nice trip to London Bridge, with a few of the passengers alighting at Tulse Hill before it continues around the Outer South London Circle via Peckham towards London Bridge. As for the curve itself, nothing that special, just the usual South London stuff on a lovely 455

At London Bridge, I find the Northern Line platform for a short trip down to Elephant & Castle, for my usual walking up the stairs, through the shopping centre and to the mainline station to await the First Capital Connect service towards Beckenham Junction, formed of 319220 & 319438 (both winners) for the short trip to West Dulwich for purposes I can’t remember, changing platforms at West Dulwich (not the easiest of stations to change from platform 2 to 1 in a hurry) to hang around waiting for the next service to Victoria, a couple fast units thundered though before winner 465002 arrived. Nice short trip to Victoria where it attached to another unit which I didn’t get the number off due to dashing off to the underground station to catch a District line train to Cannon Street.

Arriving into Cannon Street, finding my way to the national rail platforms, I’ve noticed I had a good 25 minutes to spare before the next fast service to Chatham, and noticing that the ticket-office was rather dead, I managed to get an over-distance excess for my Shrewsbury to Gobowen tickets to turn them into Shrewsbury to Chester tickets, saves a job for tomorrow at least. Heading towards platform 6 to get onto the 11 car monster of a triple 375, leading was 375614 with 375308 in the middle and 375702 in the rear, 614 & 308 being duds with 702 being a winner. I managed to get a good window seat in 614 as I waited as it started to fill with passengers, before the doors closed and the train moved away, running neck and neck with a 465-465-466 combo coming from Charing Cross approaching London Bridge.

Perfect example of rush-hour behaviour, the rear 465 was rammed, the middle 465 had the odd seat available, but the 466 looked empty, pulling into London Bridge as more passengers boarded, with announcements that this train runs fast to Chatham, the doors closed and we raced the 465-465-466 out of London Bridge overtaking it as the train used the Lewisham bypass lines to go onto the slow lines of the South Eastern Main-Line, passing various stations before pulling away after St Mary Cray around the grade separated junction onto the Chatham Main-line and it accelerated, passing through various stations, going underneath the CTRL with lovely views of the Medway viaduct, around a curve before going though Rochester and stopping at Chatham with a few passengers alighted. I noticed a FCC branded 377 passing the other way, plus a 395 & a few other 375s.

Chatham station has trains heading to a lot of the London terminals, Victoria, Charing Cross, Cannon Street, Bridge, East and St Pancras. I was waiting for a St Pancras train to arrive, as hey my tickets said any permitted route and I would be foolish not to get a bit of high-speed action (although interestingly it took less time coming from Cannon Street than it does to St Pancras, only a mile or so between the distances, must be the extra stops the high speed service makes. Javelin 395025 was the service of the day with a very well spoken train manager who was very fast at checking tickets. I was sat on the table next to the front loo, the one with a nice window on the left but nothing on the right. I’m guessing the little screens above the seats were meant to be for a reservation system which Southeastern don’t use.

Accelerating away on the 3rd rail network before passing Gravesend where it changed onto the spur to Ebbsfleet, I’m guessing the changeover from DC to AC happens when it’s stopped at Ebbsfleet, but you do notice the difference with acceleration coming away from Ebbsfleet as it makes its way under the Thames and alongside the C2C commuter trains before diving for the HS tunnels, very strange sensation doing that sort of speed underground, hurts your ears, stopping at the white elephant of Stratford High Speed, before accelerating back up towards St Pancras. I knew I had plenty of time as it arrived at 8:12, and the next Salisbury bound service would leave Waterloo at 9:20 (ignoring the 8:20). I still need to learn my bearings around St Pancras to locate the fast way down to the Victoria line platforms as I ended up going the long way round to get to the Victoria line.

Victoria than changing to the heritage line at Oxford Circus for the short trip down to Waterloo, I’ve got the exit at Waterloo worked out to be best by the first set of double doors in the 3rd car, stops pretty much opposite the ‘exit’ tunnel, passing some old escalators to exit to the platform, stopping via Sainsburys to pick up a bite to eat, I headed up to sit around 159107, the doors were locked as 159106 rumbled in, passengers got off 106 as the doors locked and it rolled forward to crash into 107, and the doors were opened as I got my usual seat and it zoomed away back towards Grateley, nothing that unusual with the return trip.

23rd August – August Weekend Madness Part 2

The aim of today was to complete North Wales, and get my last main TOC and do some of the Merseyrail network. However with the WCML closed, I was forced onto Crosscountry, a couple lovely long trips on voyagers. I headed up to the station, nice early morning walk wearing my high-viz, to await the arrival of 159008 to take me the 24 miles to Basingstoke, nice enough trip, as I alighted at Basingstoke to cross over to platform 4 to await the 6:47 service to Manchester, today it was formed of winner 220019 and I was lucky, not only did I get one of the 2 table-seats in coach D, I managed to get the one where I was heading backwards at first, but after the reversal at Reading was heading forward for the majority of the trip.

One good thing with the voyagers is the window blind, with a low sun I pulled the blind down slightly to block out the sun from being so blinding for the fast trip up though Oxford, though Banbury, following the route taken by the railtour I did in June, up towards Birmingham International and into Birmingham New Street, quite a nice line, one I wouldn’t mind returning to do it on a stopper service. At New Street I had the option of following the schedule and getting onto a London Midland stopper to Shrewsbury or waiting around to jump onto the Holyhead bound train, as my tickets didn’t have a reservation part from Birmingham to Shrewsbury, I hung around, and a good thing to.

Winning Arriva Train Wales units 158821 pulled in with 158827 (not that hard not to be a dud as I’ve only done 1 ATW 158 before), 158827 was due to detach at Shrewsbury forcing a lot of bags into the front 2 cars, a lot of people heading to Holyhead to get the ferry to Ireland it seems. 158821 was pretty much full after Telford, the unlucky passengers who were sat in 827 having to move forward had no luck on finding a seat, neither did the passengers boarding at Shrewsbury, as it went onto new track for me heading away from Shrewsbury.

The Shrewsbury to Chester line is rather odd, it’s not a main-line, nor is it a branch line, just a slow ride up north, but beautiful scenery entering Wales and crossing the Ceiriog Valley viaduct, running alongside the Shropshire Union aqueduct, beautiful. Meanwhile back on the train which by Ruabon was 10 minutes down (but still On Time to the platform signs), caused by large numbers of passengers trying to get onboard. I had to force my way out at Wrexham General, along with a couple other passengers, couldn’t have been much more room after Wrexham, madness it was.

My phone failed to pick up a signal so I made a rough guess to walk towards Wrexham Central, managing to find my way to the platform eventually (with a very odd timetable where the train is timetabled to arrive 1 minute after it was meant to depart). Getting a seat on the bench and waited along with other passengers, 11:30 came and went; the train disappeared from the display, 11:35 arrived as dud 150284 arrived (although this time riding it for longer than the 56 chain journey between Cardiff Queen & Cardiff Central), the guard apologising for the late arrival, changing ends and it set off on its way around 10 minutes late, quite a few passengers remained on board when it turned around.

Borderline line is quite nice, a few request stops, some trimmed platforms, but a good line, a championship level line in terms of scenery, it managed to make up 5 minutes as it pulled into Bidston, one of the few parts of the Merseyrail network which is shared with other operators. Everybody got off with the majority of passengers heading onto the Liverpool bound service, but I was heading to West Kirby, as 507017 pulled in. 1st Merseyrail unit, and first 507, super winner. First impression is that it is like the 314s around Glasgow that all doors open at the stations, and like the 314s the seating layout is bit rubbish, true they had bays, but they didn’t line up that well with the windows.

Sped off towards West Kirby, nice area it seems, but nothing that special, arriving into West Kirby with a 10 minute wait for the same service to depart back towards Liverpool, I headed out and found a little shop where I purchased some late lunch before heading back to the station to reboard 507017, I was after coverage not units today, for the 6 mile trip to Birkenhead North where I changed platforms to await a delayed service to New Brighton, formed of 507013, nice run along the seaside (see pictures) before arriving into New Brighton where the turnover was 5 minutes, so changing seats I remained on board.

The little 3 car yellow monster sped away towards Liverpool itself, going underneath the Mersey and underground as I alighted at Moorfields, to head to the Northern line platforms to await as 508127/508120 arrived, my first 508, and I can’t tell the difference, this took me south towards the southern terminal of Hunts Cross, stopping at Liverpool South Parkway, I think the only station which has 3rd Rail DC, overhead AC and diesels stopping which isn’t a terminal for either type (which excludes the likes of Ashford International, Euston & Watford Junction). A brief wait as a TPE 185 sped pass, as 508120 led 508127 back up north on the northern line to Southport.

I’m guessing the 508s are not meant for end to end journeys as they get rather uncomfortable after a while, and with no toilets were a pain, but it headed north, running alongside an old diesel track at Bootle, the other branches broke away and it carried on up north, can’t remember much of the journey though, apart from Waterloo. The northern line platforms at Waterloo (Merseyside) are a lot better than the northern line platforms at Waterloo (London).

At Southport, I watched as a pacer departed on a service to Manchester Victoria as I located a toilet and made use before jumping back onto 508127/508120 for the trip back south towards Moorfields, where I transferred to the Wirral line platform to await the next service bound for Ellesmere Port, made up of 507005 I hopped on around the circle and back out to the open air and down south, breaking away from the Chester line at Hooton and headed towards Ellesmere Port, the terminal of Merseyrail and another parliamentary service from Northern, the station building was getting rebuilt at the time of visiting, but seemed a nice-ish enough area, but soon I was back onto 507005 back along the 3 miles to Hooton, where I alighted with a 10 minute wait for the next Chester bound service.

A couple unused platforms at Hooton and a shop which was closed was a highlight, nothing else around that area which I could see, so headed back to the open platform as 507018 arrived to take me down south towards Chester, and the end of the Wirral line. In Chester I had a 20 minute wait for the service from Holyhead down south, I was expecting a repeat of the trip north, but was happy when winner 175115 arrived with a few empty seats. I do like the 175s, probably the best DMU.

Heading south along the redoubling works between Chester and Wrexham, back along the nice valleys, but I was looking at my phone as I had a 10 minute connection at Shrewsbury and the service was 6 minutes late at Gobowen, so when Shrewsbury arrived, it was a bit of a rush to cross platforms, as idiots decided to crowd around the doors without thinking that passengers were wanting to get off the train, I did my usual “excuse me” as I sort of forced my way through the crowd to get to a waiting 158836 for the short trip down towards Wolverhampton. The train was a bit busy so I couldn’t get a window seat, so I spent my time reading my book.

At Wolverhampton (a hateful station) I had 50 minutes to wait before the Crosscountry service arrived, so heading out I visited the Co-Op to purchase something to eat before making my way back to the station, to await the arrival of the voyager. One annoying thing is that I did not have any idea where to stand for coach D, but I was lucky again in having the table seat, however it lined up nicely against the wall of 221131, but it didn’t matter as the light had all but disappeared and the line between Wolverhampton and New Street isn’t the nicest part of track, areas look like a bomb went off and nobody has bothered clearing up the mess.

Sooner than I knew it, the train was emptying out as we had a stop at Oxford as it was running early!, great news for my unofficial 2 minute connection at Basingstoke, passing the Reading festival site, all lit up and into Reading for the reversal, leaving bang on time, things were looking good as we arrived into Basingstoke a couple minutes early to allow me to get the unit number and for a short walk from P1 to P2, to wait as 159001 & 159006 pulled in on the 23:10 service (beats waiting around for 80 minutes for the next Salisbury bound service) where it was empty, for the trip back home, with a nice walk home.

A very good day, covering a lot of new track, with Merseyrail crossed off my list, with both 507 & 508s ridden on.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,838
Location
Nowhere Heath
As usual an excellent read, glad to see you've made some good progress around the country and slowly conquering the network :)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
Owing to being tied to my office chair today waiting for G4S to arrive with some lovely money (other safe key holder was on a 'course') so I managed to bash out another day.

24th August – August Bank Holiday Weekend Madness Part 3

A nice little trip to London was planned for today, to do the First Hull diversion route, also to complete to Southeastern metro by visiting Dartford from the Bexleyheath direction & from the Sidcup direction, with my first BZ6 ticket (picked up earlier in the week), after a couple late evenings on the Friday and Saturday I planned for a late start, the 8:45 service, I was expecting it to be busy as it was formed of 3 cars to the platform display, but it was actually a double 159, 159106 leading 159108. 106 most likely started at Salisbury with 108 coming up from Yeovil Parkway.

Nothing unusual about the ride to Waterloo, got a bit busy, but nothing compared to prior weeks when the £15 return was running, at Waterloo I headed across the bridge to Waterloo East to jump onto a service heading to Charing Cross, made up of winner 466188 leading dud 465240. Once at Charing Cross I jumped across to another platform to await the service to Dartford via Bexleyheath, could have picked the one which runs to Gravesend via Sidcup as both leave within a couple minutes of each other. Leading the service were winners 466016 with 465165 behind, and I took a seat in the 466 as it was quieter than the 465.

Nothing that remarkable about the run to Dartford along the ‘middle’ route, just the usual South London suburban stuff, felt strange passing London Bridge where it was closed for Southern & FCC, with no 377s or 455s racing around, into Dartford where the train terminated and I headed out and had a quick look around the town, in a nice relaxing manner, looking for nothing in particular and buying nothing. I headed slowly back to the railway station with it’s nice new buildings, and the number of passengers who can’t read “no entry” notices on the stairs is a lot, and getting confused at which trains go to London. A good 10 minute wait before 465247 leading 466014 arrived on a service to Charing Cross via Sidcup, which got quite busy, but emptied out at London Bridge. I stayed on until Waterloo East.

The stairs to leave Waterloo East are quite long, to get down to the road to visit Sainsburys for some lunch before making my way to the Bakerloo platform, doing a rather silly mistake and entering the underground at the Jubilee line platform instead of going to the concourse and heading to enter the Bakerloo via the usual method of the stairs by platform 19, as it’s quite a walk between. Although not as bad as the walk from Elephant & Castle to the shopping centre then to the national rail station, arriving with a couple minutes to spare for the next Brighton service…

…Which was delayed by 10 minutes, so there was no need to fast walk from the underground to catch the diverted service to Brighton made up of winners 319218 & 319428. Quite busy it was for the trip down to East Croydon, via Crystal Palace, nice run though, but arrived 5 down to give me a wait at the tram stop for the next Wimbledon bound tram, formed of 2533, one of the older types of tram, for the trip though Croydon town centre and out towards Mitcham Junction, where I jumped onto winner 377613 for the short trip down to Sutton for a 20 minute wait before the next FCC clockwise Sutton circle service arrived, nice little town be Sutton.

Back on the platform, I awaited as ex-Southern 319219 pulled in, which had tables! For a circular journey towards Wimbledon, very stop-start along that route, mostly all island platforms before the track when down to single track to go into Wimbledon station itself and it carried on along the circle, back towards Tulse Hill, up via Elephant and going underground in the Thameslink tunnel, stopping briefly at the closed City Thameslink station to change from DC to AC before continuing up north, passing the old platforms at Kings Cross as I exited at St Pancras, 40 or so minutes before the Hull Train was due to depart, so I made my way towards the East Midland Train platform for my first trip out of that side of St Pancras, previously I’ve only come in. 4 platforms do not seem a lot for a terminal station, all gated with a HST and a 222 preparing, lots of passengers around.

Confusion happens as (dud) 180111 pulls in, before the gates are allowed to be opened to allow passengers to board the fully reserved service to Hull (3 of the 5 cars were group bookings, and every seat was reserved in First Class and car C), as I boarded early I managed to get a seat next to the door in coach D, before getting a message to contact Brian as they were lucky enough to get a few sears in coach C which were for no-shows, as the train pulled away I went off to meet up, can’t remember that much of the journey towards West Hampstead Thameslink where the train reversed up the North Tottenham curve to get onto the Gospel Oak to Barking line, and going back onto the East Coast and accelerating back to line speed to head northwards to Hull, first stop Stevenage.

Alighting at Stevenage with a few other forum members, it was a wait before the next southbound service was due and so wanting to do the new Hitchin flyover (which doesn’t blend in with the surrounding area), we jumped onto an unevenly loaded 365532/365534 to go over the flyover to stop at Letchworth Garden City, with some new lifts being built and in the process of being debranded with the FCC signage getting removed or covered over. Nice little town, but nothing was happening apart from the pub next to the station was busy, so after a brief walk we headed back to the station to watch some super luxury 313s pass before 365507/365639 arrive for a trip back down to Stevenage. I do like the 365s, they are nice trains.

Making our way to a pub, to have a quick drink and to carry on discussing various topics, before heading back to catch a slightly late running 180110, which is where they should have announced that passengers wanting a faster service to Kings Cross should alight and catch a FCC service as even the 313 stoppers would be faster than the triple reversal, over the flyover and back the way into St Pancras, some bored & fed-up looking passengers. At St Pancras we headed to have a informal forum meal in Pizza Express before me and Joe (I think) headed back to Waterloo via the usual Victoria & Bakerloo lines, hearing the sound of the last Salisbury train and going though the open barriers to find a triple 159, which unusually stops at Farnborough and Fleet, but it was rather quiet on 159007-159010-159001 heading back to Andover for a drive home, very spooky going pass Woking and Basingstoke in the dead of night.

-----

Some pictures (43005 ending a service to Paddington at Totnes, 150002 at ESD, plus some merseyrail pictures) https://www.flickr.com/photos/27666294@N02/15075537378/in/set-72157644502707352

----


25th August – August Bank Holiday Madness part 4

Onwards to the Heart of Wales, with a Heart of Wales circular rover, a nice early-ish morning drive to Romsey to park in the library car-park to take a walk to the station to catch the 8:10 (or so) service to Cardiff Central, formed today of winner 158961 (only 158953 to go before all of the FGW 158s have been completed) for the leisurely trip to Newport, along the Wessex main-line, having completed this line several times I noticed not a lot of changes, apart from around Trowbridge where another old building near the station is getting torn down, but as the weather was absolutely terrible (wet & windy) and the window had a slight leak where the rubber has spilt, I spent the time half-reading a newspaper.

Stopping outside the tunnel under the river to allow a slow moving freight train to clear the tunnel took an extra couple minutes of delay, to arrive into Newport with a few minutes to spare before the 10:40 boat-train to Fishguard set off, crossing over to P1 from P2 isn’t the easiest movement, with P1 missing cover between the new entrance and the previous cover, meaning passengers got a bit wet and confused as the seat reservations were placed in the front unit rather than the 158 behind, formed of 153303 at the front and 158839 in the rear, both winning ATW units, as it set off picking up at Cardiff, Bridgend and running fast coming away from the main-line at Britton Ferry to go onto the Swansea District Line to avoid Swansea, which I was quite happy about as it’s rare track.

Stopping at Llanelli and found not really a lot around the station or the area surrounding the station, thankfully the rain had stopped, but I either had an hour and a half wait or I could be naughty and double back to Swansea to await and catch the Heart of Wales train from Swansea and see if there was anything around Swansea for some lunch. So I jumped onto the next service heading back East, Manchester bound (winner) 175111 for the short trip to Swansea where amazingly the ticket opened the barriers.

For lunch I found a little “premier” shop a couple minutes outside the station, and was surprised that they had some rather nice pasta with meat for sale, quite filling and more than expected for the price paid. Back at the station I was expecting a dog-box to be sat waiting, but instead saw winner 150283, where I took a seat in the rear facing backwards (knowing it was unlikely someone would sit opposite me as they wouldn’t have much of a view), with around 30 or so passengers boarding (I would imagine if the weather was nicer it would have been a lot more). Back to Llanelli for the reversal, track isn’t that interesting until a few miles out when you run alongside the sea/river.

After reversing at Llanelli, it was time for the Heart of Wales proper, coming away from the main-line, and double backing along the route taken in the morning on the Fishguard train, the guard checking the tickets and making a note where people wanted to alight due to the numerous request stops along the route, loadings wise it never got that busy, but it stopped at around half of the request stops, keeping to good time, with some school boys getting on at one of the stops, all dressed in black coats, top-hats with little black ropey things, looked like a rather posh school going by the bags they were carrying. Anyhow back onto the glorious Heart of Wales line, which is glorious, sitting on the left (as I sat on the right previously) and it a very rural line running through some brilliant nature, with some nice bridges/viaducts. One of the best lines in the UK for scenery I would say, the slow train to Shrewsbury, the train you don’t want to miss (owing to its frequency of one train per 4 hours)

After being amazed with the line it dropped back into England and reached the Marshes line at Craven Arms for the short trip up north to Shrewsbury to terminate into one of the bays. I had 10 minutes to wait for the next train down south to Newport, which was running 5 minutes late (but still appearing as On Time). Winner 175005 pulled up, and what better way to enjoy the 95 mile trip down the Marshes line to Newport, the sun coming out at Hereford and remaining out for the rest of the trip, and it is a nice line as well, one only previously done on a steam train. I was relaxed listening to the sound of the diesel engines as they accelerated away from various stations until it reached Newport (covering some new track as well as previously the steam train used the freight curve between the main-line and the Marshes line), to run into Newport. I had around 30 or so minutes in sunny Newport to wait, so headed to Tesco Express to pick up some light bites for dinner (mainly a wrap meal deal) and went back to the station.

The FGW service was unusually departing from platform 4, a 150/9 was mocking me when I arrived back on a service to Taunton (if I hadn’t been on advances I would have taken it, as I haven’t done a 150 in the tunnel yet), and my first dud of the day arrived for the trip back to Romsey, 158961 (same unit which took me to Newport in the morning). Uneventful trip back, it was getting dark and when you leave Westbury there is pretty much nothing to look at in the dark, so spent my time reading a book and relaxing, the end of a busy weekend, and the end of a glorious day revisiting one of my favourite lines, which will be repeated next year, probably trying to go from Shrewsbury to Swansea direction.

30th August – West Yorkshire Challenge

For my 2nd forum challenge, it was being held in West Yorkshire, so first time in that part of the country, and was another early start, but my first overnight stay since Pembroke Dock back in June, setting off to head to the station to await the 5:24 service (I have no idea why it was timed 3 minutes earlier today), and unusually someone else was at the station boarding the same train (they headed towards the quiet coach).

Nice little trip to London, watching the sun coming out, for some reason I thought I might get off at Clapham to catch a Victoria train, but that didn’t work out when the next Victoria train was going to be in 10 minutes, so heading back to the SWT platform to await as winner 455918 lead dud 455873 towards Waterloo (one more lovely 455 crossed off), I could have gotten off at Vauxhall, but I forgot and headed into the main station for a quick transfer (via the paper shop) to the Bakerloo platforms, for a service to Oxford Circus to change to a Victoria line service to Kings Cross St Pancras, nothing that unusual.

To Kings Cross, where the meeting at McDonalds didn’t go as planned for me (I must have been too early or missed them), but picking up a breakfast wrap and removing the egg (I don’t like egg, so don’t normally have breakfast in McDonalds due to most of the breakfast items having egg on), and headed to the station itself to sit around awaiting the platform announcement. Thankfully the Kings Cross torture device was switched off, as platform 0 got announced as the Leeds service, formed of 91110 pulling 82211, found my seat in coach D to await the arrival of the other forum members going up on the 8:03 service to Leeds, sorry if I can’t remember the names of the members I was with (mind has gone completely blank)

Up the East Coast to come off at Doncaster for my first new track of the day, bit like Birmingham area in places (old factories half-collapsed, and waste-lands of former car-parks, and a dodgy looking football ground), arriving into Leeds around 10:10, where we had 20 minutes before the meeting, so the others headed to purchase the West Yorkshire Travel tickets (foolish as I purchased my ticket earlier in the week from Andover and was listening to the suggested ticket and didn’t pay the extra for the bus ticket), and to purchase lunch from Sainsburys. Meeting up at the buffer stop at platform 6 to do the introductions and teams and I ended up teaming up with Adrock who had a plan which didn’t involve buses.

The clock struck 11 (or was it 10:45?), and I think the majority did a fast walk towards the Ilkley bound 333005 service (first 333 for me, very similar to the Heathrow Express 332s on the outside, but for modern-ish units they looked rough, both on the outside and with the seats being a bit thin in places and the floor mat having tape on) for a quiet service to Illkley, a service which could do with DOO with the guard checking tickets without having to stop every few minutes to open the doors. At Ilkley we had a 20 minute wait, so headed out of the station to look around; part of the station has been turned into shops, but seemed to be a nice place, as 333009 arrived to take me and Adrock down to Bradford Forster Square.

One thing I noticed is that the platforms have been made taller (going by the brick work and that the fenced off parts which have been trimmed are a lot lower than the rest), but into Bradford to cross the city, going pass the building works for the new shopping centre to reach the Interchange station, finding the platforms to await the arrival of the Manchester bound service, a Pacer departed for Leeds when we were waiting before 150134 pulled in, my first Northern 150, and very similar to the FGW 150/1s in the 3+2 seating layout, but they have somehow managed to put more seats in (where there is a sideways seat next to the door on a FGW unit, Northern have got a regular double seat). Accelerating away towards Todmorden, the train was busy with football fans as it was semi-fast service (and Bradford were playing away to Rochdale), passing the new curve and alighting at Todmorden, to await the next service towards Littleborough, 158755, first 3-car Northern 158.

Beautiful line it is, some well-kept stations, and into Littleborough to await the next service back towards Leeds, made up of 150210, and sadly even that has 3+2 seating, alighting at Dewsbury for a fast cross-over to the other platform, thankfully the FTPE service to Manchester Airport was running a couple minutes late so we made the connection onto 185109 (my 2nd 185 I believe) for the short trip to Huddersfield, where we headed towards platform 2 (next to an old Mk 2 coach turned into a dining car) as a pride of the North was waiting, later than I had expected, but there it was, 142021.

At least boarding as soon as the doors opened, we managed to secure one of the bay seats for a rather beautiful trip down towards Stocksmoor, where it had planned to have a couple minute connection to get onto the northbound service, crossing over via the road bridge to be greeted with “We are sorry to inform that the 15:36 service to Huddersfield is delayed by 15 minutes”, which soon went on, 17, 18, 20, delayed, 22 before finishing at 23 minutes delayed, putting an end to Adrock’s plan to catching a stopper back to Leeds. However I was in luck as it was a pacer, but wasn’t a 142, but 144021, my first 144.

Onwards back to Huddersfield where a quick look at Real Time Trains picked out a couple options to make sure we arrived back into Leeds for the deadline of 17:30, as we jumped onto 144012 which was heading towards Wakefield Westgate, but ditching it at Mirfield (the station which looks very evil if you wanted to cross platforms in a hurry), to await as 150211 arrived to take us back to Leeds, arriving at 17:15, with nothing else we could do to boast the numbers so we waited around P6, one other forum member was there at 17:30, but owing to a couple delays most of the other challengers were late, but the score of 31 stations was easily beaten by I think everybody else who went for the bonus stations and had bus tickets.

After an enjoyable curry, I was with Lawrence & Korfeye (sorry, can’t remember your name :( ), hoping to score either a 155 or a 322, my 2 remaining classes to try and score, idea was to get onto the last East Coast service to London with everybody else to wait at Wakefield for the Doncaster electric (which would have been either a 322 or even a 321/9), the East Coast service was made up of 82205 leading 91116 for the short hop to Wakefield, where we said goodbye to the members heading back south to London, and alighted. A Voyager came and went as we checked RTT to see the Doncaster service hadn’t left Leeds (and got cancelled due to a train fault), so hoping onto the East Coast service to Skipton, formed of winners 43251 pulling 43274, going into Leeds and reversing, the service getting rather empty after Leeds as it accelerated towards Keighley, a music festival at Bingley with a lot of crowds, changing at Keighley to cross over to the other platform to await as my 3rd 333 pulled in, 333016 for the service to Leeds, getting busy at Bingley but arriving into Leeds

I said goodbye and headed towards a service heading to Bradford, formed of 150150 to arrive into Bradford, where I found the Travelodge, eventually checked in, couldn’t get the kiosk to understand “British” for my nationality (tried English as well), so went for British Indian Ocean with passport number 12345678, to get into my room on the 5th floor, thankfully right at the end of the corridor so limited passing traffic, to get a enjoyable night’s sleep, ready for the day ahead.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,838
Location
Nowhere Heath
A most enjoyable read :)

Ouch to a 142 on the Penistone line, I had the luxury of a 158 when I did it :)

Sounds like a great time has been had in Yorkshire, I do enjoy visits up there :)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
A pacer is better than a northern 150 in one way...


At least you can move down the car with its 2+2 seating.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
It can get quite cosy on a long trip if you end up on the 3 side and it's a busy train.

Hopefully the sleeper tomorrow night will arrive into Edinburgh on time on Wednesday to allow me to quickly dash back towards South Gyle to get some extra loco-hauled action before playing with the trams

----

Euston feels so dead this time of night, although I missed a 442 earlier (was replaced by a 377) between clapham and Victoria.
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
31st August – A day in the South Pennies

The day began in Bradford, after a good night’s sleep, checking out for a short walk to the station to await the first train to Manchester Victoria, before hand was a service which ran only to Halifax, something which I decided wasn’t worth it, until I saw the unit number, 155341, my first 155 so I jumped onboard for the short 7 mile trip to Halifax. Very similar to the 153s inside (as to be expected really), making lots of noise before deciding to pull away, up the hill.

At Halifax it terminated, so a short ride on my first 155, and I alighted to await the arrival of the Manchester Victoria train, not knowing what to expect, I was happy when 158843 arrived, better than a Pacer or even a 150 with 3+2 seating as it had tables. Onwards to Manchester Victoria along a very nice bit of track, having a delay at Rochdale station due to an ambulance needing to be called, so arrived into Victoria 10 minutes down, not to worry as I had 20 minutes to get across to Piccadilly, but would my phone work, not at all, bloody thing kept thinking I was somewhere else, but managed to get to Piccadilly with 5 minutes to spare to board my first Northern 323 unit (and first 323 since my London Midland Great Escape in March).

323238 was the unit to take me to Derbyshire, well to Hadfield via Glossop, the lost way across the country, the track disappearing into the distance at Hadfield, stunning views though once you’ve left Manchester area, a nice little peaceful ride out and back into Piccadilly again, one to revisit in December hopefully to try and get the peak-time service which doesn’t double back and uses the other platform at Dinting. Flowery Field, nice name of a station which I assume using the theory that a nice station name sometimes is in a rough part of town. Into Piccadilly passing the human gates, and to the little Sainsburys to pick up lunch to wait 15 or so minutes for the next Hope Valley line service.

The FTPE service arrived into Manchester Piccadilly from the airport, formed today of 170304 and 170306, both winners, for the beautiful trip towards Sheffield, via Hope (all I can say is that I live in Hope), beautiful part of the country, not that busy, but with power-socket on the table allowed to give my iPod a quick charge. Into Sheffield with the pacers lining up in the centre roads, first time into Sheffield and it seems a nice enough station, but I didn’t have much time to spare before jumping onto Northern 158905 (they look quite strange to me with a window in the gangway connection door), a nice enough trip via Barnsley towards Leeds. My original plan was to head up towards Huddersfield and catch a train from Huddersfield to Leeds, but engineering works soon put an end to that idea.

I had just under an hour in Leeds waiting for the East Coast service back to London to depart, I couldn’t link up any short journeys to waste some time, so I spent it hanging around the station, before the service got announced, formed today of DVT 82201 with 91124 on the back (both winners), quite a busy service with some grumpy lady having to remove herself and her bags from my seat, the sort who spent the remainder of the journey reading one of those massive broadsheet newspapers, but a nice enough trip back down to Kings Cross, watching the world go by.

Into Kings Cross for a short hop towards Waterloo via my usual method via Oxford Circus, and for a very poorly planned connection back to Grateley, which during Sundays has the trains alternating between Grateley and Whitchurch/Overton (and then waiting at Salisbury/Basingstoke for a while), sadly when booking my advances I failed to take into account the connection and so had a lovely 85 minute wait at Waterloo (allowed me time to relax and read my book), 159107/159106 (both super duds) arrived as I took a nice table seat and relaxed for the 72 mile trip back to Grateley. I think it was this day when it was delayed leaving Waterloo for around 15 minutes with door issues, so unusually it went via platform 2 at Woking instead of platform 4.
A nice relaxing Sunday, although I could have planned it a bit better to reduce wasting time at both Leeds and Waterloo.

6th September – Tees Valley

A busy day for me, as I set off nice and early, on the 5:25 service, formed today of 159001, for the quiet blast towards Waterloo, nothing that unusual happened with the trip to arrive into Waterloo around 6:45, a couple minutes early, must have had a clear platform. I did my usual trip to Kings Cross St Pancras underground, up the Bakerloo & across via Victoria changing at Oxford Circus (I’m getting quite good at getting onto the correct part of the trains for the fastest exit & interchange). Into Kings Cross arriving around 7:10 (I stopped for a quick bite to eat at Waterloo and newspaper).

50-odd minutes spare, so I decided to jump onto a First Capital Connect service from the suburban platforms towards Finsbury, to pass some time, formed of 313046 heading out and 313035 heading back after a couple minute wait at Finsbury Park (if any sort of delays than it would have been a jump onto a Victoria Line service back to Kings Cross). Wasted a few minutes, as I sat down to read the paper before the 8:00 service bound for Edinburgh, running fast between Kings Cross and York, which is very nice. Moderate in terms of busy, but as usual I had a nice table seat for the ‘short’ trip to Darlington, sat opposite a very pretty young lady who jumped off at York, I couldn’t complain. Arrived into Darlington 10 minutes late due to being stuck behind a late running Cross Country service, where it was slightly wet.

Sadly my left earphone has decided it didn’t want to work heading up, I could get it to work by twisting the wire so probably a loose connection, so in the 40 minutes spare at Darlington, I booted up Google maps to try and locate the town centre where hopefully I would find a pound shop to buy a cheap pair, to cover me until a new pair arrives (found a poundland, and got a cheap pair which did the job for the day, although were slightly painful owing to lack of rubber things around the ears, probably better quality than a pair of Apple earphones). Back at the station, I was shocked when my Tyne & Tees ranger actually opened the ticket barrier, and headed towards platform 4 to await the arrival of the 2 hourly service to Bishop Auckland (which is a bit puzzling why it only gets a 2 hourly service), and a super deluxe 142088, getting one of the bay seats for the short trip to Bishop Auckland, nice bit of scenery, the new IEP factory is coming along well (although you can only spot it for a few moments when there is a break in the embankment (future freight link to take the units away once built?), some quite basic looking stations along that route.

Once at Bishop Auckland, I didn’t have that much time to spare (owing to the one train every 2 hours), so back onto 142088 heading to the other end to get one of the front seats for the return trip all the way along the Tees Valley line to Saltburn. Along the line to Darlington where the train emptied out to be replaced with more passengers, which happened again at Middlesbrough, nice part of the world, before hitting industry in the Redcar area, how I love a bit of industrial buildings, smoking away, exposed pipes, lovely, passing an old station before passing Corus Redcar station and onwards to Saltburn, where quite helpfully was a Sainsburys right outside the station.

Picking up some lunch and headed back on 142008, again all that lovely industry, back towards Middlesbrough. 40-odd minutes spare at Middlesbrough with its dangerous structure and expensive shop (£4.99 for a WH Smiths meal-deal, more expensive than London!), so I hopped onto the FTPE service towards Thornaby, formed of 185139, nice little 3 mile trip and across the platform via the road to await the Northern service from Newcastle, and I got lucky as it wasn’t a 142, but 156484, my first proper Northern 156. Nice trip back, alongside the freight lines which avoid Middlesbrough station (sadly no freight movements today), and I sat back to await the arrival of the train to Whitby.

I saw a 142 heading in, my hopes sank before seeing a 156 attached to the back, 142026 was leading with 156481 behind, so taking a seat in the 156 (what do you think I would seat in a 142 when a 156 was available?), for the short but beautiful trip along the north Yorkshire moors, one of the most beautiful lines in England I would say, mostly single track, so we had a 10 minute wait at one of the stations which has a passing point so that the steam train to Whitby could clear the section before we were allowed in (following a reversal the 156 was leading), and what beauty, no phone signal pretty much which made it better.

At Whitby it was quite busy, and with 10 minutes to spare before the return service, so changing cars to take a nice table seat to await the return leg back along the beautiful line, only let down with the last 10 minutes with the run into Middlesbrough, stopping at James Cook, one of the newest stations on the network, and into the city centre. It was around 5:50 so most of the shops were either closing or closed, and I couldn’t locate any sort of supermarket or food shop to purchase a quick bite to eat, which was a bit of a shame, heading back at the station to await the Darlington bound 156455 back towards Eaglescliffe, a station which looks like it’s in the middle of nowhere, fenced off long platforms, some old building in the middle which I’m guessing used to be some sort of ticket office or waiting room. The Grand Central service was running around 5 minutes late, formed today of winner 43423 with dud 43465 behind, for the nice smooth trip down the East Coast back to Kings Cross, quite quiet. It managed to regain time to arrive into Kings Cross at 20:55, where I hopped off, for a quick fast walk towards the Victoria line and Bakerloo to get back into Waterloo for 21:12, heading via the WH Smiths to pick up a meal-deal going around the rugby crowds and I managed to grab a table seat on winner 159102, the 21:20 service, quite busy leaving Waterloo, and when it arrived into Clapham Junction it got pretty much full, I think passengers were left behind at Clapham as there was no more room, why did SWT put a single 3 car unit on what was going to be a busy service?

Unlike normal where it empties out at Woking & Basingstoke, it remained busy until Andover, and continued and I alighted (with probably 30 others) at Grateley for the short trip home. Arriving a good hour early, and with a day-off planned for the Sunday. Very nice, and some more network covered, I will return to Whitby, next year.

12th September – The Bedwyn rounder

The ticket Grateley to Bedwyn return (same price as a Grateley to Basingstoke ticket even when it’s a near 3 hour journey over 70 miles each way) allows going via Westbury (although only at some times of the day when the HSTs stop at both Westbury & Bedwyn), I was surprised when having a quick play it also allowed travel via Trowbridge for that once a day HST which uses the Westbury north curve (which is still shorter). Which gave me an idea (as I needed to visit Basingstoke for some supplies) to do the rounder.

As it was a Friday I finished a bit early, which allowed me to get home, changed and a quick walk to the station to purchase tickets, 10 minutes later I got to the front of the queue at the ticket machine to buy Grateley to Bedwyn day-return ticket for £8.90, and waited the 5 minutes before 159003 arrived with 159015 behind on the 15:59 service to Waterloo (which would form the 17:50 service back towards Salisbury), both duds, and both were quiet. 18 miles later I was in Basingstoke where I purchased the relevant stuff I needed to head back towards the station to catch the 17:07 FGW service to Reading.

At last I managed to catch a 150/0 on its regular weekday service between Reading and Basingstoke, sadly it wasn’t 150001, but dud 150002, onwards to Reading to await the arrival of the HST service to Bristol Temple via Bradford-on-Avon, announced on the station as heading to Bradford-on-Avon, as why would anybody want Bath or Bristol jump onto a train going the long way round?, emptied out at Reading, still moderate busy formed of 43030 leading and 43143 at the rear. I managed to get one of the disabled seats at the front of coach C, one with some nice legroom, as it set off down towards Bedwyn via Newbury.

That service must set some sort of record for having the most stops with selected door opening, out of the stops it’s makes only at Reading, Newbury, Bath & Bristol can all the doors be opened, the remaining 8 stops it’s “first 3/4/5/6 coaches only”, stopping at little Kintbury was a good experience, and alighting at Trowbridge I managed to get a picture of it at the station, rear coaches disappearing underneath the road bridge. Previously I’ve done the same journey going the other way from Westbury towards Reading.

Swinging away from the main line before Westbury and swinging again from the main line into Westbury to use the curve, the vegetation banging on the coach windows, good picture of all 3 lines splitting away from each other could be possible if the sun wasn’t in the way and up towards Trowbridge. A quick dash over the other platform to jump onto the late running Portsmouth Harbour service to save a 30 minute wait, formed of winner 158953, my final FGW 158/9 (although the service which I was meant to catch was the SWT 158 hire-in unit (so missing a chance to go first class, boo) on a Cheltenham to Southampton service. However it did mean having a lovely 50 minute wait at Salisbury, just as it started to get dark, which allowed me time to sit and relax as I witnessed a triple 159 arrive in from Waterloo with unusually the first 6 cars terminating at Salisbury with the rear 3 cars continuing down towards Exeter.

159006 arrived from Exeter, as another 159 detached at Salisbury for the short trip back towards Grateley, spent reading my book before the short walk home on a nice brief ~136 mile round trip taking into account some new track, and also a couple winners.

13th September – Pwllheli & Aberystwyth

It is possible to do both Pwllheli & Aberystwyth on the same day, although it involves a 5:40 start from Basingstoke and a Cross Country Voyager to Birmingham International and a Voyager from Wolverhampton to arrive back at Basingstoke at 23:07 (which is normally in time to catch the 23:10 back towards Salisbury), but I decided to do it over 2 days, breaking up the night in Aberystwyth. I was banking on the bridge being reopened on the 1st September to allow me to go the whole way, and thankfully it was.

A 5:25 start from Grateley awaited me, as 159012 arrived to take me to Waterloo, nothing much happened, and a quick transfer up towards Euston to arrive into Euston for just after 7:05, would have been quicker but the Northern line was closed, so Bakerloo to Oxford Circus then Victoria line it was. However this gave me an hour to waste, waiting for the Liverpool bound 8:04 to get ready to allow passengers to board, from platform 15 or 16, and I managed to get a good seat on 390126, for the blast up towards Crewe. The only reason for the earlier start is the 5:59 service from Grateley which ties into the 8:07 service towards Chester didn’t have any advances available (I’m guessing due to races in Chester). Witnessed something at Crewe, as the Liverpool train I was on was delayed departing the platform (some not so bright race fans trying to board it) meant the Chester service was swapped platforms, platform 6 I believe, lots of announcements were made, but some of the Chester race goers who tried and boarded the Liverpool service ignored the train they actually wanted.

20 minutes later, dud 175111 arrived on a service towards Shrewsbury, and looking at the timetable it is a strange service as it runs fast between Crewe and Shrewsbury, where as the majority of services will stop at least once. Nice little trip, bit busy, but I’ve covered that part of line (hence why I didn’t elect to go for the early start from Basingstoke). I had 45 or so minutes in Shrewsbury spare before the service towards Pwllheli arrived, I headed out (breaking my journey on an advance ticket, naughty me), in the search for some lunch, and I completely failed to find somewhere which sold sandwiches other than Waitrose, If there another supermarket it is well hidden.

Back at Shrewsbury station, I awaited as 158823 arrived with 158837 behind, heading into the bay platform for its reversal, so 837 was leading with 823 behind, with 837 heading off towards Aberystwyth and 158823 being the unit to make the long trip along Cardigan Bay, and what a beautiful line, running between sea and mountains, sadly my phone camera decided to go strange and eat up the Ram for no reason (suddenly it jumped from the usual 300mb used to 1.5gb forcing it to go slowly and close down) which lost a couple pictures (hopefully will be uploaded soon). I would put the line a very close 2nd to the West Highlands Line, with the only difference being that I did the West Highlands Line on the sleeper so had open windows.

I will return along the line in the New Year, hopefully to do the Ffestiniog line. Once at Pwllheli it was sadly time to change cars to one where the AC was working, and head back down south, train picking up passengers and leaving at the following stations, but beautiful, until it reached Machynlleth. I was tempted to jump at Dovey Junction to wait the hour for the Aberystwyth bound train, as Machynlleth that time of evening was rather quiet, nothing open, nice little town though. Into the station 158824 arrived with an unknown 158 behind which was being detached there and returning to the depot, for the short 20 mile trip to Aberystwyth, along the south coast of the bay.

In the evening after failing to find a restaurant which had food I fancied was open and had space, I ended up in a local pizza shop to get a takeaway pizza, which I ate sitting on the steps on a narrow walkway jetting off towards the sea, watching the world go by. My room for the night was in a little guest house and I have no complaints about it, shared bathrooms (but it was cheap), had a good night sleep.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,838
Location
Nowhere Heath
I most enjoyed the read, and I'm still envious of all that variety and frequency of trips! I would discuss it all more fully, but trying to type on my phone while on a Pacer-like coach journey (although I fail to remember a Pacer journey where the bounce sent my phone shooting up away from my hands! Guess what just happened...), plus I'm beyond shattered after being awake for over 19 hours now!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top