• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The use of "like", "basically" and "literally" in sentences

Status
Not open for further replies.

amateur

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2014
Messages
487
When people use the words, "like", " basically", " literally" in sentences, does it make them sound "thick".
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Engineer

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2018
Messages
524
When people use the words, "like", " basically", " literally" in sentences, does it make them sound "thick".
Personally, no. Use of certain words is not a problem. Incorrect spelling, grammar and punctuation - now that's another matter......!
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,951
Location
UK
When people use the words, "like", " basically", " literally" in sentences, does it make them sound "thick".

We're getting ever closer to the day where words like that will reflect a higher level of intelligence than the norm...!

 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,333
Location
Glasgow
When people use the words, "like", " basically", " literally" in sentences, does it make them sound "thick".

Not thick, no, but I do find it irritating when people pepper their sentences with the word "like".
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
'Thick' is a strong word, but it's true that the word 'literally' is grossly overused these days and, more often than not, misused. Coming out with a line like "I was literally on fire today" to mean "I did well", doesn't sound particularly intelligent.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
When people use the words, "like", " basically", " literally" in sentences, does it make them sound "thick".

When they are used in a sentence such as this:

basically yeah he like literally exploded blud innit.

Yes it does. and common.
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
'Literally' literally means 'not literally' these days - and I mean that literally.

" c. colloq. Used to indicate that some (frequently conventional) metaphorical or hyperbolical expression is to be taken in the strongest admissible sense: ‘virtually, as good as’; (also) ‘completely, utterly, absolutely’."
(This use dates back to 1769, including by Mark Twain)
 

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
Like is certainly misused, often as a pause or as an necessary link. I don't think people who do this are thick, but I am sensitive to it.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,816
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
One colloquial use of "like" that is interesting is "he was like X", e.g. "he was, like, I'm not doing that, it's too much effort".

It has slightly more meaning than "he said". It's often used quite expressively and includes body language, which "he said" doesn't.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
How about the use of the word 'so' before every sentence, or the adjective bad used without a noun (e.g. "my bad"), or the slightly immodest "I'm good"?
 
Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
Joined
7 May 2016
Messages
3,627
Like, I think people what use the wrong grammer are literally the thickest people going, basically that's all their is to it.

When people use the words, "like", " basically", " literally" in sentences, does it make them sound "thick".

To an extent, although said words are acceptable in some circumstances. I find that the bigger giveaways of a thicko are not starting sentences with capital letters and ending questions with full stops instead of question marks.
 

Harbornite

Established Member
Joined
7 May 2016
Messages
3,627
Thank you. I was waiting for that one. And, yes I am thick. So what!

I respect the honesty, but I suggest that you don't lord it over people for using certain words when you are guilty of making basic grammatical errors.
 

amateur

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2014
Messages
487
I respect the honesty, but I suggest that you don't lord it over people for using certain words when you are guilty of making basic grammatical errors.
I never check my spelling, grammar or punctuation on this forum. I just let yorkie fix it for me. Everytime I start a new thread yorkie is onto it. I think yorkie is the official proofreader.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,321
How about the use of the word 'so' before every sentence, or the adjective bad used without a noun (e.g. "my bad"), or the slightly immodest "I'm good"!
My bad and i do not care for are Americanisms arent they?
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
My bad and i do not care for are Americanisms arent they?

Including the lower case 'i', the missing word between 'are' and 'Americanisms', probably 'they' and of course the missing apostrophe in 'arent'? I don't think that the grammatic/capitilisation/apostrophe errors are Americanisms.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,957
Location
Devon
Oh man, this is a thread that’ll probably just keep on giving...
It’s like, hilarious.

Thankfully I tend to use my phone to post and with its predictive text function it can make you look more intelligent than you actually are.
I mean you’ve only got to type the first few letters of a word in and it does the rest... God knows what I’d come out with if I was on a PC!
 

Rob F

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2015
Messages
454
Location
Notts
Like is certainly misused, often as a pause or as an necessary link. I don't think people who do this are thick, but I am sensitive to it.
Me too. Some people sprinkle it so liberally through their discourse that it comes across as a vocal tic. It also adds nothing to the point they are trying to get across, so why bother?
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
Like is certainly misused, often as a pause or as an necessary link. I don't think people who do this are thick, but I am sensitive to it.

Me too. Some people sprinkle it so liberally through their discourse that it comes across as a vocal tic. It also adds nothing to the point they are trying to get across, so why bother?

It is at best lazy but frankly it is because they are thick and poorly / uneducated. The people using this phrase where not challenged as a child not to do something they have picked up from American TV.

How about the use of the word 'so' before every sentence, or the adjective bad used without a noun (e.g. "my bad"), or the slightly immodest "I'm good"?

I detest the use of the word so at the start of a sentence.

A further example is the use of the phrase - Can I get. Example at a coffee bar: Can I get a cup of tea.
 

Warwick

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2018
Messages
353
Location
On the naughty step again.
It is at best lazy but frankly it is because they are thick and poorly / uneducated. The people using this phrase where not challenged as a child not to do something they have picked up from American TV.



I detest the use of the word so at the start of a sentence.

A further example is the use of the phrase - Can I get. Example at a coffee bar: Can I get a cup of tea.

They weren't taught the difference between where and were either.:E
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
They weren't taught the difference between where and were either.:E

Being dyslexic it is difficult to pick up such things when proof reading, especially on screen. From and form/ there and thier cause the same problems - thanks for pointing out the mistake.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,645
Location
Isle of Man
It is at best lazy but frankly it is because they are thick and poorly / uneducated.

Like is a filler, which is a well-known and well-understood linguistic tool.

In linguistics, a filler is a sound or word that is spoken in conversation by one participant to signal to others a pause to think without giving the impression of having finished speaking. These are not to be confused with placeholder names, such as thingamajig, whatsamacallit, whosawhatsa and whats'isface, which refer to objects or people whose names are temporarily forgotten, irrelevant, or unknown. Fillers fall into the category of formulaic language, and different languages have different characteristic filler sounds. The term filler also has a separate use in the syntactic description of wh-movement constructions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filler_(linguistics)

It doesn't make someone sound "thick" any more than using the words er or um do. It's just a new filler word. It's preferable to the f-word, which seems to be a popular filler in parts of Tyneside these days.

It's not appropriate to use it in formal written language, but in spoken language (and text messaging, etc, which is informal) it is perfectly acceptable.

Using literally as a superlative does make me chuckle a bit more, especially in football commentary.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top