• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The thin end of the wedge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
This is exactly the sort of thing that will become commonplace if the NHS reforms go through.
 

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
This is essentially GPs breaking the rules on offering their own services privately, and using the current tsunami of "NHS to be privatised" stories to scare their patients. The NHS is not being privatised;healthcare has always been rationed according to cost and local needs (of course); there have been private companies providing services bought in for the NHS for decades. Opposition to the reforms has been whipped up mainly by: opposition MPs (who seem not to realise that much of what is proposed simply develops what their lot were doing); unions (including Royal Colleges); the media; some hospital consultants (who do not wish to see their empires controlled)
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
I suggest that any changes to the NHS be backed by a referendum. Then the Tories will get their just desserts with emotional scare tactics used against them

To paraphrase "She needs a new maternity unit, not a bank bailout"
 

Wyvern

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2009
Messages
1,573
That's not the message I'm getting.

But then I read the Guardian and the Independent
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
GP's have always informed patients of the possibilities and availability of private treatment. My mother was offered a private appointment with a consultant when she was a suspected cancer patient.

What we have hjere though, is a more sinister development. GP's will, in effect, be recommending their own services on a private basis. What safeguards will there be to prevent a doctor telling a patient that the local NHS board doesn;t offer the treatment, or that ther eis a two year waiting list, but if you want to, I can do the procedure in a fortnight for £250?

I regret to say that my mum wasn't given up to date and accurate info about the likely waiting time for an NHS appointment. Whether this was deliberate, I obvioulsy couldn't say, but it is something I am concerned about.
 

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
GP's have always informed patients of the possibilities and availability of private treatment. My mother was offered a private appointment with a consultant when she was a suspected cancer patient.

What we have hjere though, is a more sinister development. GP's will, in effect, be recommending their own services on a private basis. What safeguards will there be to prevent a doctor telling a patient that the local NHS board doesn;t offer the treatment, or that ther eis a two year waiting list, but if you want to, I can do the procedure in a fortnight for £250?

I regret to say that my mum wasn't given up to date and accurate info about the likely waiting time for an NHS appointment. Whether this was deliberate, I obvioulsy couldn't say, but it is something I am concerned about.
Yes, there are dodgy salesmen around, whether dealing in used cars or health care.
I must declare an interest here, in that Mrs O is closely involved in drafting the bill and amendments. I can safely say I have probably read more of the bill itself than most journalists!
 

Wyvern

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2009
Messages
1,573
. . . . . Opposition to the reforms has been whipped up mainly by: opposition MPs (who seem not to realise that much of what is proposed simply develops what their lot were doing); unions (including Royal Colleges); the media; some hospital consultants (who do not wish to see their empires controlled)

Well this is a blog by someone who is not one of the above, but has been at the centre of patient advocacy for many years.

http://blog.plain-sense.co.uk/
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top