• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Scillonian Ferry (Penzance - Hugh Town)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
Last week I had a cracking day out to the Isles of Scilly albeit going was rough with many passengers sick but returning was smooth.

I was impressed with the slick operation (sorting out luggage for the outlying islands and liaising with Royal Mail) notwithstanding how it is well timed to connect with gWr's Night Riviera too. The staff were great and the views were amazing.

I understand there will be a new fleet ready by 2026 to improve the journey time.

This thread is just to add your comments about the ferry, questions and answers and other thoughts about the Scillonian/Scilly Isles.

The staff who deal with sick bags on a daily basis have my utmost respect.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
I did it 11 years ago, with my (late) wife and dog. As you say a slick operation. We used the park and ride in Penzance and the baggage service was very convenient. Even then though the Scillonian II was a little rough and ready
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,384
Location
Yorks
I did this trip about fifteen years ago. Bit queazy on the way out but fine on the way back !
 

thejuggler

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2016
Messages
1,651
Did the trip about 30 years ago and the Scillonian III was a tub even back then.

Trip out was in a swell so not too good (I was envious every time the helicopter and plane flew over!) trip back was in bright sunshine.

We hired bikes and did a full circuit of the main island. I'd like to go back, I know someone who has worked on St Martin for a couple of years. but whilst Scilly Isles are nice I have never seen the attraction of Cornwall.
 

Ploughman

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
3,104
Location
Near where the 3 ridings meet
Been a few times over the years.
Helicopter is a must.
That too was slick and well organised.
Always turn up early as there is the probability that you will fly early.
One negative factor though is Never park your car near a lamp standard, as after 2 weeks of gulls dropping deposits it sets solid.
 

BrandanM

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2022
Messages
131
Location
Cambridgeshire
I've sailed on the Scillonian III many times. Only had one really choppy crossing where a few passengers were being sick and it was prudent to remain seated.

Last travelled to the Isles Of Scilly at the end of April this year during the World Gig Boat Racing weekend and next trip is in September.
 

Attachments

  • WP_20220428_05_49_55_Pro.jpg
    WP_20220428_05_49_55_Pro.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 51
  • P1080991.JPG
    P1080991.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 45
  • P1080994.JPG
    P1080994.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 52
  • P1080970.JPG
    P1080970.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 52

BrandanM

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2022
Messages
131
Location
Cambridgeshire
The Scillonian ferry has endured some testing sea conditions over recent days. The service even had a delayed departure last wednesday to avoid the worst of the weather.

It was relatively calm for the outward journey on Saturday, but the return from St Mary's in the afternoon was a bit choppy. They advised passengers to remain inside and seated. It's always surprising how quickly the conditions can change dramatically at sea.

The first pic is the I.O.S freight ship 'Gry Maritha' which passed us in the morning on it's way back to Penzance from Scilly.
 

Attachments

  • P1120749.JPG
    P1120749.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 34
  • P1120756.JPG
    P1120756.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 39
  • P1120757.JPG
    P1120757.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 38
  • P1120794.JPG
    P1120794.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 37
  • P1120804.JPG
    P1120804.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 34
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top