I first went to San Francisco in 1971, whilst still at (UK) school. The excavations were in full progress. PCC cars on the Market Street route were picking their way through the works. Went back in 1974, BART was open (though I think not the Transbay tunnel), but the Muni Metro tracks above were not, so the PCC cars were still in full swing on the reinstated street tracks above. There were still substantial excavations for the Muni tunnels around Duboce, after BART turns off. For whatever reason it took further years to get the Muni tunnels going, I think after 1980. Next there in 1983, it was all finished, but the street tracks were still in situ. Amazingly the street service came back, after various special events, in 1995, with those original PCC cars, and still runs today. I think these wonderful old cars have now run for longer in this reinstated all-day service than they did in their original mainstream life. They have been painted up in the liveries of various other USA cities, but the cars themselves are mainly the old San Francisco fleet.