• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The right of the 14 time limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
. . . .
But if you lose your £4.95 train ticket, there's always the possibility that the replacement ticket costs £49.95.
Not an issue. In my case it's likely to be near £100, but I treat even bargain Advance tickets with the care I'd attach to £100 tickets. We should treat those things which are in our possession with the care and attention which is appropriate to the consequences of carelessness, not the cost of aquisition (if I need to illustrate this, then we should drive a car on the road or operate a power drill at height over a pavement with the care which attaches to a £5 million personal injury claim, not the cost of the car or drill).
 

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
Try going back to a bank saying "I took a £20 note out of the cashpoint and I lost it, can I have another one please?",

You may jest but when I worked in the bank I did have this request, more than once. You will probably not be surprised to hear that there was usually a sob story attached which may have involved a robbery, a sick grandma/child/neighbour, someone stranded a long way from home and/or a dead/injured pet.

Back on topic - I've lost tickets twice. The first time I must have thrown the return ticket away in error, as I still had the outward tickets neatly tucked in my wallet. I noticed this before I got to the station so I had to buy another ticket. It did not occur to me to "try my luck" - I just accepted the error of my ways and cut back on beer that evening to cover the cost.

The other time I must have left my ticket on the train and I only realised when I got to the barrier. I fully expected to be in trouble but I must have an honest face as I explained to the chap what had happened, showed him my booking confirmation, the used outbound ticket and asked how much it was going to cost me to buy a new ticket. He let me through with a warning to be more careful in future. I was prepared to pay but I hope would have been able to resolve my mistake without finding myself on the wrong end of a court summons...
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,063
Location
Sheffield
Back on topic - I've lost tickets twice. The first time I must have thrown the return ticket away in error, as I still had the outward tickets neatly tucked in my wallet.

I only recall losing tickets twice too and, strangely, one was exactly this. I did not discover the fact until I got home (there was no check on the train) and went to dispose of the return ticket. Lesson learned, I now never dispose of any tickets until I get home.

The other was not exactly 'lost'. About to board a train at Lisbon Oriente, I took out my ticket to double check my seat number and gust of wind took it out of my hand down under the train. Fortunately, a staff member was right there and despite the lack of a common language I was able to demonstrate what had happened and he waved me on board (it was the last train of the day). Expecting an interesting discussion when the conductor arrived, I was surprised to be told that my ticket had been retrieved after the train departed and details had been phoned through to him. He proceeded to give me a handwritten note which explained the circumstances and said I should show this if I was asked for a ticket on the connecting local train from Porto (I wasn't). Lesson learned there - if I now need to remind myself of my seat number, I wait until I am actually on board !
 

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
3,275
Maybe some staff could learn not to be so cynical?
Just a thought...

Maybe all passengers could pay their fare... If that was the case, then staff would be more inclined to believe when a passenger says that they have lost their tickets.

Sadly people do fare dodge and use the excuse that they have lost their ticket.

And yes, I've lost my ticket before. Like DaveNewcastle, I swallowed the extra cost and bought another. It was something I could ill afford, however it had to be done.
 
Last edited:

CSGO

Member
Joined
17 Jul 2015
Messages
6
Location
Cambridgeshire
This has gone way off track. I phoned up the prosecutions dept and explained everything in my original post to them. They are letting me off with a 57 quid fine. Dodged a bullet if you ask me
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Exactly, it's a case of taking responsibility for our own actions.

Can't see that catching on:lol:!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The big difference though is that if you lose your £4.95 lunch, the replacement lunch also costs £4.95.

But if you lose your £4.95 train ticket, there's always the possibility that the replacement ticket costs £49.95.

So look after it then!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top