70014IronDuke
Established Member
- Joined
- 13 Jun 2015
- Messages
- 4,089
Not an operational "incident" - but this anecdote I presume put me well to the left (?) of the blame culture.
41 years ago, at the depot I was at, we had a Cl 47 which was regularly stopped for "need to replace Motak". It was my job to find out why, and solve it.
Motak is (was?) the thick black gunge put into the gear box which houses the traction motor drive to the axle. When running, of course, the higher temperature means it's a more runny oil lubricant. That's its job.
Well, we could not fathom what was wrong, so after a few weeks of trying, and all the motak tanks were still obviously leaking. we reluctantly sent the loco to be lifted (obviously an expense, so wanted to avoid this). A day or two later the answer came back:the seals which should have been inserted around the axle gear wheel casing (I think it was) were missing on all axles.
the only way this could have happened was for a failure to fit them at a major exam (and E, I think) or when in the shops for overhaul. But as it hadn't had the relevant exam, all the evidence pointed to a failure to fit after overhaul- which happened to be at Crewe. Well, i went up to Crewe to speak to the examiners, and wrote the report - which concluded that Crewe was at fault.
But rather than just send this to the regional CMEE and let Crewe know indirectly that way, I phoned them up beforehand. I said I was not trying to have a blame game, I wanted to warn them what was coming because the whole point was to avoid any repeats, not nail someone or some team to the cross.
Although I was pretty sure i would never go to Crewe again, I also thought this way, should it ever happen, or even should another guy have some kind of similar job to do, he would be received well and get cooperation for any future enquiry.
AFAIR Crewe said thanks for the notice, and some form of extra checking was created to ensure that problem did not happen again.
My view was simply we were all one team that needed best to pull together and get the best job done.
41 years ago, at the depot I was at, we had a Cl 47 which was regularly stopped for "need to replace Motak". It was my job to find out why, and solve it.
Motak is (was?) the thick black gunge put into the gear box which houses the traction motor drive to the axle. When running, of course, the higher temperature means it's a more runny oil lubricant. That's its job.
Well, we could not fathom what was wrong, so after a few weeks of trying, and all the motak tanks were still obviously leaking. we reluctantly sent the loco to be lifted (obviously an expense, so wanted to avoid this). A day or two later the answer came back:the seals which should have been inserted around the axle gear wheel casing (I think it was) were missing on all axles.
the only way this could have happened was for a failure to fit them at a major exam (and E, I think) or when in the shops for overhaul. But as it hadn't had the relevant exam, all the evidence pointed to a failure to fit after overhaul- which happened to be at Crewe. Well, i went up to Crewe to speak to the examiners, and wrote the report - which concluded that Crewe was at fault.
But rather than just send this to the regional CMEE and let Crewe know indirectly that way, I phoned them up beforehand. I said I was not trying to have a blame game, I wanted to warn them what was coming because the whole point was to avoid any repeats, not nail someone or some team to the cross.
Although I was pretty sure i would never go to Crewe again, I also thought this way, should it ever happen, or even should another guy have some kind of similar job to do, he would be received well and get cooperation for any future enquiry.
AFAIR Crewe said thanks for the notice, and some form of extra checking was created to ensure that problem did not happen again.
My view was simply we were all one team that needed best to pull together and get the best job done.
Last edited: