• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Railway Magazine - January 1959

Joined
21 Feb 2018
Messages
926
This article gives a quick review of the January 1959 issue of the Railway Magazine. …

Editorial Notes

Looking back at past editorials in The Railway Magazine highlights the ongoing debate at the time over the best form of terrestrial travel – road -v- rail.

In the January 1959 issue of the magazine, which saw O.S. Nock assuming the authorship of the long running monthly article, ‘Locomotive Practice and Performance’, the editorial focussed on:
  • Road and Rail Fares and Services
  • Public Reliance on Railways
  • First British AC Electric Locomotive
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
21 Feb 2018
Messages
926

Developments in Freight Transport – The Railway Magazine – January 1959​


A, then, recent exhibition at Battersea Wharf Goods Depot of British Railways and British Road Services freight vehicles and handling equipment prompted a review in The Railway Magazine of January 1959, of developments in the handling of freight. The emphasis of the exhibition was on the improvement of door-to-door services. It was part of the broader Modernisation and Re-Equipment of the British Railways plan launched in 1954, which sought to modernize and improve freight services in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

The location of Battersea Wharf Goods Depot as it appears on the 1913 25″ Ordnance Survey which was published in 1916. [17]

The Freight Transport Exhibition at Battersea Wharf Goods Depot in London was held from 28th–30th October 1958. It was a major showcase organized by the British Transport Commission.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,333
It was long traditional in the Railway Magazine that the January issue had a focus on Scotland (as here), and the May issue a comparable one on Ireland.
 
Joined
21 Feb 2018
Messages
926
It was long traditional in the Railway Magazine that the January issue had a focus on Scotland (as here), and the May issue a comparable one on Ireland.
Yes, Taunton.

I find these old Railway Magazines quite compelling, in a way that their modern offerings just seem not to grab my attention.

Best wishes

Roger
 

Rover

Member
Joined
23 Sep 2011
Messages
557
Location
Derbyshire
Yes, I have a bound volume of 1979 which I still look through occasionally as I too find them very interesting as opposed to todays offerings, unfortunately I didn't keep buying them, something I now regret. Thanks for the articles, 1959 - the year of my birth!
 
Joined
21 Feb 2018
Messages
926
Yes, I have a bound volume of 1979 which I still look through occasionally as I too find them very interesting as opposed to todays offerings, unfortunately I didn't keep buying them, something I now regret. Thanks for the articles, 1959 - the year of my birth!
1960 was mine!
 

Falcon1200

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2021
Messages
6,612
Location
Neilston, East Renfrewshire
When I was at primary school (until 1971!) the school secretary's husband sadly died, and knowing that I and another boy were interested in trains, she divided his collection of Railway Magazines, dating from 1950, between us. In subsequent years I filled in the gaps and now have a collection right up to the present day.
 
Joined
21 Feb 2018
Messages
926
You must have quite a few shelves with the magazines on. Is it just 'The Railway Magazine' or do you collect others?
 

nanstallon

Member
Joined
18 Dec 2015
Messages
1,063
Railway Magazine used (a long time ago) to have a lot of historical and topographical articles.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,333
It's a shame that, during the era that DVDs were in vogue, the various old rail magazines were never made available in that format, and now things have moved on such that historic libraries are no longer practical.
 

Top