Verbal abuse is calling people names and insulting them, questioning their parentage, abusing their race. Merely shouting at them is not.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Please do not mis-quote me to suit your apparent attempted bullying of me. I repeat, I have not anywhere said or implied it is acceptable to shout at staff. I took pains to carefully write a reply explain this. You have totally ignored this and continue to harangue me whilst deliberately - it seems - misreading my reply. The bloke in the episode was being shouted at, that is not acceptable but it is a fact of life during the situation portrayed. He was not being verbally abused. Being shouted at is not verbal abuse - or has the dictionary definition changed since I sat a G.C.E. "O" level English paper in 1966? It seems to me that people nowadays are a little more sensitive than we post war baby boomers. Or perhaps as a woman I just have a little too much common sense for you.
I originally came on to this web site to try and obtain some help for a ticketing question. I thought I'd stay and try and find out more about the "how things work" side of the railways that I commuted to London and back on for over thirty years. All I've really learned is that apparently:
passengers are a nuisance
passengers should never complain
passengers should always be grateful no matter how bad it is
the railway staff are always right
Well if we're going to nitpick, then maybe what was seen in the programme is verbal aggression, which is not exactly a positive thing either.
I do not work for FGW, or the railway, but have on occasions encountered this in my line of work and find it equally as unacceptable as the rail staff posting here. It may well be the way that some people react to situations they don't like, but that doesn't make it right.
Some passengers are just plain nasty - and they don't all wear hoodies. I still vividly recall an incident a few years ago travelling into Oxford where the train manager carried out a ticket check and encountered a man with a pretty cut-glass accent who did not exactly appear to be down to his last penny, who had: no ticket; no money; no bank card; and no intention to pay. But plenty of attitude. He was adamant that he was going to travel all the way to London, where, he loudly informed the entire carriage, his wife would meet him and pay.
The train manager was patience itself in the face of some pretty extreme verbal aggression for about 15 minutes, trying to explain that the man would have to get off at Oxford and arrange for a ticket to be paid for there, then gave up and went off to call for more staff and police to meet the train at Oxford and remove the man, which they duly did and escorted him off the platform. He wasn't arrested but deserved to be.