• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The peculiar world of NXEA

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,902
Location
East Anglia
More strangeness from the depths of East Anglia.

317s & 321s are still being sent to Doncaster for repainting and a recent effort has been made to repaint station lamp posts into NX colours, but some of the earlier painted 321s are running around with the "national express" wording and "circuit" livery stripes removed. If NXEA has started de-branding the fleet already, what is with all the repainting still?

Has to be done as part of franchise agreement. Even if things look tatty as hell throughout the awful & wasted 7 years, NX must leave them in a decent state for the next operator.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

captainbigun

Member
Joined
3 May 2009
Messages
977
Level 5 is down to the ROSCO and not the operator. Hence 321s continue to be overhauled, nowt to do with NatEx. Thankfully.
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
I've noticed that the first few 317/6s to be repainted (649, 651, 650) still have the WAGN interior, is there are a particular reason for this? Considering that those three units were the last in WAGN livery, I think it's somewhat nostalgic.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
Has to be done as part of franchise agreement. Even if things look tatty as hell throughout the awful & wasted 7 years, NX must leave them in a decent state for the next operator.

Which reminds me - is the leasing company still asking them awkward questions about 317 511's time out of service?
 
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
806
Location
London
Which reminds me - is the leasing company still asking them awkward questions about 317 511's time out of service?

It's in A shop at Ilford. It's been repainted and last week was undergoing static power trials (whatever they do there). I know no more but watch this space.
 

whhistle

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
2,636
I agree. It's a total waste - nobody gives a damn about their brand or corporate colours particularly (except maybe enthusiasts!) and yet it's always the first (and often only) thing a new TOC will invest in.

That's because brand image is VERY important to any company.
If you ever work in marketing and media, you'll learn this.

First are VERY good at making sure they are current and updated. However it has been proven that making only very small changes to brand logos and identities works better than a whole new fresh look.




Think it depends on if you agree, if a company defaults on one franchise, should it be allowed to carry on with others? Sounds like through comments on here they do a great job with c2c but they has to be some penalty for making idiotic business decisions.
Ah ha, but you must also remember that the different franchises are run under two different businesses. Virgin West Coast and Virgin Cross Country were two different businesses too. Yes, they may run with the same colours and similar names (East Midlands Trains / South West Trains), but they are separate businesses, therefore what affects one will not always affect the other.

That is the failure of the "Group" or HQ of the group - their service is not consistent over the different businesses it owns.

Tut, sorry just realised how old this thread is :P
 
Last edited:

365201

Member
Joined
2 Aug 2011
Messages
14
Just received an Email from a trusted friend whom works at National Express, not going into detail but Abello have won the franchise it has not been made public just yet,
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,658
Location
Hampshire
Just received an Email from a trusted friend whom works at National Express, not going into detail but Abello have won the franchise it has not been made public just yet,

Interesting! On the bus side, Abellio seem to be picking up several bits of Nat Ex's pieces, so it'll be interesting to see what happens to Great Eastern through this interim franchise...Perhaps some sense and pride in the company first ?
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,129
Location
Redcar
Iso it'll be interesting to see what happens to Great Eastern through this interim franchise

Personally I expect a unit or two to get their livery and that to be about it. Unless they decide to gamble and bring in some longer term changes in the hope that doing so would make it much easier for them to win the long term franchise in 2014.

Though thinking about it hasn't this one been let on the premise of being a management contract, in other words just keeping things ticking over rather than making any changes (of any sort)?

To me the whole exercise seems ludicrous, either the DfT should have a) extended NXEA until 2014 or b) brought in DOR to run an interim franchise or c) maned up and let the long term franchise now rather than dithering around spending millions on one competition only to hold another one in a couple of years whilst in the meantime Greater Anglia stagnates.
 

SprinterMan

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
2,341
Location
Hertford
Just received an Email from a trusted friend whom works at National Express, not going into detail but Abello have won the franchise it has not been made public just yet,

If true, it is great that a decision has been made, and finally the NXEA menace will be reduced to a footnote in/of* history :)

*should this be in or of, I'm not sure :P
 

eastdyke

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
2,058
Location
East Midlands
GEML seems rather chaotic today. There have been a number of cancellations and 'short' runs.

Just come from Norwich station and the 17.30 to 'LST' comprised 2 cars.

153309 at the Norwich end, didn't see what was on the 'front'.

Announcement indicated that passengers would be transferred to 'another train' at Ipswich.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,947
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Just received an Email from a trusted friend whom works at National Express, not going into detail but Abello have won the franchise it has not been made public just yet,

If this is indeed true, it means Go-Ahead and Stagecoach have lost.
Back to the drawing board...

Meanwhile it also raises the chances of Abellio winning West Coast when the time comes.
 

LAX54

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2008
Messages
3,906
From December WTT change, there are a couple of 12 car 317 sets starting from Ipswich / Stowmarketin the morning peak
0629 Ex Ips will be 317 and the 0811 Ex Stowmarket, both 3 x 317

and from 4th Jan to 21st March all overnight freight will run via Bury St Edmunds
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Will those GEML 317 runs be specifically 317/7 as previously talked about, or will that merely be an aspiration?
 

eastdyke

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
2,058
Location
East Midlands
From December WTT change, there are a couple of 12 car 317 sets starting from Ipswich / Stowmarketin the morning peak
0629 Ex Ips will be 317 and the 0811 Ex Stowmarket, both 3 x 317 ...

These are the current workings beyond Ipswich booked for EMU's:
(Not sure about the first 2 but when I see the Norwich working it is usually a 12 car 321 set)

 1p09 07:05 Stowmarket to London
 1p17 08:02 Stowmarket to London
 1p48 17:02 London to Norwich
 1p65 19:30 Norwich to London

(Detail from Class 90 Electric Loco Group website)
 

DarkestDreams

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2011
Messages
58
Location
London
National Express do seem to have a dizzying amount of livery on their trains. I've just moved into a house with a great view of the line between Stratford and Liverpool Street, and it's not uncommon to see a train with three different brandings on it go by.
 

mappman1000

Member
Joined
21 Jun 2010
Messages
123
Location
Ipswich, Suffolk
These are the current workings beyond Ipswich booked for EMU's:
(Not sure about the first 2 but when I see the Norwich working it is usually a 12 car 321 set)

 1p09 07:05 Stowmarket to London
 1p17 08:02 Stowmarket to London
 1p48 17:02 London to Norwich
 1p65 19:30 Norwich to London

(Detail from Class 90 Electric Loco Group website)

The first two are usually 8 car 360's.
 

DarkestDreams

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2011
Messages
58
Location
London
Awful experience yesterday - a 'train fault' caused untold chaos. I was booked on the 6.00 service to Norwich due to get in at about 7.30. To cut a long and arduous story short, I ended up having to get the Central line to Stratford (where I live), a severely delayed train from Stratford to Shenfield, then a train to Chelmsford and then a train to Norwich from there. I ended up getting in at 9.40, so over two hours late.

I assume I can claim for Delay Repay compensation, but can I also claim for the bus I took from Stratford to Liverpool Street at 5.20? (On which note, can I also claim for the painkillers I had to take to cure my headache? Only half-joking here!)
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
Awful experience yesterday - a 'train fault' caused untold chaos. I was booked on the 6.00 service to Norwich due to get in at about 7.30. To cut a long and arduous story short, I ended up having to get the Central line to Stratford (where I live), a severely delayed train from Stratford to Shenfield, then a train to Chelmsford and then a train to Norwich from there. I ended up getting in at 9.40, so over two hours late.

I assume I can claim for Delay Repay compensation, but can I also claim for the bus I took from Stratford to Liverpool Street at 5.20? (On which note, can I also claim for the painkillers I had to take to cure my headache? Only half-joking here!)

Here's the reason for your problems:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54056

And no, I don't think they would pay for the painkillers, but it's always worth trying! If nothing else, it'll raise a laugh at the processing office and just might get you your compensation a little bit quicker...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top