• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The new Jaaaaag

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gazimo

Member
Joined
20 Jun 2016
Messages
24
you can tell they like the look of the front, as they have no promotional pictures of the whole front, showing everything else multiple times too.
 

Snow1964

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2019
Messages
11,245
Location
West Wiltshire
What's with the horizontal rows on front and back, looks like they have copied the anti-climb units from train carriage ends, and the rear side windows just seem to be tiny, did they copy those from original City and South London railway padded cell carriages.

Even if I had a spare £130,000 (I don't) it's not for me.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,175
Location
Elginshire
How the mighty have fallen.

(Out of the ugly tree, hitting every branch on the way down)

Someone will love it; its mother, maybe!
 

Acathater

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2025
Messages
757
Location
NorthWest
It looks horrible.
And we should be moving toward smaller, lighter more fuel economic vehicles, whether IC or electric. Not building what appears to be a hardened military vehicle.
This just looks like a reject from a future dystopian movie, a failed Batmobile design maybe
 

jp4712

Member
Joined
1 May 2009
Messages
562
Location
Lichfield
Awful. I bought four Jags new, and earlier this year I traded in the last for a new Porsche Macan 4 EV. The dealer asked why I'd left Jaguar: I said I hadn't, they'd left me.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,137
From the original pink monstrosity, I assumed it was two-door. Much better now its four-door, and they have dropped the pink, but the windows do look a bit on the small side. If they wanted to make something that is different from everything else, then they have achieved their aim. Would it be for me if I could afford it? Don't know - I'll have to see it in the flesh.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,685
Location
Solihull
Well modern Rolls Royces are kind of hideous too, these manufacturers have worked out that the mega rich seldom have any taste.
 

Oxfordblues

Member
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
1,135
I don't understand motorists. £150k to drive one of those up and down the Botley Road here in Oxford? At 3mph average speed most days!
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,645
Location
LBK
Jaguar Land Rover will be reassured that people who cannot afford the car don't like it. I predict it'll sell okay. It's one of the most distinctive cars around.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,163
Location
Wilmslow
Good Guardian review at https://www.theguardian.com/business/2026/oct/07/jaguar-type-01-g-car-review
Designed for the sort of person (male) who wears red trousers, never has to use a car park and never drives in cities and doesn't care about the environment.
Review

The Jaguar Type 01: a £150k gargantuan getaway vehicle utterly useless in the city​

Too costly for most, too large for UK car parks, and wheels bigger than a warlord’s pickup truck. But it does come in ‘London red’

Zoe Williams
Wed 7 Oct 2026 13.29 BST

The cutting-edge car du jour, even while very few will ever buy one, is a good index of what the world’s coming to. It’s a dress-for-the-job-you-want principle, on wheels: drive for the world you want to inhabit.
That’s why when Tesla launched the Model X with a bioweapon defence mode (2016!), we should have been much more worried than we were, and it’s why the Jaguar Type 01 Grand Tourer EV has a lot to say.

“A new era,” the heritage carmaker calls it, and it’s not wrong. But having test-driven the era (just with my eyes and imagination, rather than the car itself), I would like to return it to the showroom and choose pretty much any other era.

Its gigantic size alone makes it look as if it wants to wage war on the future. The whole point of the electrification revolution in motoring was that we could wean ourselves off energy profligacy and on to elegant sufficiency.

If you counteract all that with a car too wide (2 metres) and too long (5.2 metres) to fit into any UK car parking space, whatever advances you’ve made with aerodynamics cannot overcome the fact that you are hulking around something that looks more like a tank than a car, the atmospherics underscored by the glassless tailgate and 23-inch wheels.
To unpack that a bit, you can’t see into the back at all, the preference for all the other glass is blackout, and the wheels on a Toyota Hilux, the Chad warlord’s vehicle of choice, are between 16 and 18 inches.
All the aluminium in the world (73% of the car’s makeup) can’t put a dent in the 2.5-plus-tonne weight, and they’ve bust their own balls to reduce the drag coefficient only to arrive at one (0.23) easily bested by any average electric saloon (0.21).
The look it’s going for, according to the literature, is “monolithic”, but it’s a thin line, isn’t it, between an immutable colossus and a menace, so attempts have clearly been made in the design to introduce a note of friendliness.

It comes in peace, the Jaguar 01 GT; you can tell by the rounded nose, and the body design creating the visual illusion of a front-to-back taper. If it were in a cartoon, it would be driven by the heroes not the villains, but they’d be heroes with no domestic life who knew how to handle themselves. They wouldn’t be The Incredibles.
Traditionally, the Jaguar was driven by a guy in his 50s, wanting to signal to the world that he could afford a car that cost roughly half his salary. That’s what the company is now trying to steer away from, preferring buyers who are “rich, urban, very design literate, very technology literate”, according to Rawdon Glover, Jaguar’s MD.


Some texture on that 50-year-old of yesteryear, whose type I knew well: my uncle had a Jaguar. Its paintwork was maroon, its interior a buttery leather, which meant we all knew he was earning a tidy packet, and we weren’t allowed to bring our dog for Christmas in case he scratched it. That, in a nutshell, was the personality type, which – I posit – was bad enough.
Jag Persona #0.1 is different: he doesn’t want your social admiration, he wants you to jump out of your skin and get your children indoors at his approach, which you’ll see before you hear and only fleetingly, as he races from 62mph to 112mph in four seconds.


He wants you to know he has 150 grand in spare change (ticket price is £120,000 but the extras make that unlikely), and “urban” my aunt Fanny, there is no city situation in which this is a useful car. Regular city driving would be unbearable, given its width, and its standout features of power and agility (three engines, one at the front, one on each rear wheel) are best conceived for a getaway vehicle. Considering its gargantuan size, it doesn’t even have much space – only four seats and boot space that a Skoda Octavia would look at and laugh.
And yet, on the plus side, it comes in “London red”, inspired by our mansion blocks and doubledecker buses, our postboxes and room 32 of the National Gallery. These are all different reds, by the way, but then so are red trousers, yet their message is always the same: “I am the kind of person who would wear red trousers.” So if you see one, just think of that person and make them worse, times a thousand.
I had a Jaguar XFR, I thought about an F-type but decided it was a waste of money and too small. I don't do diesel, hybrid or electric cars anyway. Jaguar abandoned petrol for diesel 15-20 years ago, which was a mistake, and has now abandoned engines altogether. Let's see if they're wrong again.

Presumably The Telegraph will have a glowing review.

It also makes the XJS V12 appear as a sensible car, of course I’d love to have one of these in my dreams. Buy one for £30,000 and save the other £120,000 for repairs and maintenance.
 
Last edited:

m79900

Member
Joined
28 May 2023
Messages
713
Location
North Derbyshire
It also makes the XJS V12 appear as a sensible car, of course I’d love to have one of these in my dreams. Buy one for £30,000 and save the other £120,000 for repairs and maintenance.
Or even better get something like an old Mondeo estate for circa £1k. All the car you'd ever need and spend the extra £129k on literally anything
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,645
Location
LBK
I had a Jaguar XFR, I thought about an F-type but decided it was a waste of money and too small. I don't do diesel, hybrid or electric cars anyway. Jaguar abandoned petrol for diesel 15-20 years ago, which was a mistake, and has now abandoned engines altogether. Let's see if they're wrong again.

If they are wrong it's that they've done it too late, in my view. They've been so far behind the curve here.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I wonder why they've badged it as "JaGUar" ? Looks pretentious
Where?
 

D1511

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2023
Messages
1,225
Location
WCML N
Jaguar Land Rover will be reassured that people who cannot afford the car don't like it. I predict it'll sell okay. It's one of the most distinctive cars around.
Agreed completely. I think it is a distinctive design and really eye-catching and it'll be a decent seller despite the comments here. I wonder how many of this car's critics absolutely loved the Sierra when they first saw it......?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Range is a bit feeble though, as other luxury manufacturers already offer 500 mile range models, so that doesn't seem a terrible sensible decision. 800bhp and a longer range would hardly have been a compromise......
 

thejuggler

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2016
Messages
1,654
I can no longer envisage what a typical UK Jaguar driver looks like and for a brief period I had one (it was a pile of rubbish!).

If they can't sell in UK, not much chance elsewhere, especially US where Trump tariffs are in place. Time to put the brand to rest.
 

Acathater

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2025
Messages
757
Location
NorthWest
They would have been better off keeping Jaguar as it was and instead launching this new car as a Daimler or Lanchester.
They still own the right to the Daimler name whatever Mercedes might say about it...
 

Top