• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The National Railway Museum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisEJ1993

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2009
Messages
299
Location
Manchester
Hey.

Really excited about being able to visit the National Railway Museum on my birthday, but I have a few questions about it:

1. How do I get there? Whats the easiest way from York station, which is where I'll be arriving? Please bare in mind I'm visually impaired - I'll probably end up asking for assistance anyway :P

2. Is there a part of it I should start at? I am unsure if I'll have time to see all of it, so whats best to defenatly cram in first?

3. Are they ok about photography?

4. is it free entry?

Thanks in advance :D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
Providing you're ok with stairs, by far the easiest way is to use the footbridge, the exit for the NRM side is near platform 11. Then walk along the path and it leads you to the forecourt.

See http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.959056&lon=-1.095187&z=19.3&r=0&src=msl

Entry is free. I'm sure photos will be fine; they'd expect it!

A member of this forum works there, maybe he can give a detailed response!
 

Broken Viking

On Moderation
Joined
23 Oct 2006
Messages
1,666
Location
some place west of France
Like Yorkie just said, there's a path directly to the NRM from York station. It runs from the end of the footbridge at the back of the station, and is about a 250 yard walk. It should be fairly easy to follow even with a visual impairment, but I'm sure that the staff at York would be happy to assist if need be. :)

The NRM itself is free to enter (Or it was when I last went there approx. two years ago) although a donation is appreciated. I havn't been able to see the whole museum myself yet, but they have the front car off a 0-Series Shinkansen and the prototype HST power-car in the main locomotive shed, amongst other exhibits. 8-)

One thing I'll point out (Remembering my slight disappointment at finding this out when I was there) is that some of their exhibits are at their Shildon site...This includes the APT-E set, and the "missing" power car from 370006's rake at Crewe. :)
 

ChrisEJ1993

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2009
Messages
299
Location
Manchester
Providing you're ok with stairs, by far the easiest way is to use the footbridge, the exit for the NRM side is near platform 11. Then walk along the path and it leads you to the forecourt.

Wow, thought it'd be way more complicated than that! Stairs are cool, as long as the stairs are easy to find in the first place, but it sounds like they are :P


Ta for that :)

Entry is free.

Wow - There should be more free entry places! :P

I'm sure photos will be fine; they'd expect it!

Thats good news - Hopefully I'll get enough cash to pay Dad back for my new Digital SLR (He bought it when it was on offer for me but got to pay him back before I can have it) and be able to test it out :D

A member of this forum works there, maybe he can give a detailed response!

What an awesome place to work!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Like Yorkie just said, there's a path directly to the NRM from York station. It runs from the end of the footbridge at the back of the station, and is about a 250 yard walk. It should be fairly easy to follow even with a visual impairment, but I'm sure that the staff at York would be happy to assist if need be. :)

The NRM itself is free to enter (Or it was when I last went there approx. two years ago) although a donation is appreciated. I havn't been able to see the whole museum myself yet, but they have the front car off a 0-Series Shinkansen and the prototype HST power-car in the main locomotive shed, amongst other exhibits. 8-)

One thing I'll point out (Remembering my slight disappointment at finding this out when I was there) is that some of their exhibits are at their Shildon site...This includes the APT-E set, and the "missing" power car from 370006's rake at Crewe. :)

Thank you for that info! :)
 

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London
One thing I'll point out (Remembering my slight disappointment at finding this out when I was there) is that some of their exhibits are at their Shildon site...This includes the APT-E set, and the "missing" power car from 370006's rake at Crewe. :)

An APT was 14 cars long, there are only 6 cars at Crewe :(
 

odol

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2009
Messages
47
Location
Poland/Scotland
3. Are they ok about photography?


Yes you can take that many pictures as you wish but you are not allowed to publish your photos in any public gallery. So the photos are only for yourself. Maybe thats was changed allready becouse it was like that last year when i have been ther. ;)
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
You may want to check what events they have on before deciding on the order of your visit. (it's on their website) The last time I was there I saw an interesting talk on how steam trains work. (it's probably a bit basic for most on here!).

I also recall that the price of the cafe was a bit steep, although they do have an indoor picnic area if you take your own food.
 

flymo

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2007
Messages
1,554
Location
Geordie back from exile.
HSTChris said:
3. Are they ok about photography?

From the NRM website about photography

NRM website said:
Photography

All members of the public are very welcome to photograph the NRM’s collection as long as the photographs are for personal and non-commercial use. However, all photography intended for commercial use must be coordinated through our press office team.

So bring your camera, click away and have fun.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
Cant resist going over everytime im lucky enough to be in York. I always love the viewing platform, workshops & signalling on the 1st floor wing. Make sure you visit the restaurant near the Royal Trains. Reasonably priced & good hot honest grub. Enjoy!!
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
If you have an hour or so and don't want to pay the prices in the museum, there are plenty of cafes and pubs over in the city centre. The Maltings pub is about a 10 minute walk from the station and does good food.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,386
Location
Yorks
I find it's always worth taking a peak in the depot at the back of station hall as they often have some modern traction under restoration and you can get quite close up. Once found the HAP unit in there :D

Also, the Search Engine is really good for a browse.
 

oliverj8

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2010
Messages
202
Also if you like model railways, there is a centre next to the railway station with a great layout inside :D although I think you have to pay :(.

Hope you have a good trip and birthday :D
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Also if you like model railways, there is a centre next to the railway station with a great layout inside :D although I think you have to pay :(.

I was told that this place hasn't changed in a few years, anyone been recently to see what it is like?
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Access is pretty easy from York as myself and a friend did it last year. If you go onto the footbridge that comes from the main train shed it goes out to the "outside" platforms (platforms 11 and such I think) and then down the steps at the end. You then go on a footpath which is largely enclosed, I think there is road to cross if I remember right, though not a busy one, and into the centre past the site of the old York Wheel (sorry the description is a bit hazy)

The main trainshed is probably a good place to be as there a wide range of different locos/rolling stock in there. Included in this is a cut away steam train so you can see the inards of the boiler plus you can walk underneath some of the trains too. The museumy area is quite good too and is largely a case of wandering rund and seeing what you can spot as there is a fair bit of stuff! Round that area they may also have the odd loco around having work done on it - when I went last year there was some work being done on a class 55.

It depends what your interests are but I found the signalling centre quite interesting too. And even if you aren't interesting in the signalling or (like me) can't work out what line shows what(!!!) there is the balcony outside which is just outside the main station so you can watch trains arriving and departing from the (I think north - Scarborough/Newcastle/Middlesbrough end anyway) end of York station - I believe they may also have a departure board there too so you know what is around.

Photos are fine - you will see lots of people with their cameras out! Its from just looking through the ones I took I am remembering some of the things I saw there!

Whatever you decide to do there though, it should be a great day out!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top