• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Name the Station" game

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
I think I agree that it's more than a little unreasonable for Robinson to lose three points for that near-miss, so when I finally rewrite the rules (which should have had happened already :roll:) I think I will say it will only apply where there is clear daylight between the genuine guess and the offending guess ("clear daylight" meaning non-consecutive minutes, e.g. 23:36 and 23:38 as opposed to 23:36 and 23:37). Still not perfect though, because you could penalised for a gap of 61, but not for a gap of 119 (e.g. 23:36:59 and 23:38:00 against 23:36:00 and 23:37:59).

Even of that; to matters that are important here and now - Lenzie is correct.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No idea, never been in that area, not looking on wiki or anything like that, just a map so don'y know where High or Low level goes in Glasgow

If it calls on the through lines (via Partick), as Caldercruix trains do, it's Low Level ;)
 
Last edited:

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
I think that is a fair rewrite, Ivo, as it will only penalise those who have been silly rather than the unfortunate. However, as the new rules are still in force I trust that Robinson loses 3 points in this case!

Clue 1:
This station does not have a direct connection to any rail based form of transport (excluding BR) on which orange ATOC tickets are valid (ie does not have a LUL, tram, preserved line with through BR ticketing or similar serving that station).
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
Clue 4:
In the standard English version of Scrabble, if proper nouns were allowed, no blank tiles were used and no tiles were laid on bonus scoring squares, the combined words of this station's name would score 32 points.
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
Clue 5:
This station is served by a bus service, travel on which is included with some rail tickets, linking the station with another transport facility.
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
Not sure about 5, but I'm convinced that it fits 1 through 4, so here goes

Portsmouth and Southsea
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
Not sure about 5, but I'm convinced that it fits 1 through 4, so here goes

Portsmouth and Southsea
Is the correct answer. Clue 5 refers to the Hoverbus, on which travel is included with tickets issued from the IoW to the mainland routed Hovertravel or with a destination of 'Southsea Hoverport'. It may also be valid with tickets from the mainland, I'm not sure.
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
Right, I'm having to go now, I've just noticed the time - I've got an exam in a bit over an hour, and I'm still in bed.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Sorry been away guys

Clue 3 : This station has a link to bottles of water.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
 

Top