• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Name the Station" game

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
Clarification request:
Does the through train to Maidenhead have to terminate at Maidenhead?
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
I was expecting a Thames branch but it seems there are no Henley-Reading through trains anymore.

Hanborough?
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
The answer I was looking for was Shiplake - on the Henley branch

Whilst the regular through service to Reading has gone there still seems to be one a day - 0806 from Reading and 2356 from Shiplake in the .pdf on FGW's website

Though now having checked the journey planner as well only the from Reading one shows up as through
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
Explains my problem then. The Henley branch was my instinct at clue 4. I don't think a points deduction is in order either way.
To avoid one myself, I'd best make up a watery connection for Colwall. Erm, it has three of the letters from the word well. Water is normally col(d).
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
I wonder when the change was made or whether it was always a misprint? Though I'm pretty sure it was there (in the planner) when I checked late last week.

A lot of Cotswold line stations fit up to clue 4

I'll leave Ivo to adjudicate on points and declare open floor


Edit - having checked open train times, the change must have been today - it was there last Friday evening as going to Reading, today it's Twyford.
 
Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
I'll let it go (marginal situations are ignored) - and claim the floor :p

Clue 1: This station is within 30 miles of at least one major seaside resort.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)

Brighton can't have services to itself, which is an interesting point. There are other resorts within 30 miles though, to which Brighton does have direct links (Worthing/Eastbourne), so to me that is a Penalty...

Sorry :(

Anyone else care to try? I can't reasonably post the answer without at least one feasible response.
 
Last edited:

Top