• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Name the Station" game

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
To answer the current question: Northampton?

- North of London
- AC electrified
- Normally served by one TOC only (very limited VT service, hence the "normally")
- Earl of Northampton

Just to remind you all, until 23:59 impossible responses are ignored once again.

I'll leat Ivo adjudicate as to whether Martin loses 3 for repeating his own answer.

You don't lose points for stating that an answer you previously gave still matches every clue. Needless to say however, it does not count as a response to the new clue; an alternative must provided (Turn Players must ensure that they do not accidentally set a new clue after seeing only a response on this kind).
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
Not Northampton

Final clue - this is the survivor of two stations that once served the town
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
I have no idea :(

Wild guess (which probably fails the last two clues): Skipton (normally but not exclusively served only by NT)
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
The answer is Huntingdon.

Served by FCC and sometimes by EC in times of engineering work. North of London, AC electrified. There was a Huntingdon East station until around 1960ish.

The aristocrat is Selina Countess of Huntingdon who formed a small group of non-conformist churches still known as the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion - the spelling was significant to the clue. Presumably 18th century and never changed.

Give me half an hour or so to think of another one. Open floor if I haven't posted by 1430.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK

This station is south of Wolverhampton
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
Oh, I thought Turbos got to Hereford but I couldn't be certain on that. Are there no 180s with FGW these days, I know they were supposed to be getting some back?
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
I think there is the odd turbo through to Hereford. No 180s yet I'm aware of.

But Pershore is correct

Clue 5 was going to be about drupes and eggs

Ivo's go.

Checks - there's certainly a turbo on Sundays currently
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Oh, I thought Turbos got to Hereford but I couldn't be certain on that. Are there no 180s with FGW these days, I know they were supposed to be getting some back?

No 180s just yet. Later this year.

Having checked the timetable, Turbos definitely do not make it to HFD under normal circumstances.

Anyhow:

Clue 1: This station is not electrified.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
This thread is getting very good for gags (e.g. Scrabble clues, Derby Road answers) :p

Clue 2: This station is both north and east of Cheltenham.

Checks - there's certainly a turbo on Sundays currently

So there is. I had no idea.

1442 ex-PAD; 1830 ex-HFD

------------------

Guys, can I just say, this thread has seen an average of one post every ~15 minutes over the last 48 hours or so! Great stuff!

Does make keeping track of scores - and Penalties (sorry clagmonster) - harder though :roll:
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Worcester Shrub Hill?

North yes, east no. If I had said Gloucester like I was going to then it would have been correct. But I thought that some smart-alec would then say Cheltenham!

Hint (not a clue) - further away than that ;)

Clue 3: This station is served by at least one TOC that has "East" in its name.
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
Is it one that falls foul of the 'tilt of the country' and is actually west of Chelts?

Lets try Thorpe Culvert, that should be a decent way east.
 

Top