• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Name the Station" game

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
This station has a unique suffix (is that even the right word - I mean something like Piccadilly in Manchester Piccadilly or Waterloo in London Waterloo) (5)
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
Well I went to bed and missed all that. Was I responsible for it or just a coincidence?

Weston super mare
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
Now, I'm trying to work out which franchises have not changed hands or been redrawn since the start of privatisation. Assuming it is not Heathrow Express (which I'm not sure was operating in 1996), I think we are left with Virgin West Coast. Therefore, I'm going to say Birmingham International.
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
I've just looked up a list of franchisees at the start of 1998. It seems the options are: Virgin West Coast, Merseyrail (the franchisee has changed but I think the trading name has remained constant - or did Arriva rename it Arriva Trains Merseyside or some such when they bought out MTL), Chiltern, South West Trains and possibly C2C, although I think when it was run by Prism it went through a spell of being officially called LTS, with some units running in a revised NSE livery but with a green stripe.

Princes Risborough, the airport being Luton?
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
Merseyrail Electrics/Arriva Trains Merseyside is not the same TOC as the current Serco/Abellio-owned Merseyrail, in my opinion. (Otherwise you could claim the same about Scotrail, or Gatwick Express, and so on.)

Also you lose points as Princes Risborough fits neither clue 1 (the nearest airport, Luton, is 22 miles as the crow flies) nor clue 3 (there is no former branch here with just two stations).
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
That was a bit of a gamble and I have just realised that my laptop clock is fast so -2 for me.
I'll leat Ivo adjudicate as to whether Martin loses 3 for repeating his own answer.
 

Top