• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Name the Station" game

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
I was wondering about them but I can't think of a fourth operator on the south of the WCML. So far I have LM, VT and Scotrail. I also suspect that if it is one of them it will be north of Harrow, as otherwise we have two operators stopping (LO and LU).
 

Robinson

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2010
Messages
623
Location
Helensburgh
I was wondering about them but I can't think of a fourth operator on the south of the WCML. So far I have LM, VT and Scotrail. I also suspect that if it is one of them it will be north of Harrow, as otherwise we have two operators stopping (LO and LU).

Southern run this line as far as Willesden Junction...

 

andrew bell

Member
Joined
24 Aug 2011
Messages
437
Location
Great Yarmouth
You are all right in your assumptions but your not there. The answer I was looking for was Carpenders Park

I'm going out tonight so the floor is open , just so I'm not holding the game up
 

Robinson

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2010
Messages
623
Location
Helensburgh
Brundall.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
By the way, I didn't realise LU was to be counted as an "operator", as I have assumed from the start that this would be referring to National Rail train companies...
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
Just my interpretation of the clue. I don't know whether there has every been any official clarification of the matter.

Clue 2:
This station is served by precisely three operators.
 

andrew bell

Member
Joined
24 Aug 2011
Messages
437
Location
Great Yarmouth
Carpenders Park is served by London Overground, not London Underground, if Ivo believes it is not a worthwhile station to consider then I will put my hands up and admit I picked a bad station and take a penalty
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
Carpenders Park is served by London Overground, not London Underground, if Ivo believes it is not a worthwhile station to consider then I will put my hands up and admit I picked a bad station and take a penalty
The clues limited the options to three stations, assumin we treat LUL as an operator in this case. I think that is fair.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,570

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
I don't know where 06s ran :|

Carpenders Park is served by London Overground, not London Underground, if Ivo believes it is not a worthwhile station to consider then I will put my hands up and admit I picked a bad station and take a penalty

Someone care to explain why my adjudication is necessary? Were the clues for Carpenders Park (1 TOC stopping; 4 TOCs passing) not accurate?
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
ALL stations are west of Lowestoft - the first clue should eliminate at least some of the stations in the UK, surely ?

Technically Lowestoft isn't west of Lowestoft...

I think there may have to be a clampdown on unreasonable clues. See how things go over the weekend, and then action if needed.

Development

Because it's my birthday, I'm going to be nice. For the duration of March 31st, there will be NO PENALTIES applied to anyone that gives an impossible response (unless it's deliberate, in which case it still applies)! :p
 
Last edited:

Temple Meads

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2010
Messages
2,283
Location
Devon
Yep, the first clue needs to be easier I reckon, it's getting close to ridiculous.

Anyway, is it Milford Haven?
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
ALL stations are west of Lowestoft - the first clue should eliminate at least some of the stations in the UK, surely ?


Dundee ?
Is the correct answer.

Lowestoft is not west of Lowestoft, so clue 1 eliminated a station. Clue 1 is supposed to be vague, with the clues becoming gradually vaguer. In this case, it seems to have worked because you arrived at the correct answer inside 4 guesses. In fact, most of mine seem to be solved, which to me demonstrates that the clues are reasonable.

Ivo, all the clues for Carpenders Park are acurate. I think the only thing which needs clarifying is whether LUL counts as an operator at a completely joint station, such as Kenton. If LUL is not considered an operator, then the clues may have been a little vague as it could have been any Watford DC station from Willesden Jn northwards (excluding Wembley and Harrow). I would not appeal for action against the poster in this instance though.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Welcome to the game Eagle :)

Lowestoft is not west of Lowestoft, so clue 1 eliminated a station. Clue 1 is supposed to be vague, with the clues becoming gradually vaguer. In this case, it seems to have worked because you arrived at the correct answer inside 4 guesses. In fact, most of mine seem to be solved, which to me demonstrates that the clues are reasonable.

I am sorry to report that no station of yours has yet won you points. Only four of us have succeeded... four times each? :shock:

P.S.: You mean less vague ;)

Ivo, all the clues for Carpenders Park are acurate. I think the only thing which needs clarifying is whether LUL counts as an operator at a completely joint station, such as Kenton. If LUL is not considered an operator, then the clues may have been a little vague as it could have been any Watford DC station from Willesden Jn northwards (excluding Wembley and Harrow). I would not appeal for action against the poster in this instance though.

LUL is not considered a TOC but can be used as part of a clue where specified as such (mentioning any local system is not necessary however, so this clue was perfectly reasonable in ignoring LUL). In this example, TOCs = LM, LO, SN, SR, VT; "operators" can include LUL if the Turn Player makes this clear.
 
Last edited:

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
P.S.: You mean less vague ;)
I do. I was not up long when I posted that and only got 3 hour kip last night.

In case it happens, as it almost did this morning. If a round goes on for longer than the clue-setter expects, and the clue setter is unable to continue, what is the appropriate course of action? May I suggest a PM to a quizmaster with the remining clues and the answer, together with a post in the thread.

Happy birthday, by the way.
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
Seems a trifle ironic we've had a penalty free day with no active question running......

Happy Birthday to IVO anyway
 

martinsh

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2011
Messages
1,766
Location
Considering a move to Memphis
Hey, I got some points !

Sorry for not posting earlier - I've been on a pub crawl !

Clue 1: This station is not electrified

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Clue 1 is supposed to be vague, with the clues becoming gradually vaguer. In this case, it seems to have worked because you arrived at the correct answer inside 4 guesses.

Dundee was a total guess - though I did know 06s only worked in Scotland
 
Last edited:

Top