• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Name the Station" game

andrew bell

Member
Joined
24 Aug 2011
Messages
437
Location
Great Yarmouth
And finally clue 5 would of been there are 5 other stations in this county as well as this one, the answer I was looking for was in fact Kettering so Sonic2009 its over to you :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Clue 1 : This station is within 100miles of Ashchurch for Tewkesbury.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Bridgwater

The Jacobite is shown in the NRT. Therefore, I claim that Mallaig is served by two TOCs and more than one class of train. Thus, assuming it is the right answer, I'm appealing for a dud clue penalty. Ivo, please can you adjudicate.

The Jacobite is indeed shown in the NRT, and they do run different stock to SR.

But is it really fair to deduct six points for that? They don't have a franchise and they aren't a standard OAO.

Because there has not been any precedent either way, and because there is nothing in the rules about this, I cannot reasonably enforce a Penalty. To negate this in future, I will add a little extra to the new rules (which will be released within the next few days). To avoid situations such as this occurring in future, for the purposes of this game the definition of Train Operating Company, except where specified by the Turn Player, covers all mainstream operators. Gatwick Express and Stansted Express are not counted; neither are non-standard operators such as the WCRC and the NYMR.

I will be including a set of guidelines for clues in the new rules, with this suggestion as part of them.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Clue 3 : This station is in the former NSE area, and served by one class of train.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Clue 4 : This station has no direct services to London, although this could change within the next 3 years, because of a project from the TOC that manages this station.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
I am going to be pedantic here and state that both Montpelier and St. Andrews Road should be penalties because they fall between Stapleton Road and Hallen Marsh Junction, therefore the presence of the line round to Filton means that they aren't strictly speaking on a branch.

Bargoed
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Another -1 for me through typing my pedantry to get another point deducted whilst clue 4 was posted.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
I am going to be pedantic here and state that both Montpelier and St. Andrews Road should be penalties because they fall between Stapleton Road and Hallen Marsh Junction, therefore the presence of the line round to Filton means that they aren't strictly speaking on a branch

Don't you think that's just a little harsh? As far as passenger operations go, it's a branch line.


Now that is a Penalty. That's not even in England, never mind NSE land. Not to mention Clue 4, seeing as you already did that.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Right let's get this mess sorted.

Clagmonster you posted Bargoed, surely you looked at Clue 3?

Robinson, I go within the shortest distance posted on Google Maps, which puts Ashchurch for Tewkesbury to South Greenford at 94.3 miles

Ivo, you are correct.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Another one for the rules Ivo, if someone says the station is within 100miles of said station i.e The station is within 100miles of Bath Spa then the shortest distance applies, and google maps will be used?.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My guess for Ivo's first clue is :

Dovercourt
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Another one for the rules Ivo, if someone says the station is within 100miles of said station i.e The station is within 100miles of Bath Spa then the shortest distance applies, and google maps will be used?

I think I would have to disagree. There is a clear difference between "within 100 miles of" and "less than 100 miles from by the shortest route". One could easily add "by road" or "by rail" to the clue to imply that the distance is relative to the shortest possible distance.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
I think I would have to disagree. There is a clear difference between "within 100 miles of" and "less than 100 miles from by the shortest route". One could easily add "by road" or "by rail" to the clue to imply that the distance is relative to the shortest possible distance.

Should we say the shortest distance by road? or as the crow flies?
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
I think it is down to the wording of the clue. However if the clue just stated 'within x miles' without further clarification I think I would take it t be within a 100 miles radius as the crow flies. I suppose literally you could argue as the mole burrows, ie take the curvature of the earth into consideration, but that would be extreme.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Clue 2: This station handles stopping and passing services, the latter of which is by more than one TOC.

Should we say the shortest distance by road? or as the crow flies?

To me, "within 100 miles of" means within 100 miles in a straight line. If the distance is relative to road or rail this should be specified.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Clue 3: This station has four platforms, although only two of those are in active use (i.e. the others remain available as required but otherwise sit dormant).
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
Fair point they have become overgrown and I doubt they would be allowed to be used, I've gone for the wrong one. As you might guess, I personally would argue for a penalty but your the boss.
 

Top