• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 'Most pointless railway paraphernalia you can photograph' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,564
Location
Somewhere
Dont be a muppet.

The position of the signal and the call on signal is not indicative of the usual placement of such signals. Signals are supposed to be placed so that the most restrictive aspect (in this case red) is as close to the drivers eyeline as possible. This is clearly not the case in this picture so this topic on it is warranted

The signal in question is situated to the right of the platform which could possibly be obscured from the signage and lighting poles that run down the middle of the platform. Further more, as trains are driven from the left hand side, this will make it alot harder to see the aspect, which is why IF it is for the left hand line (and it may well be), it IS in a very odd position.

I suggest if you have nothing constructive to add and this thread is "utter nonsense" as you put, you make no further participation.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Timer

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
3,702
Location
On a plane somewhere at 35,000
Dont be a muppet.

The position of the signal and the call on signal is not indicative of the usual placement of such signals. Signals are supposed to be placed so that the most restrictive aspect (in this case red) is as close to the drivers eyeline as possible. This is clearly not the case in this picture so this topic on it is warranted

The signal in question is situated to the right of the platform which could possibly be obscured from the signage and lighting poles that run down the middle of the platform. Further more, as trains are driven from the left hand side, this will make it alot harder to see the aspect, which is why IF it is for the left hand line (and it may well be), it IS in a very odd position.

I suggest if you have nothing constructive to add and this thread is "utter nonsense" as you put, you make no further participation.

Obviously you have not been to Birmingham New St, or Liverpool Lime St or indeed Liverpool St. Looking further afield, there is a banner repeater signal located on the right hand side of the Up Fast line at Water Orton

Signal sighting rules permit a signal to be located on the opposite side of the line, as and when there is an adequate need for it.

There are now restrictions as to how close a signal structure can be placed towards the track when located on a platform.
 

Old Timer

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
3,702
Location
On a plane somewhere at 35,000
Which is why I said "as possible".
Yes, but you also said it was in an odd position .....Comment withdrawn
Right handed signals are not as rare as you seem to think, which was what I also pointed out.

Anyone can have an opinion but should not be ridiculed in that manner.
 
Last edited:

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,564
Location
Somewhere
Yes, but you also said it was in an odd position and then went on to lambast Devon Metro who made a sensible post, in a rather agressive manner which I did not feel was appropriate or correct.

Right handed signals are not as rare as you seem to think, which was what I also pointed out.

Anyone can have an opinion but should not be ridiculed in that manner.

Maybe the muppet part was wrong but I fail to see where the rest of my post was "aggressive"? Particulary compared to devons style of posting that seems to have gone straight over your head...either that or you have choosen to ignore it.

My definition of odd is obviously different to yours. Maybe right handed signals are not as rare as I initially thought. I in no doubt havent been on the railway as long as you nor covered quite an area as you have, so in my field of vision it is not something I come across every day.
 

asylumxl

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2009
Messages
4,260
Location
Hiding in your shadow
Can I suggest that next time you post such a load of rubbish you know what you are talking about.

Anybody with a basic knowledge of signalling can see that the signal applies to the left hand line, a bay does not have to be signalled for obvious reasons. The shunt signal is also a give away and is a call on operated, as described above. Now please, consider the bandwidth next time as this thread is a load of utter nonsense.

By posting your post you've just wasted more. Not everyone is as "educated" as some people on this forum, and that's fine.

Mistakes are fine to make, that's how people learn.
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
I am a bit perplexed as well GB although agreed, the Muppet statement was a bit daft.

Not intending to get at anybody, but to be jumped on by Devon Metro like that, especially quoting bandwidth was a bit unnecessary, especially because as far as I can see he has no responsibility for that bandwidth whatsoever so shouldn't really be worrying about it. Then for you Old Timer, a man who I follow your posts with interest, I was a bit disappointed with your reaction as well.

Apart from that, I reckon some people have learned things here. To some, it was obvious what the intention was for the signal, for others it wasn't.
 

Old Timer

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
3,702
Location
On a plane somewhere at 35,000
Maybe the muppet part was wrong but I fail to see where the rest of my post was "aggressive"? Particulary compared to devons style of posting that seems to have gone straight over your head...either that or you have choosen to ignore it.

My definition of odd is obviously different to yours. Maybe right handed signals are not as rare as I initially thought. I in no doubt havent been on the railway as long as you nor covered quite an area as you have, so in my field of vision it is not something I come across every day.
MY apologies. I had missed that post of Devon-Metro.

I withdraw my comments unreservedly.
 

Dai.

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2008
Messages
1,210
Location
Wales
I hate to put a downer on things.. but, can we get some pointless railway things? :( I was actually looking forward to seeing some funny things.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
Can't see your pic as it's a bitmap. Would you mind uploading in a web-friendly format please?
 
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
535
Back to the original theme.

Don't know what this is.

It's at Dawlish.

Presumably it's to shield the electronics from rain.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I hate to put a downer on things.. but, can we get some pointless railway things? :( I was actually looking forward to seeing some funny things.

No-one's stopping you
 

westcoaster

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2006
Messages
4,514
Location
DTOS A or B
in regards to the signal in the first post at dalmuir, i do not know the area but looking at maps they show p4 at dalmuir as being di-directional which i thought would be the case as on the thameslink route, we have 5 permanent reds like the one shown in the first picture, and two of these have position lights fitted, and all of these are at the end of platforms where trains come in in the wrong direction.
an example of this is there is a perminent red at the london end of kentish town p2 (down moorgate line) so trains can enter on the down line but in the up direction and turn around.
Another example this time the permanent red has a position light fitted, on selhurst station p2 (up victoria slow) at the east croydoon end of the platform there is a perminent red with a position light fitted (you cross over just before the station), so silmultanious trains can terminate at selhurst in p1 and p2 and then enter selhurst depot using the position light signal.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Back to the original theme.

Don't know what this is.

It's at Dawlish.

that is an axle counter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axle_counter .
 

Old Timer

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
3,702
Location
On a plane somewhere at 35,000
I think this thread is going to demonstrate that a lot of people have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

Rather than posting negatively, surely it would be a much better idea to ask the question "What does this do ?" or similar. ?
 

westcoaster

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2006
Messages
4,514
Location
DTOS A or B
I think this thread is going to demonstrate that a lot of people have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

Rather than posting negatively, surely it would be a much better idea to ask the question "What does this do ?" or similar. ?

one thing you notice on the forums is that when new members post something and the facts are not always right, and they do this a few times they get jumped on by other more established members, ive seen it countless times, in the end the new member almost certainly will say "thats it im leaving", but they dont and with time they get to learn more and get knowledge, being a member of a forum is about shearing and learning new things as well as to chat with each other, thats just my view point.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
I think it may be best if this thread was started again in the NR General Discussion forum, perhaps laughing at silly signs or asking what something else means.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top