• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

the most over the top restrictions introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

adc82140

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2008
Messages
3,414
Are they allowed to do that?
There's probably some loophole in that you have to be a member to go in there.

I let my membership lapse some time ago as it's cheaper to buy most of the branded stuff in Lidl or Asda.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kristiang85

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2018
Messages
2,745
Somebody sent this to me, and I had to check the source, as it seemed so mad it can't have been true. But nope, it apparently is.

St John's Ambulance has updated its CPR guidelines to be COVID safe. Basically, keep your face away from theirs and cover their nose/mouth with a towel, don't give rescue breaths, and any helpers should keep 2m distance. I kid you not.

Considering how often immediate first aid is credited with saving lives, I can see deaths happening in some instances if this advice is followed.

 

Attachments

  • FB_IMG_1608684788623.jpg
    FB_IMG_1608684788623.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

6862

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2014
Messages
506
Considering how often immediate first aid is credited with saving lives, I can see deaths happening in some instances if this advice is followed.

Remember, only one kind of death matters now. A death with Covid. We ignore all others and pretend that it's only Covid that kills people.

But seriously, this is absolutely insanity and shows how selfish and self protective the human race has become.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,507
Location
Cheshire
Somebody sent this to me, and I had to check the source, as it seemed so mad it can't have been true. But nope, it apparently is.

St John's Ambulance has updated its CPR guidelines to be COVID safe. Basically, keep your face away from theirs and cover their nose/mouth with a towel, don't give rescue breaths, and any helpers should keep 2m distance. I kid you not.

Considering how often immediate first aid is credited with saving lives, I can see deaths happening in some instances if this advice is followed.

If they are not breathing and compressions don't work, don't worry. Its not covid so its not important? That's basically what that is saying.

I'm done, I'm absolutely done with all this crap. The world has gone mad.
 

Ascotroyal

Member
Joined
24 Sep 2020
Messages
54
Location
Ascot
Yep been confirmed there are no face mask exemptions if you want to go in Costco. Thats me no longer going in Costco.
 

Attachments

  • IMG-20201223-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20201223-WA0000.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 96

DB

Guest
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
5,036
Yep been confirmed there are no face mask exemptions if you want to go in Costco. Thats me no longer going in Costco.

And what evidence do they have that 'the added safety is worth any inconvenience'?

Given that there's no clear evidence that masks make any difference, we seem to be in the usual territory of 'if something doesn't work, the answer is to do more of it'.
 

packermac

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2019
Messages
543
Location
Swanage
Interesting piece on the BBC News at lunchtime I caught most of about how Singapore has been so successful at keeping deaths low.
Strong enforcement of mask wearing and social distancing along with heavy fines for non conformance. Masks outdoors, track and trace seems to use some gizmo they are issuing folks.
Plan to vaccinate the whole population, masks well into 2021 and perhaps beyond.
Of course the Far East are more used to mask wearing and Singapore has always had strong law enforcement.
Suspect it is on I Player or will be on the 1800 news tonight.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,420
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
If they are not breathing and compressions don't work, don't worry. Its not covid so its not important? That's basically what that is saying.

I'm done, I'm absolutely done with all this crap. The world has gone mad.

I must admit I’m utterly done with this too. Just walked down the town to pick up the new issue of Modern Railways. Three times on the way down there I had people pressing up against the walls whilst passing, then in the town I’d say most people were wearing masks outside - in the rain so all of them soggy and disgusting.
 

DB

Guest
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
5,036
Interesting piece on the BBC News at lunchtime I caught most of about how Singapore has been so successful at keeping deaths low.
Strong enforcement of mask wearing and social distancing along with heavy fines for non conformance. Masks outdoors, track and trace seems to use some gizmo they are issuing folks.
Plan to vaccinate the whole population, masks well into 2021 and perhaps beyond.
Of course the Far East are more used to mask wearing and Singapore has always had strong law enforcement.
Suspect it is on I Player or will be on the 1800 news tonight.

The point there though is that they contained it early and are immediately tracing the few cases which appear - None of which would apply in this country.

The theatre such as masks outdoors is irrelevant, as if it's not there it can't spread.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,507
Location
Cheshire
Interesting piece on the BBC News at lunchtime I caught most of about how Singapore has been so successful at keeping deaths low.
Strong enforcement of mask wearing and social distancing along with heavy fines for non conformance. Masks outdoors, track and trace seems to use some gizmo they are issuing folks.
Plan to vaccinate the whole population, masks well into 2021 and perhaps beyond.
Of course the Far East are more used to mask wearing and Singapore has always had strong law enforcement.
Suspect it is on I Player or will be on the 1800 news tonight.
Also interesting are the cultural differences in Eastern Asia that often drive these behaviours. From being used to decades of much more authoritarian governments (often as a result of conflicts in the region), through to different work ethics. For example in Japan face masks were often worn by people with symptoms of colds and flus. It was generally thought that this was as a result of respect for co-workers, but often it turns out to be because taking time off work is considered bad etiquette & even sometimes downright disrespectful. So to mitigate for this workers would often don masks so that they could avoid the shame of being off work. Quite a different picture from the altruistic view that some people like to paint.

And all this is before you consider the effects on mental health & wellbeing, and even suicides in countries like Japan. Ever wonder why so many major stations have barriers on the platforms? Don't be so keen to hold up such cultures as virtuous, a lot of what they can mitigate have darker sides to them we would, or at least hope should never get comfortable with.
 

scotrail158713

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2019
Messages
1,826
Location
Dundee
Yep been confirmed there are no face mask exemptions if you want to go in Costco. Thats me no longer going in Costco.
I’ve seen a few mentions of this today. Most concerning is how many are supportive of Costco’s stance? Comments pretty much consist of “if they’re exempt it’s too risky for them to go shopping”.
Where has the country got to that this is now the case?
 

DB

Guest
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
5,036
I’ve seen a few mentions of this today. Most concerning is how many are supportive of Costco’s stance? Comments pretty much consist of “if they’re exempt it’s too risky for them to go shopping”.
Where has the country got to that this is now the case?

And this is despite there still being no convincing evidence that masks actually make any difference!
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
I’ve seen a few mentions of this today. Most concerning is how many are supportive of Costco’s stance? Comments pretty much consist of “if they’re exempt it’s too risky for them to go shopping”.
Where has the country got to that this is now the case?
I thought that level of specious logic had stayed on the far side of the Atlantic. Sadly it seems not.
 

jumble

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2011
Messages
1,500
I've seen lots of over the top restrictions such as temperature checks to enter a restaurant and food served only in take away containers.

My most hated has to be the amount of signage at stansted airport which has all been printed on a template with "for your safety" written on it. Theres one in every toilet cubicle saying to keep the seat down when flushing the toilet to stop the spread of covid-19. In addition to them dotted all around the terminal advising to wear a mask, not to sit on certain seats, to keep your distance etc (all for my safety).

What ott restrictions have you seen ?

The biggest piece of Lunacy was a Day Center that we do some work for.
They were closed for the first lockdown as many of the attenders are vunerable
The local Covid Police via the council insisted they have deep clean costing north of £5K before being allowed to reopen
Presumably the council believed the virus could survive for 4 months in an unoccupied building.
I will take the charitable view that no backhanders were involved
 

BJames

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2018
Messages
1,464
I’ve seen a few mentions of this today. Most concerning is how many are supportive of Costco’s stance? Comments pretty much consist of “if they’re exempt it’s too risky for them to go shopping”.
Where has the country got to that this is now the case?
Agreed - I can't stand this logic. That you are guaranteed to die from Covid if you have a face covering exemption is nonsense and completely and immediately dismisses all mental conditions.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Interesting piece on the BBC News at lunchtime I caught most of about how Singapore has been so successful at keeping deaths low.
Strong enforcement of mask wearing and social distancing along with heavy fines for non conformance. Masks outdoors, track and trace seems to use some gizmo they are issuing folks.
Plan to vaccinate the whole population, masks well into 2021 and perhaps beyond.
Of course the Far East are more used to mask wearing and Singapore has always had strong law enforcement.
Suspect it is on I Player or will be on the 1800 news tonight.
Someone I know lives in Singapore. Face coverings are mandatory everywhere including in completely isolated open spaces, parks and the like. Who is this stopping the spread between when you are the only one there?

Are you saying you agree with this, and that we should make this further progression into the authoritarian states that already exist in parts of Asia and the Middle East?
 

packermac

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2019
Messages
543
Location
Swanage
Agreed - I can't stand this logic. That you are guaranteed to die from Covid if you have a face covering exemption is nonsense and completely and immediately dismisses all mental conditions.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Someone I know lives in Singapore. Face coverings are mandatory everywhere including in completely isolated open spaces, parks and the like. Who is this stopping the spread between when you are the only one there?

Are you saying you agree with this, and that we should make this further progression into the authoritarian states that already exist in parts of Asia and the Middle East?
Well I do not know what the Middle East maybe doing about Covid, but I certainly see nothing wrong with the Singapore model. Far too many in this country just taking the p**s
 

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2017
Messages
1,862
Location
Scotland
Far too many in this country just taking the p**s
There are far too many in this country who take the Government's mantra as gospel and believe that a respiratory virus can be controlled in winter.

I have just done a very quick Google search to see that the lowest ever temperature recorded in Singapore was 19°c. You're lucky if it gets that hot in summer in Scotland!
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,583
Well I do not know what the Middle East maybe doing about Covid, but I certainly see nothing wrong with the Singapore model. Far too many in this country just taking the p**s
In what way? Viruses don't respect rules humans have come up with in the vain hope that they can control a virus, which, by the way, you can't irrespective of rules.
 

DB

Guest
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
5,036
In what way? Viruses don't respect rules humans have come up with in the vain hope that they can control a virus, which, by the way, you can't irrespective of rules.

But we must do something, and pointless restrictions and rules are something. Doesn't matter if they cause loads of problems while conferring no benefit.

And if anyone objects that makes them a granny killer.
 

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
In my village, every Christmas Eve, one of the parish councillors dresses up as Santa and rides round the village on his sleigh (a trailer pulled behind a land rover). Normally he is accompanied by elves who give chocolates to the kids and collect donations for charity.

This year they announced that Santa would still be coming, but there would be no elves or chocolates due to Social Distancing. Santa did indeed arrive, on his sleigh, alone, wearing a face mask.

The word's run mad.
 

Alex C.

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2014
Messages
251
Surely that would be a clear breach of the Equalities Act?

I don't see how - I suspect it would be if they had a blanket ban on those not wearing masks without putting in place something to equalise the impact of the policy (e.g taking orders at the door from those unable to enter). They've put in place an alternative option (face shields).

You may have an argument if you can't wear a face shield or a face mask and they refused to accommodate you in any other way but if you wanted to take it further you'd need strong individual medical evidence to support your position. Costco's counter argument would be that their policy is a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim (namely protecting the health and safety of their customers). Regardless of your views on the evidence or lack of, the government and public health authorities across both in the UK and across the world are of the opinion that masks are a means of reducing transmission, and this would be very persuasive in any legal argument.
 

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2012
Messages
1,939
Yep been confirmed there are no face mask exemptions if you want to go in Costco. Thats me no longer going in Costco.
I think you should make one last visit to Costco.
Put on a visor. Fill your trolley to the brim. Reach the checkout, place your trolley by the cashier, tell them what you think of their policy... and leave the full trolley behind, leaving them to placate others in the now blocked queue...
 

gaillark

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2013
Messages
240
Tell them you are not happy with your membership and ask for your membership fee back.
Costco gone crazy - they actually were one of the first for all staff to wear masks.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Tell them you are not happy with your membership and ask for your membership fee back.
They will happily refund membership fees in full any time including on the last day of validity, no reason needed.

As for the Equality Act question, it does not seem clear-cut – though only a court could come to a definitive ruling.
 

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2012
Messages
1,939
They will happily refund membership fees in full any time including on the last day of validity, no reason needed.

As for the Equality Act question, it does not seem clear-cut – though only a court could come to a definitive ruling.
Would you - as things stand at present - have to wear a mask in court when contesting the legitimacy of the policy of ‘no mask, no entry’?
:D
 

JonathanP

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2008
Messages
317
Location
Berlin, Germany
Somebody sent this to me, and I had to check the source, as it seemed so mad it can't have been true. But nope, it apparently is.

St John's Ambulance has updated its CPR guidelines to be COVID safe. Basically, keep your face away from theirs and cover their nose/mouth with a towel, don't give rescue breaths, and any helpers should keep 2m distance. I kid you not.

Considering how often immediate first aid is credited with saving lives, I can see deaths happening in some instances if this advice is followed.


The effect is the exact opposite of what you think it is.

It is obviously far better to give compressions than nothing at all. The aim of this advice is to avoid the case that a potential bystander first-aider thinks "to do CPR I have to do mouth-to-mouth, but I don't want to potentially catch COVID, therefore I will do nothing". If you do want to breaths in addition to compressions then that it your choice.

Compressions are by far the most important part of CPR, and in the first few minutes it makes no difference if there are breaths or not. Even before COVID there was a trend to train "bystander" first aiders not to give breaths, partly because it's more complicated(they can actually make things worse if you do them wrong), and partly because compression only CPR is far better than a bystander thinking "to do CPR I have to do mouth-to-mouth, I don't want to do mouth-to-mouth with this stranger that has just vomited, therefore I will do nothing".

As a volunteer first aider, when I am on duty I carry a "breathing bag", so I don't have this problem. The information I get from my superiors is that it's our choice whether to do mouth-to-mouth if we had to. I think most of my colleagues probably wouldn't.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Would you - as things stand at present - have to wear a mask in court when contesting the legitimacy of the policy of ‘no mask, no entry’?
:D
Courts are not currently prescribed on the list of places where face coverings are required in England, though judges (and magistrates) have wide powers to control the conduct of those in court, on pain of being held in contempt.
I'm sure rescue breaths during CPR became optional years ago.
They did.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top