Bletchleyite
Veteran Member
That means I have to make several different purchases to justify sitting in
You need to do that anyway. Purchasing one coffee then sitting in for hours is bang out of order, I'm afraid, as you are blocking a table without paying them money, preventing others who want to pay them money doing so. Nobody who isn't eating or drinking should be taking up a table. That's just rude; it's not a public library.
In my view, one drink or substantial food item (so about three quid in the till) per hour is about the right level for sitting in a coffee place (or pub[1]) all day.
[1] Spoons maybe an exception as they seem happy for you to buy one coffee and keep refilling it free.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
ETA: Still can't find any government guidelines suggesting that this is the case.
I'd figure it's their policy due to reduced capacity, to ensure the money keeps coming in. And provided you get another hour if you buy another drink, it seems fair to me.