I have to deliver a work training session every now and again. Normally I look forward to it, I have a few slides I use in the background but it's mostly me explaining and discussing things. There's a full pack of documents that we share (in paper format) and I normally see people writing notes, highlighting things etc. as I go through the session. I encourage (and get) questions and it's quite interactive.
This week, for the first time, I did it on Zoom. I had more people (because we've missed a couple of sessions, and because we weren't limited by room capacity), but I got hardly any responses, questions or comments despite regular prompting. To the extent that I messaged someone from my team who was on the call to ask if my microphone was actually working. At one point, someone who wasn't on mute decided to take a personal phone call, which would never have happened in a face to face class. Another person on the call was doing their emails - I know this because my team member was copied into some and she told me afterwards.
The session normally takes 90 minutes but we finished a bit early due to the lack of engagement. Afterwards, I felt drained of energy.
We also run another, more advanced course which covers another part of our department's work. Normally when I mention it at the end of my session, I get a few people ask to put their name down. This time, nothing.
It's work, not school, but the same must apply. Maybe you can make this stuff work online, but it's not as simple as just taking the classroom based training and doing it online. I'm not sure what to do next - there doesn't seem much point in repeating this all in a couple of months. May as well just make a recorded version for people to watch when they want.