• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

the most over the top restrictions introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trebor79

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
4,912
Track and trace is not "nonsense", it is one of the best tools against serious diseases going (if done properly, and there have been some good moves the right way today in moving it to local authorities, allowing it to be more investigative based on local knowledge and not just a "phone a friend service"). The usual whiners will call me "authoritarian", but this is precisely the sort of thing that requires stronger enforcement to keep everyone safe.

Please, everyone, play along with T&T and allow us to avoid stronger legislation and more lockdowns. It's important.
I agree. But it's absurd to be expected to register for sitting on a bench, outside, with no one else from outside your group/family.

I am pleased the organisation is being made more local, though I laughed out loud when I read Dido Harding's explanation. Surely the finest piece of doublespeak ever crafted.
No one is calling T&T nonsense. However the way I read it they are calling the need to register for T&T when you're sat on a bench outside for more than 14 minutes nonsense.
Is the right answer.
 

adc82140

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2008
Messages
3,417
Not so much a restriction, more advice, but:


People having sex with anyone outside their household should wear a face mask and avoid kissing during intercourse to prevent getting coronavirus, a charity has warned.

Although I am led to believe that there is a certain subculture that has, ahem, involved face masks for some time.
 

trebor79

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
4,912
Oh, that's ridiculous! It brings to mind the Jasper Carrot sketch with a condom on a banana (or was it a carrot?).
Where do these people come from? It's as ridiculous as the charity a few years ago that was making an apparently serious suggestion that I've should ask a baby's permission before changing a nappy.

Had my temperature taken at the barbers today "31.6, perfect". Errr, I should be dead...
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
Not so much a restriction, more advice, but:

...

That might be in some 'profession's' safety at work COVID-19 risk planning. The more respected outfits already have planning for STDs so why not respiratory transmission?
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,765
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
That might be in some 'profession's' safety at work COVID-19 risk planning. The more respected outfits already have planning for STDs so why not respiratory transmission?

In any case didn't the late, great George Formby sing of a more COVID-secure method of enjoyment some time ago? :D :D :D
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
Not a restriction, but there was this advice from Canada:


Use barriers, like walls (e.g., glory holes), that allow for sexual contact but prevent close face-to-face contact.

 

BJames

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2018
Messages
1,464
But also....wear a mask.
I shared this amongst my friends. We all thought it was hilarious and to be honest it's starting to show how out of touch some people are.

"it's just advice" - yes, it is. Advice that's going to be ignored.
 

DB

Guest
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
5,036
I shared this amongst my friends. We all thought it was hilarious and to be honest it's starting to show how out of touch some people are.

"it's just advice" - yes, it is. Advice that's going to be ignored.

It's one of those where you have to wonder whether it was written in all seriousness, or whether its authors were taking the piss and seeing how far they could go and still get it accepted as genuine advice!
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
One of my local swimming pools recently "reopened" on 6th August.

I say "reopened" in inverted commas because there are no showers, changing rooms or lockers.

I thought you were supposed to shower before entering the pool for hygiene reasons.

The closure of the changing rooms doesn't make any sense, because in the FAQs section of the website it says:-

Do changing rooms/toilets pose an increased risk of COVID-19 transmission?
As long as you follow social distancing and cleanliness guidelines, there is no increased risk.

So why are the changing rooms closed then?

But the most ridiculous rule of all is:-

"Please bring a towel to dry off and be prepared to go home in your swim wear and clothes over the top if changing rooms are not available"

Great, so I am supposed to go home in wet swimming shorts with a pair of trousers over the top, which is not very comfortable or hygenic.

There are also no lockers, so you are supposed to leave valuables unguarded in your bag at the poolside.

And I can't imagine many women will be happy about getting changed in public by the poolside.

But, don't worry, at least they are keeping us all safe from the dreaded killer virus, which of course is killed by the chlorine in the swimming pool, so there is little to no risk of transmission.

Quite honestly, I don't know why they bothered reopening.<(<(<(
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
That's utterly ridiculous. I've really missed swimming, and it's still a month before pools can reopen in Scotland, but there's no way I'd bother with those restrictions.

Pools are awash with disinfectant anyway!
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
One of my local swimming pools recently "reopened" on 6th August.

I say "reopened" in inverted commas because there are no showers, changing rooms or lockers.

I thought you were supposed to shower before entering the pool for hygiene reasons.

The closure of the changing rooms doesn't make any sense, because in the FAQs section of the website it says:-

Do changing rooms/toilets pose an increased risk of COVID-19 transmission?
As long as you follow social distancing and cleanliness guidelines, there is no increased risk.

So why are the changing rooms closed then?

But the most ridiculous rule of all is:-

"Please bring a towel to dry off and be prepared to go home in your swim wear and clothes over the top if changing rooms are not available"

Great, so I am supposed to go home in wet swimming shorts with a pair of trousers over the top, which is not very comfortable or hygenic.

There are also no lockers, so you are supposed to leave valuables unguarded in your bag at the poolside.

And I can't imagine many women will be happy about getting changed in public by the poolside.

But, don't worry, at least they are keeping us all safe from the dreaded killer virus, which of course is killed by the chlorine in the swimming pool, so there is little to no risk of transmission.

Quite honestly, I don't know why they bothered reopening.<(<(<(
Our local swimming pool is now open for booked 50 minute sessions. I've just booked one for Monday.
There is an expectation that swimmers arrive with swimwear on under their normal clothes so that they can leave their possesions poolside. Lanes are up to eight per two 25m lane pair. Showers and cubicles for use after the swim are available as normal. Everybody there (including women) seem quite happy with the arrangement.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
That's utterly ridiculous. I've really missed swimming, and it's still a month before pools can reopen in Scotland, but there's no way I'd bother with those restrictions.

Pools are awash with disinfectant anyway!
Wild swimming is a a sport, and it's rather exciting!
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
That's utterly ridiculous. I've really missed swimming, and it's still a month before pools can reopen in Scotland, but there's no way I'd bother with those restrictions.

Pools are awash with disinfectant anyway!

It gets even more farcical.

The pool I was referring to was Ladywood Leisure Centre in Birmingham.

Another pool near to me is Harborne Leisure Centre, which is reopening on 1st September and is going to allow people to use the changing rooms, lockers and showers as normal.

Presumably the nasty virus knows to stay away from the rather affluent suburb of Harborne, and go and infect everyone in the rather less affluent suburb of Ladywood.
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
Our local swimming pool is now open for booked 50 minute sessions. I've just booked one for Monday.
There is an expectation that swimmers arrive with swimwear on under their normal clothes so that they can leave their possesions poolside. Lanes are up to eight per two 25m lane pair. Showers and cubicles for use after the swim are available as normal. Everybody there (including women) seem quite happy with the arrangement.
So I can go for a swim for health and exercise, but to get there and back I must sit on the bus wearing my trunks and a face covering. Towel tucked under arm. Awesome!
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
So I can go for a swim for health and exercise, but to get there and back I must sit on the bus wearing my trunks and a face covering. Towel tucked under arm. Awesome!
Please read what I said again:
" There is an expectation that swimmers arrive with swimwear on under their normal clothes "
So yes, you will be sitting on the bus with your trunks on, - but none of the other passengers will know unless you tell them. As far as the towel and anythinng else you are carrying, it isn't necessary to put that under your arm unless you are wearing your school uniform. :)
The fact that you are going for a swim does not change the requirement to wear a face covering on public transport.
 

talldave

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2013
Messages
2,687

farleigh

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2016
Messages
1,156
"Clean your car regularly" - I thought the date was 1st April! I had thought about a spoof mask for my little Smart car, but now realise that Coronaphobes would think it was a real thing!!!
That takes the prize
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
I've just heard on the radio that KFC are ditching their "Finger Lickin' Good" slogan due to current hygiene advice.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,508
Location
Cheshire
I've just heard on the radio that KFC are ditching their "Finger Lickin' Good" slogan due to current hygiene advice.

I had to laugh at this. As a lover of some of this country's finest curries that we are blessed with here in Bradford, I wonder if the thought police will be going after eating with chapati or roti, or even with your hands....
 
Joined
23 May 2020
Messages
293
Location
Blandford Forum
I've just heard on the radio that KFC are ditching their "Finger Lickin' Good" slogan due to current hygiene advice.

I think this must be a publicity stunt. If you sanitise your hands before eating and you only touch the (presumably) clean packaging and the food, you shouldn't be contaminated. So in my view, no risk.
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,601
I think this must be a publicity stunt. If you sanitise your hands before eating and you only touch the (presumably) clean packaging and the food, you shouldn't be contaminated. So in my view, no risk.
You have to take your facemask off to lock you fingers though
 

talldave

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2013
Messages
2,687
I've just heard on the radio that KFC are ditching their "Finger Lickin' Good" slogan due to current hygiene advice.
But they're not addressing the really important issue which is that they changed the fries a while back to vastly inferior ones :(.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top