northwichcat
Veteran Member
Apparently the franchise will officially change over at 2am on 1st April.
Yes, I think on the whole, I shall be sorry to see Northern go (even though they didn't give me a day rover for my last delay).
They have had some good fares and offers if you know where to look. Will Arriva continue with these I wonder.
Looking at a few earlier franchise agreements, the handover time tends to be 02:00 on the first day of the franchise, at which point the previous day's service has finished for most operators. There's no reason to assume that TPE and Northern will be any different.
I do hope Arriva don't waste thousands rebranding stations because the reality is Joe Public don't give two hoots
I hope so too. VTEC should have been made to retain the East Coast livery of silver, white and grey and purple staff uniforms. Virgin red is so brash and is all Virgin is contributing to the franchise. The name and the colour. The other 95% is Souter. For his 5% Branson pockets about £90m per year.
Being a regular user of an unstaffed station with no ticket machine, the reluctance of guards to leave their cab to sell tickets is my biggest gripe with Northern and I don't catch busy services, so no excuse about not being able to walk through carriages.
It can take me longer to queue and buy a ticket then the journey took. When will mobile ticketing be introduced? I hope its a new operator requirement.
Being a regular user of an unstaffed station with no ticket machine, the reluctance of guards to leave their cab to sell tickets is my biggest gripe with Northern and I don't catch busy services, so no excuse about not being able to walk through carriages.
It can take me longer to queue and buy a ticket then the journey took.
Not a Northern fan. Only good thing was the staff who were almost all friendly and helpful.
Problems - ancient rolling stock, little effort made to collect fares, rather inconsistent approach to upgrading stations (eg lots of money spent on Widnes but leaving it without a waiting room at all, and no shelter on the Liverpool platform).
Apparently the franchise will officially change over at 2am on 1st April.
I hope so too. VTEC should have been made to retain the East Coast livery of silver, white and grey and purple staff uniforms. .
Or alternatively you could just as easily claim East Coast shouldn't have been allowed to spend out on any rebranding, bar the absolute essentials. as they were only ever going to be a short term interim operation
Being a regular user of an unstaffed station with no ticket machine, the reluctance of guards to leave their cab to sell tickets is my biggest gripe with Northern and I don't catch busy services, so no excuse about not being able to walk through carriages.
It can take me longer to queue and buy a ticket then the journey took.
When will mobile ticketing be introduced? I hope its a new operator requirement.
Appleby Armathwaite Bentham
Bradford Forster Square Bradford Interchange Brampton (Cumbria)
Carlisle Carnforth Chesterfield
Clapham (North Yorkshire) Deansgate Dent
Dronfield Gargrave Garsdale
Giggleswick Horton-in-Ribblesdale Kirkby Stephen
Langwathby Lazonby & Kirkoswald Liverpool Central
Liverpool James Street Liverpool Lime Street Long Preston
Manchester Oxford Road Manchester Piccadilly Manchester Victoria
MetroCentre Mills Hill (Manchester) Moorfields
Newcastle Ribblehead Saxilby
Settle Skipton Wennington
Wetheral
Apparently the franchise will officially change over at 2am on 1st April.
Why don't you ask the Guard for a ticket then if you want to avoid queuing...?
Mobile ticketing already exists but it's absolutely rubbish. A quick look at the m-Ticket availability from Hellifield restricts my journey options to the following stations:
Code:Appleby Armathwaite Bentham Bradford Forster Square Bradford Interchange Brampton (Cumbria) Carlisle Carnforth Chesterfield Clapham (North Yorkshire) Deansgate Dent Dronfield Gargrave Garsdale Giggleswick Horton-in-Ribblesdale Kirkby Stephen Langwathby Lazonby & Kirkoswald Liverpool Central Liverpool James Street Liverpool Lime Street Long Preston Manchester Oxford Road Manchester Piccadilly Manchester Victoria MetroCentre Mills Hill (Manchester) Moorfields Newcastle Ribblehead Saxilby Settle Skipton Wennington Wetheral
Would the fact that Widnes is a Grade II listed station have anything to do how the money was actually spent there?
jcollins, crehld: Likely because there are trains that aren't operated by Northern covering permitted routes of those fares, and they don't want to have to organise cross-acceptance (or the other TOC refuses to). For example, you probably can't buy tickets to Manchester from Knutsford because you could theoretically change at Stockport onto a Virgin service on a standard ticket, and Virgin wouldn't be too happy to accept Northern's mobile tickets.
Why you can't buy tickets to Stockport or Altrincham though I've no clue!