Last BR steam was 1968. Given that school leaving age was 15 then, we seem to be just coming up to when the last of anyone who was on steam then (potentially as a Passed Cleaner) is going to retire at 65. Or has the final such man finally departed.
There's a driver at my depot who started on steam.
I remember at school in the late 80's (I think) the man from BR came to tell us all not to trespass on the railway. He was a driver who'd retired from front line service and he confirmed that he'd started out working with steam (which presumably would have been the early 60's given phase 2 of the Kent electrification happened in 62).
I know steam lingered on elsewhere, however, I'd be surprised if any of its practitioners were still on front line duties !
When did steam finish on the Cambrian. I'm sure there maybe a few younger guys from then.
I think it was still steam in 65, but I should think by winter TT 66 the Cambrian would have been diesel, quite possibly earlier.
Ownership of the line passed to British Railways in 1948, and it survived through threats of closure to become the last steam railway owned by British Rail until privatised in 1989. The railway is now owned by a charitable trust, who set about renovating and improving the locomotives, carriages and track and opening up some of the views not seen for decades.
I believe there is a driver at Tonbridge depot who started his BR service as a steam fireman in the early 1960s who is still working now as a EMU driver today. He must be one of the oldest drivers working.
The final steam working to Tonbridge being precisely 50 years ago (June 1965)
I know a driver on southern who was a steam driver in 1988 on narrow guage steam in wales, he says it was under BR control. As I'm not 100% it might be the same line as the following picture , https://www.flickr.com/photos/loose_grip_99/195272693
Found the following from the vale or Rheidol railway
When did steam finish on the Cambrian. I'm sure there maybe a few younger guys from then.
.
There were plenty of firemen in earlier diesel days, among other things they were responsible for the steam heating boiler in diesels in the 20 years from dieselisation until ETH became widespread, and also fully overnight rosters had to be double manned. Even more than in steam days, with the right driver they would get some considerable experience of driving before the official conversion course came around.In my local Penzance paper last week, someone just retired from FGW having been a fireman in the mid/late '60s, and saying he was the last with that company.