• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Largest Day Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
By number of track miles availbale on it. Price isn't an issue, I'm just curious. Might try it one day :D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

b0b

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
1,371
surely has to be the London Zones 1-6 travelcard?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
If "the SPT one" is the Roundabout, then I'll say the Daytripper ;)
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
If "the SPT one" is the Roundabout, then I'll say the Daytripper ;)

Thanks Mr Moderator, very useful :D ;)

Actually just thought of it, but I'm not telling
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Actually I haven't turned out to be a Ranger. Goes to show how much iknow about tickets :D
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,192
Location
0035
Actually I haven't turned out to be a Ranger. Goes to show how much iknow about tickets :D
I didn't think there was such a thing as a Day Rover. The rule certainly used to be that Rangers were one day tickets and Rovers were multiple day tickets. The only ones I can think of are the Island Liner Day Rover and the North Wales Rover, although I think there are a few exceptions such as West Yorkshire Day Rovers and the Tyne/Wear multimodal tickets which are actually PTE rather than rail products.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I didn't think there was such a thing as a Day Rover. The rule certainly used to be that Rangers were one day tickets and Rovers were multiple day tickets. The only one I can think of is the Island Line Day Ranger, although I think there are a few exceptions such as West Yorkshire Day Rovers which are actually PTE rather than rail products.

So perhaps in answer to the OP, the answer should be the Island Line Day Rover, as it is the only such ticket ;)

You Moderators and Admins are really useful aren't you? ;) OK what is the biggest one day rover/ranger ticket? Thanks guys :D
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,192
Location
0035
I've updated my first post since your quote as I found a second One Day Rover hiding away there :p
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
lol, thanks, So whatever the name may be, what (by track miles) is the largest one-day ticket in Britain? :D
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
Southern Day Save?; Milton keynes-Southampton Central-Ashford International
 

mrcheek

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2007
Messages
1,607
The West Midlands Day Ranger seems to cover the largest area to me. But its not like Ive measured it or anything.

But if youre talking track mileage, then it has to be a London Travelcard (including all rail, tube, bus and tram routes! must be hundreds and hundreds of miles!)
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
The West Midlands Day Ranger seems to cover the largest area to me. But its not like Ive measured it or anything.

But if youre talking track mileage, then it has to be a London Travelcard (including all rail, tube, bus and tram routes! must be hundreds and hundreds of miles!)

I was talking track mileage, Northern do quite a good set of leaflets. your not still mad with them about the GUI wheelchair are you mrcheek :D
 

mrcheek

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2007
Messages
1,607
Of course, if you wanted to do maximum mileage in a day, it would be best to get a NorthEast Round Robin, and just go back and forth on the fast services between York and Newcastle all day. You could average almost 100 miles an hour!
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,144
Location
Redcar
Make it York to Darlington, you might manage an average of more than that as you dont have the slow sections in County Durham. Plenty of XC services to tootle back and forth on, if thats your sort of thing.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Look guys I'm not after mileage or getting HSTs, I was just curious, would be nice to know. Thanks for all the advice anyway :D :D
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Suppose you could say that the ALR is the best for mileage - you don't have to use it for the full 7 days!
 

daikilo

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,623
Look guys I'm not after mileage or getting HSTs, I was just curious, would be nice to know. Thanks for all the advice anyway :D :D

Let's assume you have an idea of an area you would like to visit. What if you just ask the incumbent to make a best offer.

At the same time launch the same question at a local rail booking office.

Choose the best solution. It really is as simple as that, unless you find a better deal on the web.
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
Other than a Daysave, I might hazard a guess at a Cheshire Day Ranger; not a huge area but quite a lot of different lines.
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Heart of England Rover is huge. Crewe to Northampton and down to Cheltenham is a big area.
 

12CSVT

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2010
Messages
2,611
surely has to be the London Zones 1-6 travelcard?

For those interested to know, there is a 9 zone travelcard to cover the London Underground and London Overground stations outside Greater London (except Watford Junction) however these can only be purchased at stations in zones 7-9.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
For those interested to know, there is a 9 zone travelcard to cover the London Underground and London Overground stations outside Greater London (except Watford Junction) however these can only be purchased at stations in zones 7-9.

You can purchase it online as well. Just enter a station in zones 7-9 and london all zones travelcard in the destination.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top