• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Labour Party under Andy Burnham

3RDGEN

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2023
Messages
636
Location
Hull
You may have noticed Louise Haigh (former Transport Secretary who tabled the TOC nationalisation Bill after the election) sitting at the right hand of Andy Burnham in the Commons since parliament has resumed.
She is said to be Andy's minder and enforcer of policy, as Minister for the Cabinet Office.
She will doubtless have a senior role in how the Railways Bill is progressed and enacted.
What experience of the Railway does Louise Haigh have?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,928
Location
Mold, Clwyd
What experience of the Railway does Louise Haigh have?
Doesn't being Transport Secretary for a year count?
She also allegedly solved the then (2024) industrial relations issues on the railway by allowing an above-inflation pay deal (which seems to have been repeated with the recent Avanti drivers' deal).
 

Stossgebet

Member
Joined
3 Oct 2024
Messages
202
Location
Midlands
Doesn't being Transport Secretary for a year count?
She also allegedly solved the then (2024) industrial relations issues on the railway by allowing an above-inflation pay deal (which seems to have been repeated with the recent Avanti drivers' deal).
That is scandolously incorrect. She didn't solve the dispute with "an above inflation paydeal".
That paydeal was about half the rate of inflation for the time period between 2019 and 2024, when it was resolved.
And if you are critical of the so called rise that has just been announced, which is level with RPI, then that further shoots your credibility. If you think a so called rise, that after income tax, is actually 40% below inflation, is something that should be a news story in any context other than neutral, then we know your biases are unpleasant.

What is very interesting about it though. Is that she was sacked very soon after that paydeal. And sacked not because of something done by rival political parties, but because of her fraud conviction, which was leaked in a way that could only have come from within the labour party (and/or its leadership), which could go someway to explain her new bff status with the new leader.
 

3RDGEN

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2023
Messages
636
Location
Hull
That is scandolously incorrect. She didn't solve the dispute with "an above inflation paydeal".
That paydeal was about half the rate of inflation for the time period between 2019 and 2024, when it was resolved.
And if you are critical of the so called rise that has just been announced, which is level with RPI, then that further shoots your credibility. If you think a so called rise, that after income tax, is actually 40% below inflation, is something that should be a news story in any context other than neutral, then we know your biases are unpleasant.

What is very interesting about it though. Is that she was sacked very soon after that paydeal. And sacked not because of something done by rival political parties, but because of her fraud conviction, which was leaked in a way that could only have come from within the labour party (and/or its leadership), which could go someway to explain her new bff status with the new leader.
Wasn't really sacked more knifed in the back by her own side as the pay award wasn't prior agreed further up the chain.
Doesn't being Transport Secretary for a year count?
No, not really.
 

Thirteen

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2021
Messages
1,900
Location
London
Heidi Alexander is probably the closest to having any transport experience as she was Deputy London Mayor for Transport
 

Carlisle

Established Member
Joined
26 Aug 2012
Messages
4,514
Proposals for a no cap tourist tax, refusal to consider cutting welfare benefits to fund defence & confusions over longer term ramifications of the new Israel policy given it’s forthcoming elections, suggest Mr Burnham’s honeymoon period might be nearing its end.
I’ve no idea wether he’ll prove a good or bad PM just think its starting to look a bit more challenging.
 
Last edited:

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,513
Location
Taunton or Kent
Proposals for a no cap tourist tax, refusal to consider cutting welfare benefits to fund defence & confusions over longer term ramifications of the new Israel policy given it’s forthcoming elections, suggest Mr Burnham’s honeymoon period might be nearing its end.
I’ve no idea wether he’ll prove a good or bad PM just think its starting to look a bit more challenging.
How controversial is a tourist tax, given the UK would not be the first place to bring it in? I also don't think the unlimited rate is something to worry about; no-one with the power to implement it would set it so high that it deters tourism, while if a cap did exist, almost every authority would just implement the cap rate, similar to how almost every council puts council tax up 5% a year.
 

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,147
Location
Liverpool
How controversial is a tourist tax, given the UK would not be the first place to bring it in? I also don't think the unlimited rate is something to worry about; no-one with the power to implement it would set it so high that it deters tourism, while if a cap did exist, almost every authority would just implement the cap rate, similar to how almost every council puts council tax up 5% a year.
Having recently paid a tourist tax in Switzerland it was a little annoying, especially given how it was only something I learned of last minute, but it's hardly a dealbreaker to be honest. I think as long as you don't make it silly ridiculous it won't be too much of an issue in the UK, especially when property and hotel prices in London can feel quite punitive.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,531
Location
LBK
If there is to be a tourist tax it should really apply to visitors. We ought to incentivise domestic holidaying.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,424
Location
Yorkshire
If there is to be a tourist tax it should really apply to visitors. We ought to incentivise domestic holidaying.
Agreed. 100%

But...
Having recently paid a tourist tax in Switzerland it was a little annoying, especially given how it was only something I learned of last minute, ...
This is my issue with it.

I want to see the inclusive cost, pay it up front and be done with it.

I don't want to faff at check in, or - worse - at check out, when I thought I had already paid.

Italy can be atrocious for this.
 

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,147
Location
Liverpool
This is my issue with it.

I want to see the inclusive cost, pay it up front and be done with it.

I don't want to faff at check in, or - worse - at check out, when I thought I had already paid.

Italy can be atrocious for this.
One can only imagine the frustration of travelling to America where you have to consider a potential state and city/county level hotel tax along with the sales taxes you'd be paying at a till because it's not included in the price tags, and the calculations for tipping at restaurants and eateries.

I'm very much with you on paying the inclusive costs up front and being done with it. I didn't even mind paying the 58 francs, but given Switzerland isn't exactly cheap it would've been nice to be aware I might've been hit with a tourist tax beforehand.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,611
Location
Isle of Man
didn't even mind paying the 58 francs, but given Switzerland isn't exactly cheap it would've been nice to be aware I might've been hit with a tourist tax beforehand.
That sounds more like a retailer issue. I stayed in Basel over the summer and I was told in advance by the hotel that I would have to pay a tourist tax locally at the hotel and that the tourist tax gave me free use of public transport. I could even use the hotel booking email as my ticket on the bus from the airport.

I’ve stayed with IHG in Manchester and Liverpool recently and in both cases they were clear that there was a tourist tax to be paid locally at the hotel.

refusal to consider cutting welfare benefits to fund defence
Taking money off the poorest people in society and giving it to BAe shareholders is an…interesting…thing to demand.

I’m always curious what people mean by “defence.” Do they mean increasing spending with the likes of QinetiQ, whose biggest single shareholder is the delightful chappie who gave Farage his five million quid?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

longer term ramifications of the new Israel policy
There are 12 other countries who have taken the same position at the same time. It seems this has been glossed over by the right wing media here.

The fact that our Foreign Secretary is Jewish has made it so that the usual caterwauling about anti-semitism doesn’t really stick. Ephraim Mirvis sticking his oar in to accuse a British Jewish politician of being anti-Semitic has simply made it even more obvious that he’s nothing other than a Likud shill.
 
Last edited:

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,243
Location
UK
I want to see the inclusive cost, pay it up front and be done with it.

I don't want to faff at check in, or - worse - at check out, when I thought I had already paid.

Italy can be atrocious for this.
Yes, the way that it is done in France, where it must be paid upon check-in, is infuriating.
 

johntea

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
3,047
One can only imagine the frustration of travelling to America where you have to consider a potential state and city/county level hotel tax along with the sales taxes you'd be paying at a till because it's not included in the price tags, and the calculations for tipping at restaurants and eateries.

I'm very much with you on paying the inclusive costs up front and being done with it. I didn't even mind paying the 58 francs, but given Switzerland isn't exactly cheap it would've been nice to be aware I might've been hit with a tourist tax beforehand.

This always used to catch me out on trips to America especially as I generally prefer to spend in cash rather than card whilst there

'Ah great this item is $10 I've got a $10 note handy'

'That'll be $10.68 please!'
 

Harpo

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2024
Messages
3,888
Location
Newport
There’s a certain irony with tourist tax that many locations already make more per UK visitor than foreigners through gift aid paid out of income tax along with many major museums etc. funded centrally to enable free entry for every nationality.
 

Drogba11CFC

Member
Joined
15 Sep 2009
Messages
941
Seems to me as though Labour want to impose taxes on everything people enjoy. Wouldn't surprise me if they impose something like a football tax next.
 

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,964
Location
Northampton
Seems to me as though Labour want to impose taxes on everything people enjoy. Wouldn't surprise me if they impose something like a football tax next.

What will the tourist tax be charged on, I wonder? Presumably, from its name, events and organisations that attract people who 'tour'.
So quite likely charged on heritage railway fares.
It's not much of an extension for it to be charged on football admission charges.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,531
Location
LBK
What will the tourist tax be charged on, I wonder? Presumably, from its name, events and organisations that attract people who 'tour'.
So quite likely charged on heritage railway fares.
No, that's not what a tourist tax is. It is a tax on hotel stays collected by hotels and passed on to the local government.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,109
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Seems to me as though Labour want to impose taxes on everything people enjoy. Wouldn't surprise me if they impose something like a football tax next.
Sssshhh....don't give them ideas! Rumour has it that at least one MP follows these forums. ;) Seriously though, they could do with increasing the tax on some of the top-flight footballers' earnings
 

Cdd89

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2017
Messages
1,762
Charging a percentage rather than a fixed amount per night by star level is an interesting choice. I wonder if the UK Govt questioned why many other cities charge fixed amounts (rather than just assuming a percentage is better)?

It's not clear what the percentage is to be based on. If it's everything then it will feel very unfair to pay it on hotel restaurants and not all restaurants. If it's the pre-tax room rate then that's surprisingly opaque and an absolute can of worms.

You could have the same hotel with:
  • An £80 room rate
  • A £150 room rate that includes breakfast and parking
  • A £30 room rate and an unbundled £50 destination fee
  • A guest staying on a 15,000 Points redemption, where the room rate is zero
  • A guest staying on a 5,000 Points redemption plus £50, where the hotel chain insists the £50 is not a room rate but a cash co-pay for the points
I guess it's a gamble as to whether the upside from £25 off the odd £500/night stay is greater or less than the lost tax from games around the definition of the room rate.

I would say the government saying it's a percentage to protect low income budget travellers seems disingenuous, the existing flat rate schemes accomplish that with ~€1 on the lowest hotel categories, a hotel night would need to be under £17 for 5% to be superior. It seems more about maximising the revenue from high-end hotel stays and nights with huge events going on.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,611
Location
Isle of Man
Seriously though, they could do with increasing the tax on some of the top-flight footballers' earnings
Footballers are employees and so they already pay lots and lots of tax, as do their employers. There is some scope for shenanigans with image rights (which isn't income from employment) but it is fairly limited and HMRC go over it with a fine-tooth comb. Otherwise, their income comes from employment.

Footballers are therefore usually on PAYE, at least for their basic wage and performance bonuses.

Why do you think tax-free Saudi Arabia is now so popular with professional footballers?

You could have the same hotel with:
  • An £80 room rate
  • A £150 room rate that includes breakfast and parking
  • A £30 room rate and an unbundled £50 destination fee
  • A guest staying on a 15,000 Points redemption, where the room rate is zero
  • A guest staying on a 5,000 Points redemption plus £50, where the hotel chain insists the £50 is not a room rate but a cash co-pay for the points
Points redemptions do have an underlying room rate, the points scheme administrator pays the hotel for the room. This room rate isn't publicly available (usually because the rate is very low- the chap behind Head for Points was accidentally given the wrong invoice once and saw the room rate was about £30) but the businesses apply a cash value to the redemption.

For points redemptions there are different ways of doing it, even with the same chain. At IHG the redemption is inclusive of the 5%+VAT tourist levy in Edinburgh but in Manchester and Liverpool the redemption is exclusive of the tourist levy, which is collected locally at check-in. It presumably suits them to do it this way so that in Edinburgh they don't have to reveal the underlying cash value of a redemption room. In cities with a flat rate they don't have this issue so can pass the cost on to the customer more easily.

For destination/resort fees it will depend on what you get for the fee and whether it is something you can opt out of. If you get sod all and you can't opt out of it then it'll presumbly be taxed.
 

zero

Established Member
Joined
3 Apr 2011
Messages
1,607
With IHG, 99% of the time your account history shows how much the hotel got paid for a redemption, though it's not explicity described as such.

Typically it is a nominal value until the hotel is more than ~95% occupied, and then they get paid close to the rack rate. Lowest I've seen is £9 for a London hotel, while one of the Tokyo Intercontinentals got paid USD500 on a free night I had
 

Drogba11CFC

Member
Joined
15 Sep 2009
Messages
941
It might be just me, but the new school meal rules come across as extremely joyless. No fish and chips, no fruit juice or squash, only one pudding a week, all pupils must have chickpeas or lentils once a week...it wouldn't surprise me if they keep taking anything popular off the menu.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,109
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Don't think I have ever had lentils or chickpeas in my life....
What? You don't know what you're missing! Two of the purest and healthiest forms of protein known to humankind....with the added bonus of being a great cure for - or prevention against - constipation! ;)
 

m0ffy

Member
Joined
24 May 2022
Messages
371
Location
Leicestershire
I can’t find any reference to pulses in the guidance, but I may be missing it. Overall, this feels like a positive move. Dietary needs have moved on since school meals were introduced and they don’t have to be the calorific anchor they were established to be. Funding, however, is where this will falter (that, and bringing back Jamie Olive Oil) - breakfast clubs are already funded well below sustainable levels and some LAs, like Leicestershire, are closing catering services for political reasons.
 

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,147
Location
Liverpool
Regardless of what one thinks about the new school meal requirements, what do schools plan to do about children on packed lunches? Would they actively encourage teachers and staff to confiscate someone's KitKat or would they consider it not worth the hassle given it's a parental decision outside the school's control?
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,531
Location
LBK
It might be just me, but the new school meal rules come across as extremely joyless. No fish and chips, no fruit juice or squash, only one pudding a week, all pupils must have chickpeas or lentils once a week...it wouldn't surprise me if they keep taking anything popular off the menu.
You'd be surprised. Kids now have much wider palates than in my day and that's a good thing. My 17 month old goes to nursery and her lunches over the last 5 days have been:

Savoury mince with vegetables, mixed beans and new potatoes
Mozzarella and cherry tomato pasta with spinach
Chicken and vegetables in a basil and tomato sauce with couscous
Pepper quiche with herbed potatoes, peas and onions
Mild vegetarian curry with rice and mini naan

And she eats all of it. Kids don't have a concept of joyless food, most of them really like a wide range of it if you let them try it early and eat appropriate "adult" meals at the table with you. I would never have thought a toddler would like floured basa fillets or stroganoff or turkey mince curry but you learn something new every day! When I was at school I had chips and beans most days with something like a turkey twizzler or breaded chicken or dalesteak. It's not great to be honest, I wish I'd have been weaned on what my kid is getting now!
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,917
Location
Gwynedd
You'd be surprised. Kids now have much wider palates than in my day and that's a good thing. My 17 month old goes to nursery and her lunches over the last 5 days have been:

Savoury mince with vegetables, mixed beans and new potatoes
Mozzarella and cherry tomato pasta with spinach
Chicken and vegetables in a basil and tomato sauce with couscous
Pepper quiche with herbed potatoes, peas and onions
Mild vegetarian curry with rice and mini naan

And she eats all of it. Kids don't have a concept of joyless food, most of them really like a wide range of it if you let them try it early and eat appropriate "adult" meals at the table with you. I would never have thought a toddler would like floured basa fillets or stroganoff or turkey mince curry but you learn something new every day! When I was at school I had chips and beans most days with something like a turkey twizzler or breaded chicken or dalesteak. It's not great to be honest, I wish I'd have been weaned on what my kid is getting now!
I think this has a habit of dying off a little later on.

Our 8 year old niece used to eat everything you put in front of her when she was 2. I know, because I made her everything from butternut squash risotto to lamb madras. But more recently she has developed a habit of saying, "It's too spicy.", even when it's a creamy korma or some fajitas. We believe this has come from her grandma, who she has lived with for quite a while at times, and is someone who considers a korma or fajitas to be spicy. She's also started saying she doesn't like tomatoes when she would previously eat plum toms like grapes, which we suspect is similarly because her grandma doesn't like tomatoes.

I am sure that in the future she will come back to these foods and enjoy them but it has been a bit of a journey.

I do however applaud schools which serve up diverse menus. I know Jamie Oliver got a lot of flack for turkey twizzlers but I think he was onto something trying to change the nutrition of school dinners. The UK has an obesity crisis and by the time people get to adulthood it is often really difficult to change diets and eating habits. So I applaud the government for their new school food standards.
 

Top