I find the whole Starmer/Mandelson thing a huge nonsense from the Westminster bubble.
I wonder whether it's simply a mistaken logic along the lines of:
Mandelson scandal similar to Pincher scandal
Mandelson's wrongdoing harmful to country
Mandelson's associates far worse than Pincher
Pincher scandal brought down Boris
Therefore Starmer must go
Now, obviously this logic has more holes in it than a piece of Emmental, but it is tempting, particularly given the current appetite for blood-letting in the Labour party (which, for what it's worth, I would mostly place on McSweeney).
I mean that Starmer obviously got it wrong and made a fool of himself, but he didn’t crash the economy, act as a lying hypocrite, and cause thousands more people to die than a competent PM would have done, to think of some of his recent predecessors.
Absolutely.
He made a stupid mistake and he’s owned up to it.
The decent and honourable thing to do, but of course we've had, for the five years before this government took office, a succession of premierships who have lied their way through mistakes and made them with such frequency that each one becomes a resigning matter. I don't think Starmer's at that stage yet, and if he chooses a decent chief of staff then things will improve, but he's testing my patience.
And the candidates to replace him aren’t exactly stunning, someone who broke the financial rules her department was responsible for, for example.
Which is pretty much Starmer and his team's fault thanks to their misguided attempts to reduce the Labour party to a single faction. Obviously I could name Labour MPs who I'd rather have in Number 10, but I'd be completely delusional to believe they could win a leadership election.
I certainly criticise Starmer for other incompetence since he became PM, but I don’t see how replacing him will improve anything for anyone.
I don’t cry over McSweeney’s departure, of course.
Agreed on both counts. I agree with Gordon Brown's analysis here - Starmer gets my vote of confidence for now, but if things don't improve now that McSweeney has gone, the writing will be on the wall.