Yeah although on many infrastructure projects I do think the UK just doesn't do them very well. Costs balloon, whether it's a railway line or a hospital or an IT system.Agreed. HS2 is a case in point, as would be a "proper" Northern Powerhouse Rail and other significant public transport improvements. Plus say a brace of new nuclear power stations.
Borrowing to fund capex of this nature makes sense, as the cost can be paid back from the tax receipts from the growth delivered.
I've never worked in government procurement, but as an outsider the whole thing seems messed up. I know on 'on the ground' projects, planning laws can get in the way and Labour is rightly trying to reform these, but I don't believe they're the only significant cost. We just seem really bad at major projects.
Otherwise yes, HS2 and Northern Powerhouse Rail are 100% the things we should be investing in to grow the economy and improve the lives of people in this country.