You and everybody else. I suspect the problem is that Starmer and Reeves didn't think about it at all beyond the narrative of petrol tax being a tax on working people. The environmental impact and the impact on some of the poorest in society from the bus changes is huge of course, but is lost in all the principles and people being very clear.Just got back from holiday yesterday after the budget so I'm now playing catch up, and wondering about the transport side of it. I thought Labour were a bit more pro public transport than the Tories, and also desperate to raise £billions to fund their objectives, so why on earth would they not raise fuel taxes? A couple of years ago on holiday (in Europe) it was noticeable that their fuel prices were cheaper than ours but now it seems that UK fuel prices are getting lower and lower by comparison, and also in comparison with most other things, especially food etc. So why this huge favour to motorists by freezing fuel duty? What am I not understanding?
At least ending the "temporary" 5p cut would surely have been relatively uncontroversial, and sensible grown-ups like the IFS are throwing their hands up in despair, but it seems like Starmer and Reeves are too busy playing 5-dimensional political chess to make the obviously necessary choices.
I'm reasonably optimistic that there was just an overwhelming number of decisions to be made in this budget, and getting to the right place on transport was difficult to do. If so then you'd expect a reorienting to happen in future budgets, particularly next year if the economy is improving.
I'm a bit worried in general though that 100 year investment in HS2/NPR and the 50 year investment in transpennine is being seen as "supporting public transport", so further assaults on the wallets of the poor souls who have to travel on the railways that actually exist today are somehow morally justified. The big environmental action seems to be largely in aggressively stupid money pits like hydrogen and carbon capture rather than getting the basics right.