• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Jeremy Kyle Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Whilst off at Christmas I had the misfortune to stumble across "the best of" version of this show.(an oxymoron it would seem :p)

Are the participants always inarticulate overweight "trailer trash" with bad teeth or was this an exception to the rule ?

Does the programme ever feature "middle class" people or is it solely reliant upon what may be described as "the underclass".

It seems "poverty porn" is alive and well in this particular arena. Does anyone know people who have taken part ?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DownSouth

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2011
Messages
1,545
Whilst off at Christmas I had the misfortune to stumble across "the best of" version of this show.(an oxymoron it would seem :p)
Not an oxymoron, just an extremely short program :D
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
It's basically Jeremy's private fiefdom where he can (and does) shoot down any criticism or anyone who disagrees with what must be a predetermined outcome - it pretends not to be but the show is heavily biased in favour of whoever comes out first.

Make no mistake, any guests play second fiddle to Jeremy's ego
 

Tracked

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2011
Messages
1,342
Location
53.5440°N 1.1510°W
I always wonder how many of the "guests" are actors, there must be some acting agency in Manchester or something that sends its uglier clients on for at least some of them. I'm sure "Kevin, Who Suspects His Girlfriend is Sleeping with Horses" from series 12 is also "Garry, Whose Partner Suspects Him of Sending Photo's of His Toes to Nuns" from series 7...

Not that I watch it often, but it's on at work when I'm on my break sometimes ;)
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
I find it is something I wont watch on purpose but if it comes on I wont necessarily be turning over.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks its not as real as it is made to look!
 

RPM

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2009
Messages
1,531
Location
Buckinghamshire
It is the modern day equivalent of Victorians visiting Bedlam to gawp at the lunatics. Members of the underclass who are too naïve to see what is happening are duped into coming onto Kyle's show because they think they are getting help. Instead they are cynically being used. The Great British Public laugh at their plight and pat themselves on the back, thinking however bad their own lives are, at least there are others in a worse state at whom that can sneer. Entertainment dressed up as therapy. As for Kyle he is the smuggest, most sanctimonious little git in the UK. If he didn't surround himself with enormous security apes he would be long dead.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
It is the modern day equivalent of Victorians visiting Bedlam to gawp at the lunatics. Members of the underclass who are too naïve to see what is happening are duped into coming onto Kyle's show because they think they are getting help. Instead they are cynically being used. The Great British Public laugh at their plight and pat themselves on the back, thinking however bad their own lives are, at least there are others in a worse state at whom that can sneer. Entertainment dressed up as therapy. As for Kyle he is the smuggest, most sanctimonious little git in the UK. If he didn't surround himself with enormous security apes he would be long dead.

Do these sort of people realise they are "brain dead" as they seemingly only mix with those with a similar lack of intellect who are unlikey to be in the slightest bit challenging or judgemental.:p
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
I always wonder how many of the "guests" are actors,

Some dopey job dodger down the road was on it a few years ago so at least some of them are genuine!

I didnt watch it but it was all that was talked about up the kids school for a a couple of weeks!
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,468
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Not that I would ever consider watching this programme, but I have heard it described as "the 21st century equivalent to bear-baiting".

From what I hear, the mental capacity to logically find a way through life's problems is an attribute that is lacking in the unfortunates who appear on this programme.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Not that I would ever consider watching this programme, but I have heard it described as "the 21st century equivalent to bear-baiting".

From what I hear, the mental capacity to logically find a way through life's problems is an attribute that is lacking in the unfortunates who appear on this programme.


Would they be categorised as the "undeserving poor" :idea:
 

Amberley54

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2013
Messages
305
Location
East Cheshire.
Would they be categorised as the "undeserving poor" :idea:

From what albeit little I've seen of it, the majority seem to fall into the category of the "couldn't give a s**t poor.'

Sad thing is many of the younger guests could spend years haunted by the replaying of their 15 minutes of 'fame' via YouTube etc.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
From what albeit little I've seen of it, the majority seem to fall into the category of the "couldn't give a s**t poor.'

Sad thing is many of the younger guests could spend years haunted by the replaying of their 15 minutes of 'fame' via YouTube etc.

Are these the sort of people to whom Employers would prefer to employ Romanians or Bulgarians in place of ? :idea:
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I have watched the Kyle show on more than one occasion. Mostly for comic value but I do have a grudging respect for the man and his work.

They DO offer a lot of support for those who go along.

Yes it has a reputation for being nothing more than a cesspit for screaming working class women and men who have fathered dozens of children through dozens of other women and men, resulting in a scramble for DNA tests and lie detectors, culminating in a desperate youth shouting at his mother; 'All these years, you lied to me!'

But there's a lot going on behind the scenes which doesn't make the actual show. They do take steps to rehabilitate people with problems, and counsel families at each others throats. They don't just bring people along for the hell of it. There is a support network involved here.
 

meridian2

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2013
Messages
1,186
I have watched the Kyle show on more than one occasion. Mostly for comic value but I do have a grudging respect for the man and his work.

They DO offer a lot of support for those who go along.

Yes it has a reputation for being nothing more than a cesspit for screaming working class women and men who have fathered dozens of children through dozens of other women and men, resulting in a scramble for DNA tests and lie detectors, culminating in a desperate youth shouting at his mother; 'All these years, you lied to me!'

But there's a lot going on behind the scenes which doesn't make the actual show. They do take steps to rehabilitate people with problems, and counsel families at each others throats. They don't just bring people along for the hell of it. There is a support network involved here.

What goes on behind the scenes is of no interest to those who simply want to make a show entertaining. Jeremy Kyle is no different here.
 

deltic1989

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2010
Messages
1,483
Location
Nottingham
I happen to personally know 3 people (all from the same family) who have appeared on this show and it would appear from what they have told me that the guests are paid to appear, plus they are put up in a hotel in Manchester with a blank cheque behind the bar.
If this is indeed the case I can see the attraction for the sector of the community known as chav's, who seem to be out for whatever they can get for nothing, and they seem to revel in the 'celebrity' status that it gives them within their "manor".
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Anyone see "Benefits Street" on Channel Four last night ?

Prime "Jeremy Kyle" material on show - no money for "The Bedroom Tax" but seemingly enough for alcohol and cigarettes :idea:
 
Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,468
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Anyone see "Benefits Street" on Channel Four last night ? Prime "Jeremy Kyle" material on show - no money for "The Bedroom Tax" but seemingly enough for alcohol and cigarettes :idea:

With the last of those items you mention, noting your reputation as the defender of all things tobacco-related shining bright as the flame from a newly-struck Swan Vestas match, I would assume that you meant that item to come under the term of "life's essentials"....:D
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
With the last of those items you mention, noting your reputation as the defender of all things tobacco-related shining bright as the flame from a newly-struck Swan Vestas match, I would assume that you meant that item to come under the term of "life's essentials"....:D

"Swan Vestas" - theres a blast from the past comparable to "Bluebell" :p

With regard to "all things tobacco -related" these freeloaders are the exception to the rule.
 

Johnuk123

Established Member
Joined
19 Mar 2012
Messages
2,800
I happen to personally know 3 people (all from the same family) who have appeared on this show and it would appear from what they have told me that the guests are paid to appear, plus they are put up in a hotel in Manchester with a blank cheque behind the bar.
If this is indeed the case I can see the attraction for the sector of the community known as chav's, who seem to be out for whatever they can get for nothing, and they seem to revel in the 'celebrity' status that it gives them within their "manor".

I believe that they get travelling expenses a free hotel and booze, even brainless scroungers won't be ridiculed for nothing.
 

mac

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2010
Messages
553
I happen to personally know 3 people (all from the same family) who have appeared on this show and it would appear from what they have told me that the guests are paid to appear, plus they are put up in a hotel in Manchester with a blank cheque behind the bar.
If this is indeed the case I can see the attraction for the sector of the community known as chav's, who seem to be out for whatever they can get for nothing, and they seem to revel in the 'celebrity' status that it gives them within their "manor".

On holiday about 3 years ago I spoke to the lady who used to book the guests and she said they got paid £250 to appear.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Anyone see "Benefits Street" on Channel Four last night ?

Prime "Jeremy Kyle" material on show - no money for "The Bedroom Tax" but seemingly enough for alcohol and cigarettes :idea:

That was right down the Fox News end of the neutrality scale (it goes up to Switzerland if anyone is interested)
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
That was right down the Fox News end of the neutrality scale (it goes up to Switzerland if anyone is interested)

I must admit "Benefits Street" is quite addictive - "Butts the Poverty Porn Voyeur" :oops:

What I don't understand is why they have not interviewed some of the people living on the street who actually work. It would be interesting to hear their views on their neighbours.
 

Johnuk123

Established Member
Joined
19 Mar 2012
Messages
2,800
I must admit "Benefits Street" is quite addictive - "Butts the Poverty Porn Voyeur" :oops:

What I don't understand is why they have not interviewed some of the people living on the street who actually work. It would be interesting to hear their views on their neighbours.

WMP have been inundated with calls to investigate the obvious criminality going on in this street.
As regards finding working people on the street that could be difficult.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
WMP have been inundated with calls to investigate the obvious criminality going on in this street.
As regards finding working people on the street that could be difficult.

It did say that some residents are gainfully employed :p
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Ah, yes, the:

"I cannae get the matches tae light.

Ya dunderheid. Ah telt ye, ye should have used Scottish Bluebell!"

advert springs to mind :)

Ship anyone or England's Glory :lol:

Back on topic - do people like those featured in the programme live all over the UK in various pockets of deprivation ?

I know Politicians take a bit of stick, but I feel people like this would exist whatever the complexion of the The Government.

What should be done with them :idea:
 

youngboy

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2013
Messages
128
Ship anyone or England's Glory :lol:

Back on topic - do people like those featured in the programme live all over the UK in various pockets of deprivation ?

I would say they do butts, I've worked all over the North West and it seems every town or city has an area of notoriety.

I got divorced five years ago and rented a house in an area of my own home town which people said to me was 'rough'....and it was.
Just like benefits street it had a well known shoplifter who everyone bought razors and blades, batteries, toys, clothes off.

If you imagine a children's play park bordered on three sides by houses that's what it was, I saw organised fights on the park with upwards of 50/60 lads AND girls.
Summer was a nightmare because that just brought them all out, the sun was on the backs of one row of houses all day so they would all carry their sofas out the houses and plonk them on the pavement on the other side where it was sunny, then sit there from 10.30 at morning till midnight smoking cannabis, drinking Stella and watch their kids vandalise the park.
The police were there every night dealing with domestic incidents, mostly caused by the alcohol and drugs.
I don't know how to deal with areas like these, but I do think these families are well known to the police and local council so are deliberately housed together making it easier to police one area, and let them just wreck the one estate as opposed to splitting them up and having them spread all over like a virus.
Anyway I lived there three years, then as soon as I could I moved house to a nicer area.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top