• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Great Circular European Railway Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
We may be at cross purposes here.

I was thinking of a simple All Aboard , not the Italian Coastguard version.

I'd prefer "where can I buy a metro pass"
It's out of my hands, one thing I've learned with these arty types is dont ask for a quick job and dont tell them how to do it either.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
gcerc2.jpg

i gave them this, which is a very rough idea, neatened up with the platform signs looking genuine it might work. I tired including little loops for the city tours but that's just too much, there's 29 platform signs as it is.
 
Last edited:

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
Yes i like it as well. Could this be adapted for the disOrient Express? Is it legal to mention Constantinople in Turkey?

I actually collect postcard size reproductions of Railway poster art. I've seen this one in larger sizes but not the one I want.
 

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
That looks like good news. They say that there is a 24 hour luggage counter as well as lockers so that would solve the change thing for one stop.

We used the station to catch a train to Poland in September 2010 and there was a lot of building going on then.
 

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
Yes i like it as well. Could this be adapted for the disOrient Express? Is it legal to mention Constantinople in Turkey?

I actually collect postcard size reproductions of Railway poster art. I've seen this one in larger sizes but not the one I want.
we were doing it right up to the 30s, like it's only been pushing 600 years.
the thing is, istanbul, or istanbulu, is a greek word, contemporary Greek for "the city" is "stin poli",
so I'm going old school, "London to Constantinople and back, via everywhere".
is now the blog tag line.
.

re the art, there's some great 30s stuff isnt there, the sleeks stuff, doesnt work for our purposes but great
pierre-fix-masseau-victoria-station-london-orient-express.jpg

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
http://elenedom.wordpress.com/2011/01/04/trippy-journal-part-iii-prague-prague-blog/
elene was in prague station barely a year ago, and she thought it was a mess.
anyway, we don't need a slash, it's secure bag drop, but still. i was hoping for a coffee/beer/shot in that old booking office.
 

Donbacsi

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2011
Messages
165
What's wrong with using a beautiful, 30's streamliner graphic? You can dream, can't you? Is it better to use an image of one of those dreadful "modern" German boxes? Remember you will have to look at the images for two weeks.
 

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
What's wrong with using a beautiful, 30's streamliner graphic? You can dream, can't you? Is it better to use an image of one of those dreadful "modern" German boxes? Remember you will have to look at the images for two weeks.
It needs to go on a tee, and should ideally by just one or two colours,
we also need to detail the feat, so you can show that you've been to these places and got a t-shirt to prove it, so we've got to work out how to stick nearly 30 place names on it,
we should use the art deco font though for the title. my chums have all that stuff
 

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
elene was in prague station barely a year ago, and she thought it was a mess.
anyway, we don't need a slash, it's secure bag drop, but still. .

I'm not sure that elene is in the reliable witness class. I don't recognise what she says about Krakow station. She should have gone for a pee on the train.

Remember you will have to look at the images for two weeks.

Don - I can't believe that a man who so fastidious that he insists on washing his smalls in bottled water could contemplate wearing the same t-shirt for fourteen days consecutively. (Correction 16 days)
 
Last edited:

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
latest prototype
gcerc3.jpg

the train would need to be line drawn/traced I would guess, it;s just there to show where you might put some art work .
 

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
Best yet.

So we just need to choose 16 different colours for this to go on and we can wear a different one every day.
 

Donbacsi

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2011
Messages
165
Mark: Your latest T design is bordering on alarmingly tasteful. I was thinking more along the lines of the streamliner bursting out of the "heart" of the T ala the movies "Alien" et.seq.
Glen: I cannot believe the Laird of the Fief intends to wear a T all day long. In addition, I assumed the T's would be rinsed out and festooned on the luggage racks during the over-night sleepers.
Cabal: As well as all the other gear in your rucksacks, do you intend to lug around 16 T's? Also, you DO realize that with 16 colours you will eventually reach "Pink Day"?
 

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
Glen: I cannot believe the Laird of the Fief intends to wear a T all day long.

Certainly not. I shall be dressing for dinner. Velvet smoking jacket in financially successful nations and white dinner jacket for the Club Med duffers. My valet will be carrying the required items of attire.

Also, you DO realize that with 16 colours you will eventually reach "Pink Day"?

Yes. It will be just after Mauve Day and just before Turquoise Day.

Just saw the latest T version. We're definitely getting there. I'm just a little worried about the way the blue is fading as we go forward. We don't want to get mistaken as a bunch of City fans.
 
Last edited:

Donbacsi

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2011
Messages
165
Speaking of dress, where is the Minister of Protocol? Scooter informs me he must give directions to his valet prior to Scooter's arrival at his personal baggage drop at the Georges V in Paris. While a good soak and scrub will be ready with the complete range of Floris Elite products, he must inform his man whether to lay out the white or black tie for the run into London.
 

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
Certainly not. I shall be dressing for dinner. Velvet smoking jacket in financially successful nations and white dinner jacket for the Club Med duffers. My valet will be carrying the required items of attire.



Yes. It will be just after Mauve Day and just before Turquoise Day.

Just saw the latest T version. We're definitely getting there. I'm just a little worried about the way the blue is fading as we go forward. We don't want to get mistaken as a bunch of City fans.
we need to have aqua marine available for Bellibum, you'll be able to selct anything on anything of course.

I think we're going to have to stipulate "minimum 1 smoking jacket" in the kit list.
 

Donbacsi

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2011
Messages
165
Scooter has agreed to wear his highly coveted, sequined and spangled "Liberace" smoking jacket.
 

Donbacsi

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2011
Messages
165
Will there be a special long-sleeved, mock turtle neck, thermal insulated T for the Igloo Hotel?
 

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
We'll never get all of those on one t-shirt. I do have a soft spot for the Hiawathas but am reluctant to vote for something that might require communal singing of Johnny Preston's greatest hit.

PS What did you google to get images like that?
 

Donbacsi

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2011
Messages
165
Well you poor sods, being from America I actually got to ride a couple of those in my youth. In addition, I have ridden in a huge compartment similar to the "dream" one shown. It had the large bed and even a game table and en suite everything. I won't reveal the shameful way in which I got it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Johnny Preston? You are old. And his greatest hit was?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Cabal: Greatest train song of all time? Votes? My vote goes to Arlo Guthrie's "City of New Orleans." I can picture little better than to sit in the club car with a good smoke and a glass as we skirt "Old Man River" the Mighty Mississippi and we hurtle from Chicago to New Orleans.
 

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
I won't reveal the shameful way in which I got it.
Tease.

Johnny Preston? You are old.
No comment.

And his greatest hit was?
Running Bear


Cabal: Greatest train song of all time? Votes? My vote goes to Arlo Guthrie's "City of New Orleans." I can picture little better than to sit in the club car with a good smoke and a glass as we skirt "Old Man River" the Mighty Mississippi and we hurtle from Chicago to New Orleans.

Certainly beats Simon & Garfunkel's "Homeward Bound" but may come second to Lonnie Donnegan's "Rock Island Line".

? 900 miles in 19 hours. Have Amtrak been taken over by Bulgarian State Railways?
 
Last edited:

Donbacsi

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2011
Messages
165
Don't ever put the knock on the City of New Orleans, the song or the train. That song literally brings a tear to every American train freak's eye... literally. Here's a version by Johnny Cash as he actually rides the CoNO, a true piece of Americana in many ways:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2woV2_25SU
And here's my vote for the biggest bummer train song, Joan Baez singing "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" complete with oblique reference to "Sherman's Bowties".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnS9M03F-fA&feature=fvwrel
 

mickpop

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2011
Messages
52
Location
West Cheshire
Tease.

Running Bear

When they throw us off the sleeper in the middle of the night because they have done a 'Jullunder' on us [in-joke strictly for GCIRC participants] it will be more likely a case of 'running bare'.

The mention of smoking jackets brings to mind a trip I did on the line up to Matheran in India years ago. A fellow traveller was dozing next to the open window when a cinder from the steam loco [yes it was a long time ago] which was working hard up the grade, flew through the window and lodged un-noticed between his arm and his body for a while. It started to smoulder until put out with the precious contents of a mineral water bottle causing considerable shock to the stout gentleman in question.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Don't ever put the knock on the City of New Orleans, the song or the train. That song literally brings a tear to every American train freak's eye... literally. Here's a version by Johnny Cash as he actually rides the CoNO, a true piece of Americana in many ways:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2woV2_25SU
And here's my vote for the biggest bummer train song, Joan Baez singing "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" complete with oblique reference to "Sherman's Bowties".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnS9M03F-fA&feature=fvwrel

We Brits are not without our train songs. Not well known but worth listening to is 'The Ballad of John Axon' by Ewan McColl. This was one of his 'radio ballads', an hour long programme made for radio in the late 1950's I think. It mixed documentary, interviews and folk genre songs. It related the story of John Axon, a driver who bravely remained on the footplate of his '8F' 2-8-0 after its brakes failed on the grade down through Chinley in the Peak District. He received the George Cross [posthumously]. There are some good songs on the album.
 

Donbacsi

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2011
Messages
165
It sounds as if they stole that story from the much older tale of Casey Jones (true story). Another hero who died in the cabin.
Anyone who knocks the CoNO between now and the "Great American" 2015 gets to walk from Chicago to New Orleans. You Brits remember that place? Where you got such a warm welcome in 1815. Gee...the 200th anniversary of your vacation in Louisiana! I think that should call for a toast on Bourbon Street!
 

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
We'll never get all of those on one t-shirt. I do have a soft spot for the Hiawathas but am reluctant to vote for something that might require communal singing of Johnny Preston's greatest hit.

PS What did you google to get images like that?
dunno stream line 1930s locotmotive or sommar.
here's another
http://www.dieselpunks.org/profiles/blogs/sunday-streamline-9-milwaukee
oh and another, a ceramic steam train ?
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/05/extravagant-designs-by-luigi-colani.html

can we keep the train songs till later please, or at least wait for a bit as I havent got time to collate all that just yet, so keep them safe, it will be am epic in it's own right.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top