• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Great Circular European Railway Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
WAIT!!! This trek will have women on it??? Scooter is disturbed that he will have to go to the landing to relieve himself. Donbacsi is disturbed he won't be able to hang out his pristinely rinsed whities overnight on the luggage rack.
Mick's better half wont be on this trip I think, he was just saying that he has to come up with fiendish plans to con her into going to remote parts of the railway map,
but we should have several ladies, all infinitely more enjoyable to look at than us 3.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mickpop

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2011
Messages
52
Location
West Cheshire
Mick's better half wont be on this trip I think, he was just saying that he has to come up with fiendish plans to con her into going to remote parts of the railway map,
but we should have several ladies, all infinitely more enjoyable to look at than us 3.

Yes - a 7 day Indrail pass last November when we both suffered a bad attack of the North Indian winter 'bronchials' has satisfied her desire for rail travel for some time to come! In any case the thought of being cooped up together for 15 days would lead to a re-run of 'Murder on the Orient Express' with me as the likely victim - her nickname at work is not 'The Rotweiler' without justification!
 

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
We've still only 4 hours in Dresden anyway, so that's enough time for a proper sausage or two and a more leisurely trip round the old city.

4 hours in a non capital city?

Changing the subject to Norway. I know the plan as it stands takes a flight up to Narvik but if that turns out to be full/cancelled/hideously expensive there is some stuff about the alternative coach trip here.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60650

It doesn't sound too desparate.
 

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
There isnt a late one on Saturdays, but the Sunday one is an extra half an hour later at 19:40 rather than 19:05 mon-fri. I think based on a sunday blast off this wil be a Tuesday.
It looks like it's going to be £43. the starboard windows will be fought over, assuming it flies along the coast.
http://www.wideroe.no/?language=en

I spoke to Ffestiniog' befoe Easter, she said they can do flight booking too. I mailed them the gen too but no-one responded. I'll press them for a quote in September and see if they can sort out the Berlin and Ljubljana hostel too, and perhaps a dorm crash zone in Istanbul.


I've got some work to do on some of these picnic runs. The main ones are Brussels/Copenhagen, where I think we need to ensure good stocks for the next 4 days, and Milan, which is an early-ish (7:30-8:00) window to receive a vital supply drop for the open top carriage over the alps.

Brussels:
Need picnic for train to Amsterdam and then the night train to Copenhagen
Havent a clue how/where to do this in Brussels, but we wont have time in Amsterdam for more than a splash and dash. I think everyone needs to leave Brussels with at least 2 bottles of spirits on them and some wine for the 4 days in Scandinavia.

Copenhagen:
I am hoping Tivoli will have enough options for folks to stock up. There will be some kind of restaurant car on the Trondheim Bodo train I think, but Norwegian train food it's certain to be both bland and expensive.

Trondheim:
07:00-07:40, hopefully there's a mini market and a sandwich bar open. We need to have that worked out though so we know how much to get in Copenhagen.

Narvik
We can now shop in Bodo instead of Narvik, though we can do a quick shop thee too before the train. There is sod all at Boden, on the Swedish side, and then a night train. We still need "typical Lapland picnic" suggestions.

Stockholm
I have a candidate deli, these savory gateaux things are a must.

Berlin-Dresden-Pargue: We can leave off the organised picnics probably for this section as we have enough time in all to actually hang out in restaurants. We still need to work out what we are going to do for each of those, we have a plan for Prague of course.

Budapest: Vital, but Don and Scooter have us covered.

Istanbul: No idea, it's only the night though and you've got all day to pig out on kebabs, we will be getting stocked in Sofia

Sofia: we have people on the ground and one certainty, plus a possible other 2, on the train.

Ljubljana-Trieste-Venice-Rome-Milan: should be able to graze on stuff though the day.

Milan: I still haven't made any progress on a Milanese deli that are prepared to deliver to Milan Station between 7:30 and 8:00 sharp. I'll go kick some of these armani clad mates of mine to see if we can get a bit further on this, This is critical, we have enough tome for a coffee in St Moritz and the rest is all on precision timed Swiss trains with no buffet.

Geneva:We think the supermarket under the station will be open, there will be fast food options, there must be a crepe stand somewhere.

Barcelona-Madrid: enough time to feed at both (we prob have to ditch this trip to the roller coaster though, need to re-look at all that).

Lisbon:We've got a 20 hour ride to Paris to come. There's a fancy supermarket near the station that does meals to go and all kind of alcoholic beverages.

Paris:I want to pop into an offie, prob Nicolas, and get one of their Dunedin label independent bottled whiskeys for the tunnel (to share of course).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
4 hours in a non capital city?

Changing the subject to Norway. I know the plan as it stands takes a flight up to Narvik but if that turns out to be full/cancelled/hideously expensive there is some stuff about the alternative coach trip here.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60650

It doesn't sound too desparate.
sorry, missed that, I'm not getting mail pings. I'll unsubscribe and subscribe again to see if that fixed it.

yes, 4 hours may be too much, so we can either take a later train out of Berlin or/and arrive in Prague with enough time to really hammer the Velk'. I'll go look at bahn.de for the options.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
yes, 4 hours may be too much, so we can either take a later train out of Berlin or/and arrive in Prague with enough time to really hammer the Velk'. I'll go look at bahn.de for the options.
it's of course a direct non-stop train taking 4:40 hours

so we could just ditch Dresden and leave at 10:45 and be in Prague for half past 3. Leaving 8 1/2 hours in Prague after spending 11 hours (most of it asleep) in Berlin, which just seems a bit too jolly. But it means those of us who feel up to a 2:30 in the morning session in Berlin (we don't get in till 11:10 pm of course) can do that and still have a chance of making both breakfast and the train the following day, and we can do a decent bit of tramming in Prague, and do the pub and the clock etc without having to be on the ball the whole time.
Anyone who ends up overdoing Berlin could just get a later train to Prague.

I've tried working out a way via poland but it just works out as futile as trying to do the steam train at Dresden.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
that berlin prague train isnt non stop, it halts at dresden, bad schandau, then several stops in czech. it also runs along the elbe which I hadnt realised, so it goes though, or at least close to, saxon-swtzerland.
our german rep agrees that ditching Dresden when you've got Berlin and Prague at either end is a no brainer. we will prob be a bit knackered anyway after the run back down from narvik. 5 trains in 36 hours with just a few hours off at stockholm.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Re: Milan.
I finally got a response from the Armani Army. We might even be looking at a Michelin star picnic!, but we'll certainly have nosh worthy of this culinary giant of a country.
 
Last edited:

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
Is it this place by any chance?

http://www.peck.it/
yes I think it might be, I spoke to Matteo on the phone last night, he sad he'd mail me but peck rings a bell.
Anyway, we have a man on the ground now
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was just going through the dates on the route page and fixing for a sunday 7th july blast off.

several day related issues re supplies

day 1, sunday july 7th
the main thing to get in brussels is enough booze to get us at least to the arctic circle. if we've drunk it all by then we'll need 36 hours off the sauce before we get to berlin. but you'll also need some kind of supper for amsterdam-copenhagen. I dont mind leaving the food suplplies to the individual, it's only day 1, we're hoping for a full monty breakfast at St Panc, I spoke to the current manager at the John Betjamin and he said it's doable even for a sunday (fyi, the origin of the term full monty is from a greasy spoon in Oldham). But we need to work out where there's a decent supermarket that we can get the fluids onboard, and decide how much is a reasonable amount to carry. Didnt we work out you can only bring a bottle and a half into Norway anyway before getting stung ?.

day 2, monday, copenhagen, we need a genuine plan for food supplies up to Bodo, so 36 hours worth. We've enough time for free play round the stalls of Tivoli for lunch, but then it'll be afternoon,evening.night,morning and another afternoon on the roll before we can free play in Bodo for a few hours. I want to sort out a one stop solution for that, and all these important picnic stops, and then it can be
a) discussed as to what we actually are going to buy
b) budgeted for, it may need pre-paying for anyway.
c) saves endless hassle and time


I checked the sunset stuff again, it's 24 hour sunrise still in Narvik for another 10 days.

BUDAPEST
is a Saturday, i.e. early closing at the market, i think we already knew that, but we really need Scooter to come through on this. I'll go mail his man servant, The market shuts at 13:00, we dont get in till 12:30. Even if we shopped ourselves for the picnic elsewhere, which would be fun but painfully time consuming, we'd then have to cart it round the city, it will all get squashed and sweaty.

I was starting to yield on the children's railway, but it's a weekend, we could get the steam train. But we really could do with someone who knows the place like the back of their hand if we are going to perform some local transport feat. I'll go look at the departure times again for the children's railway. Ideally we get that out of the way asap and then do the castle if we've time. I think we've been through all this.


The only other day related point is Lisbon being a Sunday. I think we've checked that this Portuguese waitrose place is open so we are sorted on food for the last overnight leg and that can be left to the individual. The main attraction is this Belem monastery place which you do by just getting off on the way back from Cascais. So Sunday should mean a few more bells being rung round there and plenty of nuns on duty.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If we are leaving Berlin at half 10, and not getting off till half three, then it's another posh picnic opportunity.
This place is certainly posh
http://www.splendid-delikatessen.de/
there's a Kaisers in the station, I gather that's an upper end supermarket. I've asked our German member for opinions.

I've also started asking swedish people, Urban Deli looks great but worth asking around for other options.

Does anyone know anything about quantity surveying for picnics ?
 
Last edited:

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
Nogland Duty Free rules

One litre of an alcoholic beverage containing more than 22% and up to 60% alcohol by volume and one and a half litres containing more than 2.5% up to 22% alcohol by volume, or three litres of beverages containing more than 2.5% and up to 22% alcohol by volume
Two litres of beer containing more than 2.5% alcohol by volume, or other beverage containing more than 2.5% and up to 4.7% alcohol by volume. This means, for example, that you can import five litres of beer if you do not have other alcoholic beverages with you
200 cigarettes or 250 grams of other tobacco products, and
200 sheets of cigarette papers

from

http://toll.no/templates_TAD/Article.aspx?id=195294&epslanguage=en
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There's a bit about the Amsterdam-Copenhagen trip on this thread.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63615

Apparently no bar so we need to factor that in to the Bruxelles/Amsterdam provisioning plan.
 

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
Nogland Duty Free rules

One litre of an alcoholic beverage containing more than 22% and up to 60% alcohol by volume and one and a half litres containing more than 2.5% up to 22% alcohol by volume, or three litres of beverages containing more than 2.5% and up to 22% alcohol by volume
Two litres of beer containing more than 2.5% alcohol by volume, or other beverage containing more than 2.5% and up to 4.7% alcohol by volume. This means, for example, that you can import five litres of beer if you do not have other alcoholic beverages with you
200 cigarettes or 250 grams of other tobacco products, and
200 sheets of cigarette papers

from

http://toll.no/templates_TAD/Article.aspx?id=195294&epslanguage=en
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There's a bit about the Amsterdam-Copenhagen trip on this thread.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63615

Apparently no bar so we need to factor that in to the Bruxelles/Amsterdam provisioning plan.
so we are each going to have to load up with at least a bottle of hard stuff and possibly two bottles of plonk, or fortified wine. It's 4 days, we are certain to be dry by the time we get to Stockholm.
We'll also get some Dutch gin in for the evening toast which we'll burn up before we leave Gothernburg.

No buffet car then, that's harsh, though he mentions a kiosk. We should at least get enough bread and something to put on it while in Brussels. And of course a few boxes of chocolates!.
 
Last edited:

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
Again...how does one post or reply to a private message on this POS system?

Don

If you click on Quick Links at the top right of the page the drop down gives a PM option.

EDIT - Click on the PM Option in Quick Links then look at the menus on the left hand side of the screen. There's one that lets you send a PM.
 

Donbacsi

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2011
Messages
165
Glen:
Doesn't work. Just keeps giving me the large sign-in page, over and over. It won't let me use any of the options in that drop-down.
 

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
if we get to Bucharest on sched then we should have time to check these out, mittei romanian sausages. I am sure Don is going to contest the origin of these, most of what's good in Romania comes from some guys to the north ;). Anyway, when they are good they are very good, and this guy has somewhere walkable. i looked it up and it's about 300m from the exit of the station.
the best mittiei are in Piata Matache, about 5 mins walk from Gara de Nord - Leave the station by the main entrance - walk along the left side of the Park in front of the Ministry of Transport - You'll find a short street on your left between two apartment blocks. walk along the street until you hit the school wall, turn right and then left and then right to enter the market. There is a small outside cafe with yellow Bergenbier signs and umbrellas outside. You will find good mittiei, vin fiert or draft beer as you wish. Also sausages, chicken, macarel and whitebait. Even during the recent heavy snow, they were serving good food. All food is cooked on a charcoal barbeque.
I have located these chaps in Denmark, which are certainly fancy enough to get rid of £20 each.
http://www.meyersdeli.dk/da/webshop/picnic.html
but they are over by the theatre, we need someone by the station if we are going to collect a series of massive boxes and bags full of stuff so we can just collect and board.
I'm not proposing picnic boxes exactly, usually raw materials to make sarnies with and various supplies such as fruit. But the Danes do this deal on open topped sandwiches, this place would have been ideal
http://www.copenhagenbakery.com/catering.html
we should get at least a couple of platters of those
 

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
Does anyone know anything about quantity surveying for picnics ?

Will there be any food faddists? Or even genuine allergic types?
This would complicate matters somewhat. Perhaps everybody should sign in blood before departure that they are quite happy to eat food containing garlic.

I declare here and now that I really don't like pilchards in tomato sauce.


http://www.copenhagenbakery.com/catering.html
we should get at least a couple of platters of those

These look very nice but how are we going to get them delivered from Burlingame CA?
 
Last edited:

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
Will there be any food faddists? Or even genuine allergic types?
This would complicate matters somewhat. Perhaps everybody should sign in blood before departure that they are quite happy to eat food containing garlic.

I declare here and now that I really don't like pilchards in tomato sauce.

These look very nice but how are we going to get them delivered from Burlingame CA?
yeah, shame that, they'll be a bit smelly by the time they get off the plane.

one of the reasons for going into such insane detail that you wouldnt have to do if if you were on your Jack Jones is precisely to ensure we've got people catered for. If Bellybum makes it for instance, one of our elegant ladies, then we'll need veg stuff, but we'll have veggie options anyway.
if there's an outcry about pickled herring then I'll scale down how much of that kind of stuff we load up with.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

And the price is....
According to Ruth at Ffestniog
£970!,
not including the flight which we think will be about £40-£50 tops.
Which is pretty damn good, I cant remember what we came up wit, where's that spread sheet .......

There are 3 overnighters
Narvik
http://www.narvikcamping.com/d4WATxdfU5a.14.idium
Berlin
http://www.aohostels.com/en/berlin/hostel-hauptbahnhof/hostel/info/
Ljubljana
http://www.hostelcelica.com/index.php

and may be a dorm room as a base in Istanbul. £100 per head will cover those. The chalets at Narvik are a few quid but the two hostels are cheap as chips and I am thinking of the Istanbul dorm as a glorified bag drop.

I guess there's some metro fares to add up, though I'm going right off the extensive tram ordeal stuff. A bit as part of a sightseeing expo , e.g. to the Colosseum or Little Mermaid fair enough.

Either way, 50 quid a day spends on sarnies and beer gets us round for under 2 grand with a series of gourmet picnics to boot.
 
Last edited:

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
And the price is....
According to Ruth at Ffestniog
£970!,
not including the flight which we think will be about £40-£50 tops.
Which is pretty damn good, I cant remember what we came up wit, where's that spread sheet

Does that include the Eurostar trips plus on to Amsterdam that we couldn't fit into the pass?
 

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
she has quoted on a 22 day, a 15 day saves 70 quid which is more than you got off the Amsterdam-copenhagen trip, I reckon and you get next to nowt off the eurostar and thalys.
but i didnt want to hassle her about that.

oh and yes it's pick, see fb.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Again...how does one post or reply to a private message on this POS system?
Don,

Give me a sign. Are you

Q1. genuinely serious about helping a bunch of complete strangers acquire Hungary's entry into what is now turning into a posh picnic tour of Europe.

a) no, I love you guys, but not that much (e.g. you wont be in Budapest at that time)

b) yes, what do you think I am ?, some crazy bloke who will spend 2 years on the internet so worked up about the whole trip that they seem to be on the verge of detonation, then disappear mysteriously with seconds to go ?.

Q2. also want to come on

a) all

b) some

c) none

of the trip itself.


Seriously man, as you'll see from Q1 solution a), if you look in the discussion thread for the last one, we had quite a character. In the end, all of his suggestions, his connections, his promises, and indeed any commitment to do anything at all, turned to dust. Now I know you arent barking mad as it turned out this guy actually was, but I need to move onto the next phase of planning, and if we're dealing with individuals rather than de-hassling everything and just paying someone, I need some commitment on delivery of service..

I'm moving more towards focusing on posh picnics and toning down some of the city tours a bit. We'll be taking bread knives and boards etc so we can construct the sandwiches to order when we are back on the train. In some places e.g. Copenhagen and Stockholm, we will be getting pre-prepared things like smorgastrata or a platter of these danish open faced sandwiches. In Italy we'll be getting desserts worth committing murder for, etc.

So for everywhere else now, including Milan, we have or will have one or perhaps two vendors who I'll have a shopping list for, obviously for prepared food they'll need advance warning anyway. I've still got to go into real detail for the contents for any of these though apart from Budapest. I am budgeting for £50 a day for food and metro fares, i.e £750 for running costs over and above the trains and hotels. I'm sure we'll murder that. For instance, as Budapest's budget would effectively include Romania's, in theory you've got over $100 a head to spend, how good can you make a say $1,500 Hungarian picnic look ?.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just looking at the tram timetables for Oslo, it's not feasible to get off a train at 21:45, go to the Nobel center and back, and be sure of getting the 23:05 out, especially with it being a sleeper.
The glitzy new station still has a nice yellow facade, that's the best we can do for a picture.
There is a bit of water, the gulf of oslo I guess it's called, over a dual carriage way, I think at one point I was claiming I was going to dip my toe in any significant waterways or seas.
 

mickpop

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2011
Messages
52
Location
West Cheshire
Will there be any food faddists? Or even genuine allergic types?
This would complicate matters somewhat. Perhaps everybody should sign in blood before departure that they are quite happy to eat food containing garlic.

I declare here and now that I really don't like pilchards in tomato sauce.

Having been to North Korea and China i think I have tasted everything. A nice hot dog or German Shepherds Pie would go down well although I might have the Shih Tzus later.:)

Not too keen on beetroot though so hold the borsch.
 

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
Having been to North Korea and China i think I have tasted everything. A nice hot dog or German Shepherds Pie would go down well although I might have the Shih Tzus later.:)

When i still had to work for a living I recall having to deal with an enquiry from a guy in Korea who wanted to operate Toby Carveries there. We spent a lot of time idling speculating about the likely menu.
 

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
i'm looking into copenhagen, where's that sketch we did of a loop via the mermaid and the river bus ?. I cannae find any timetable stuff for the boat, we can et an S-Bahn C to osterport, walk round to the mermaid, then catch a boat back, and we are near enough to walk via Tivoli. . "Simple"as the man said.
The trains leave every few mins and take 6 mins, so on a 10:45 arrival we should be at the boat between 11:30 and 12:00 (including bags in lockers and buying tickets).

We than walk back from the library to tivoli. I'm hoping this Nimb place, slap bang outside the station, will have a fancy pants deli in there by the time we arrive.
http://www.tivoli.dk/composite-5567.htm
 

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
i'm looking into copenhagen, where's that sketch we did of a loop via the mermaid and the river bus ?.


This is the relevant e-mail stuff from December


yeah sorry, cut and paste.
the 11a is the tourist bus, it's worth getting.
http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/kort/trafikkort/Pages/Hovedstadsomraadet.aspx




Sent: Tuesday, 13 December 2011, 8:30
Subject: Re: copenhagen route

We could make it even quicker by getting an S tog from Central Station to Osterport. They take 6 minutes and run every few minutes.

For some reason the link you added takes me straight to GCIRC.



Sent: Tuesday, 13 December 2011, 8:13
Subject: copenhagen route

I make it something like this, we should post this or similar as a plan and ask for comments. I am assuming we can get all the stuff in the station area after the sight seeing trip. There's shed loads of superb bakeries which of course are a star attraction , I'd prefer a proper one than a tesco, the locals are certain to have opinions on what's th best pastry in town.

11A to St Strandstraede, just after the loop Nyhaven
then a 1A up to Osterport
then walk round the Kastellet, past the lille havrue
then get the boat back to the library, or perhaps one stop early at Knippelsbro
then a 2A back to the station.

I doubt that would take much longer than an hour flat out. We've 3 hours 45 mins, it's worth dumping the bags at the station.



http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/kort/trafikkort/Documents/Hovedstadsomraadet/ByensNetCity.pdf
 

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
right, so do we need a ticket for the S-tog one wonders. I guess not, it's the suburban network I presume.

I found the route planner, well, i had it, but of course that boat isnt the quickest way even if it's leaving right now to get from the fort to the library, so you have to say you're just going to the opera hous which is across the river.

Anyway, boat bus 991 leaves at 11:40 and 12:10. could get a 66 at the other end back to the station, but that would be a pain with bags, we could take them easily on the s-tog and the boat. As we dont need to get an s-bahn ticket we can be in Osterport for 11, so 11:40 boat is easy, and we're getting on at the terminus. So we'd be at the library for 12:00, leaving 100 minutes to walk 1km , have a fast food tivoli gardens luncheon and do the picnic shop.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
oh the joys of google street view.
walking round that fort isnt going to be much fun.

I dont know what to suggest, we can get a bus 66 to bibliotek, the boat up to nyhavn, walk up that which is nice, do the supplies at Meyers at Magasin du Nord, then back to the station.
Doing that with 2 people even with bags is fine, doing it with 15 with or without rucksacks is going to be a farce. if anyone misses the boat bus they could just sit on the 66, get off a bit later and walk (on that island at the christansborg slotskirke)

Anyway, Meyers seems to be our one stop picnic option, thee's no food hall or any other such thing in copenhagen, it seems to be netto or other aldi like supermarkets, or harrods. so it's meet up there if you want to take part in any food selecting, then back to the station. We should leave there before 1pm.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What were the bounding conditions that have left us with a Sunday departure (which I like) but results in Saturday in Budapest ?, which has problems.
That Geneva-Barcelona night train doesnt run on Friday, which is what a Saturday dep from London would result in, What happens if we leave Thursday ?.
Another option might be to try and use up a day after Budapest, So leave Saturday from London, arrive Friday Budapest. That would mean Sunday in Copenhagen, so we'd need to check that Meyer's is open .... ah
Sunday :11.00-16 .30 (only first and last Sunday of each month)
it would be Sunday 7th July, so that would work.

we then need to lose another day in the Balkans or the Alps. There's all kinds of stuff we could do in Switzerland bu it wold mean skiving off in a hotel again. Or may be kip in france and work out a way to do this blue line.

I'm looking at Budapest travel agents, I'm sure we can get someone to do the shop for us if need be, but if we could do it ourselves in the market, just split up the shopping list into food types and everyone goes off in pairs, it would be an activity. But we'd need to take the pressure off by cutting the tour down.
Much though I regret this, I think the children's is just too much. Better take our time at the station on arrival depositing bags and having a standing lunch, then do the castle and return via line 1 and have several hours in the market to get the nosh and also have a sit down upstairs as people feel the desire.

I guess this is the only effective way to do Copenhagen too. Just give everyone a task, i.e a food stuff to acquire and instructions on where to get it and what precisely to get, and the get everyone to disperse.
 
Last edited:

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
Or may be kip in france and work out a way to do this blue line

Blue line? What's that?

How about an extended stay (i.e. overnight) in Istanbul. By all accounts there's loads to do there.
 

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
well, that has the advantage that if we bugger up in Bucharest we still make it round and not have to go on the cab convoy from hell across to sofia.
We'll need a proper base sorting out then.
 

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
OK, I'm sold on the idea of a rooftop bbq at the metropolis. it also sorts out any bag drop half day stuff I would have had to try and wangle.
We'll be thee before check in but as we are booked I'm sure they will let us dump the bags and/or just hjang out there, and also leave them for the afternoon the day after.

the booking of that will be slightly messy, they've got loads of different sized rooms. .but once we've sorted out who's hot to trot and who's not with the narvik chalet booking we can work that out. some guys may even chose elsewhere, some wil want their own room etc.
to some extent we'll need to sort that out for the other stops as well anyway.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I dont know why I bother with virtualtourist.
I have now found that there is a posh bakery near the station called lagkagehuset, and right next to the main tivoli entrance on the other side of the road from the bakery is an Irma, which is an organic up-market super market chain that includes stuff like venison with coriander salami in it's deli counter, which will be posh enough for most if us. so we can get all the picnic stuff in there and have biodegradable packaging to boot.
oh, we land at 10:02, dunno where I got 10:45 from. Anyway, meet up outside Tivoli entrance (we'll all have phones) at something like 12:45ish if you are on procurement duty, train leaves at 13:45, but the point is it can be done within a zebra crossing or two from the front door of the station.
 
Last edited:

Donbacsi

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2011
Messages
165
I'm still trying to make the GD POS private message thing work and and seriously sick and tired of being given the run around. I do want to contact you but not in public. There are issues. However, it would be insane to hire a travel agent in Budapest to do your shopping while you ride the rails, or worse yet, cut back on your Budapest urban milage to shop. You haven't even seen ABURP #2 as yet.
 

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
Don, we're rescheduling to a Friday, and prob cutting out the children's railway so we can spend a whole lot of time in the market.
we've still to make a listing of what goes into the basket. Indeed I need to find out how many grams of bread and stuff one should have per person for a 36 hour run.
We've 3 of these critical ones to sort out, Copenhagen, Budapest and Milan. I have a plan now for all 3, I just dont know how much food to buy, or precisely what meats and cheeses to get.
I think it's going to be 500g bread, and same again for stuff to put on it, 200g cake or similar, and 4 items of fruit, Plus salads, butter and condiments.That's going to be about 1,75 kg per head.
And then there's the hooch.
 

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
I'm still trying to make the GD POS private message thing work and and seriously sick and tired of being given the run around.

Don

I'm assuming that you didn't get the PM I sent you on this forum a couple of days ago.

Does VT have a PM system?
 

Donbacsi

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2011
Messages
165
Glen: What is "VT"?
Re: Food. What's all about grams? Speak English. I am assuming 500 grams is about 1.1 lbs, which is terms of bread still doesn't mean much to me. I believe I previously discussed the sandwich sized (Americn sized) flat bottomed round loaves of flakey crusted bread you will find in B-pest. These will easily keep for two days which should get you to Turkey. After you leave Hungary you will find the bread still looks like bread in Romania but has no taste and is probably made out of sawdust. After that you will be deep in the Balkans and will find that flat, tough, bland bread with no crust. Bleah.
Condiments (mustard, mayo, ketchup) are the standard Unilever tubes you find in UK. In addition I would get at least one jar of edes(mild. sweet) or eros(strong, spicey) paprika spread or you can get it in the tubes, for when you find yourselves in the land of flat bread, goat cheese and olives. This assumes you will still want a spicey sandwich after the ring stinger sausages.
You should get several various jars of Kecskemet or Szatmari jams and jellies to see you through to Italy. Even on the flat bread it will make breakfast tolerable.
Afew pounds of fresh tomatoes and some jars of pickles will top off your sandwiches and avoid scurvey on your way to Turkey.
 

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
ta, I'll put all the suggestions onto my budapest page whch I just started
http://gcerc.wordpress.com/food/budapest/
this page, and the other shopping lists, will obviously get edited until the day we leave.
I currently have an estimate of 2.5Kgs per head for a 36 hour train run, not including any chocolates and stuff, which is 5 1/2 pounds in imperial. I havent a clue if thats way too much, but we'll want to over buy, doing it like this is going to be way way cheaper than eating any other way.

here's my first estimate. anyone know a caterer or nutritionist ?

500g bread
500g meats & cheeses
200g nibbles (e.g. olives, pickled watermelon etc)
500g salad, cucumbers and tomatoes and whatever else is going
200g cake or similar
4 pieces or 500g fruit
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top