• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Great Britain XV- 15th April

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiNi

Member
Joined
22 Sep 2019
Messages
532
Location
Sherborne
.... When you say "shadow" you mean uncoupled and separate and as the 0Z13 allocation suggests.

When I photographed the GBXV (hauled by 'Duchess of Sutherland') last year when running through Somerset, the WCR support Class47 802 was 'shadowing' the train independently running about 5-10* minutes behind - *I would have to dig out my original RAW images to check the metadata accurate times.

I was about to leave my location and was surprised by the sudden appearance of the WCR Class47 running light.

Back then I wasn't aware of RealTime Trains and NR path timetables to be able to refer to them.
It should be 47802 tomorrow aswell.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robin Procter

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2023
Messages
154
Location
Dorset
Yes, if its timed in a separate class 0 schedule it will be running light engine as a separate train.
WCRC like to do this for the Great Britain in particular but also do it for other tours like ones involving Tornado if they can make it work.
Very occasionally charter TOCs will ask or be asked by NR to run the diesel light either behind or (very rarely) in front for Operational reasons.
.... I watched a YouTube video a few months ago which was a steam loco hauling a Special slipping and grinding to a halt on one of the steep climbs in Devon. The support diesel was shadowing quite far back as a light engine and there was substantial delay for it to catch up and help by pushing as a 'banker' (a term from my youth at The Lickey Incline which may still be in use).
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,629
Location
Northampton
.... I watched a YouTube video a few months ago which was a steam loco hauling a Special slipping and grinding to a halt on one of the steep climbs in Devon. The support diesel was shadowing quite far back as a light engine and there was substantial delay for it to catch up and help by pushing as a 'banker' (a term from my youth at The Lickey Incline which may still be in use).
Yes, far more common for the diesel to be attached on the back so that the diesel can assist before declaring a failure. Worst-case scenario is that a local passenger unit ends up between the charter and the shadowing diesel (it's happened before). The South Devon Banks can be a proper nightmare at times.
AFAIK the only place where detached assistance is regularly carried out is Victoria, with the 67 pushing the VSOE up the hill before stopping and returning to Stewart's Lane. Lickey still has bankers, but they do couple up (they have a special coupling that can be released from the cab on the move). Steam being banked up the Lickey would have the diesel attached from the start and would run non-stop through Bromsgrove if possible.

I've known NR to ask fo the diesel to run light behind when WCRC asked it to be attached on at least one occasion, but that was a particular set of circumstances. I've also known of DB bidding for a light loco to follow a train into a station for a quick reversal, but instead they had to run the light loco early and sit in a loop until the Charter arrived. Most of the time NR will work to what the TOC bids in respect of the diesel being attached or shadowing behind.
 

petesheep

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2023
Messages
5
Location
Dawlish, Devon
According to the schedules for 1Z13 and 0Z13, the diesel precedes 44932 Plymouth to Totnes, follows Totnes to Exeter, precedes Exeter to Taunton and follows again Taunton to Bristol. Hope that 44932 can get up Hemerdon without assistance.
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,629
Location
Northampton
@Robin Procter and @petesheep, many apologies to you both, I'd missed that you'd only just joined yesterday! Welcome, and sorry for being a little short on the technical side at times.

According to the schedules for 1Z13 and 0Z13, the diesel precedes 44932 Plymouth to Totnes, follows Totnes to Exeter, precedes Exeter to Taunton and follows again Taunton to Bristol. Hope that 44932 can get up Hemerdon without assistance.
I believe they've used this plan for a few years now, by and large it just needs tweaking so it speeds up the planning process.
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
How many passengers are likely to be aboard this lengthy tour?

It must have a market as it's unusual for it to be cancelled.

Would be nice if they showed a bit more imagination and had it operate on some less frequented branch lines (push-pull if stub termini) but perhaps allocating a train path is difficult or impossible due to existing revenue services and lack of crossing loops on many minor lines?
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,629
Location
Northampton
How many passengers are likely to be aboard this lengthy tour?

It must have a market as it's unusual for it to be cancelled.
I think a lot of people do one or two days, although it's not unknown to do the whole thing (about 12 days)
Would be nice if they showed a bit more imagination and had it operate on some less frequented branch lines (push-pull if stub termini) but perhaps allocating a train path is difficult or impossible due to existing revenue services and lack of crossing loops on many minor lines?
The whole point of th Great Britain is to get lots of good speed running with as little diesel assistance as possible. Going down odd branch lines would add lots of time on to the tour which means dropping out other parts of the itinerary.
 

petesheep

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2023
Messages
5
Location
Dawlish, Devon
.... Thank you but I didn't find your manner a little short at all - I have found your posts very informative. :)
Same here, I certainly didn't take any offence. Incidentally, the shadowing diesel in the end ran in the main train for the Plymouth to Bristol leg and the 0Z13 path was unused and cancelled.
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,629
Location
Northampton
.... Thank you but I didn't find your manner a little short at all - I have found your posts very informative. :)
Same here, I certainly didn't take any offence. Incidentally, the shadowing diesel in the end ran in the main train for the Plymouth to Bristol leg and the 0Z13 path was unused and cancelled.
Glad to hear you didn't take offence! Do ask if you have any questions - I have some professional experience with railtours (and have been involved in a Great Britain) although it's been a few since I was involved so I can't guarantee the accuracy of my answers for specific operations.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top