• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Future of this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferret

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2009
Messages
4,131
I've noticed a slight increase in trolling in recent months, so I'm glad others have mentioned it.

As for the staff v know-it-all enthusiasts thing, well, it's not just that. I've been pretty critical of that FCC driver (as staff myself) based on how we do things where I work - passcom activation when leaving a station is a straight forward stop and find out why, no exceptions. I'm surprised that other TOCs don't seem to have the same policy and it seems so were the RAIB! I reckon this puts me at odds with some drivers on this forum, who may think I'm a know-all Guard but I can live with that!

I think sometimes the forum mods could be a tad quicker to stamp on somebody who is clearly saying things for effect just to provoke an argument, but I don't think this place is reaching the kind of crisis point like what happened on wnxx which was a shame to see.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
I have only been a member of this forum since October 2012 and in that time there has been a decline of standards and quality of threads and debates. It has accelerated in the last few months.

You mean October 2010. October 2012 hasn't even come yet ;)

It now seems that this forum has become a haven for trolls, the malcontents the jealous,the bitter, the angry, the failures, and the never will bes but worse of all it appears to have become a bastion of the know it all spotter.

It's something that's seemingly been building up for a few months, to the point that even highly-established members have been accused of it (invariably by far more recent and lesser-known members I should add). That said however, the forum has dealt with it well thus far.

At this juncture I would like to suggest again that the moderation team should include a member of operational railstaff to give greater depth of understanding and to help guide the response of the mods/admins in the event of a post relating to operational matters being reported, especially as some of the exchanges between members of operational railstaff and others do seem to get adversarial. It's just like having former F1 drivers on the panel of stewards at all Grands Prix.

Another vote in agreement with this.

P.S.: That F1 line was my idea! Give it back!!!!! :lol:

I too, find the way in which some matters are treated to be hightly irritating. Perhaps for different reasons, but I recognise the posting style in which someone states something with absolute certainty while only having 'heard it', 'read it on another forum', 'in a magazine' or dreamt it, but certainly never carried the responsibility for doing it; and the utterly pointless and clearly uninformed attacks on professionals.Now that really is a sensible proposal!

I have found it difficult on occasion to agree with you of late Dave, with the notable exception of one certain incident involving a certain close friend of mine on here whom you have been very helpful towards (you should know what I am referring to; the word "Warrington" should help if not), but this is most certainly one I cannot disagree with you on. I remember making such a thread late last year - and I was very careful to emphasise that it had come about through a dream. I never post material without something to back it up, or otherwise make it very clear that it is a personal idea, and I wish others would follow that lead. Indeed, that may even bring fantasy threads back to realistic levels again, which would make them enjoyable once more. By this I do of course mean something like "Huddersfield to London OAO" against "Lostwithiel Parkway" or "Leighton Buzzard Metro" (two examples that have not been suggested to my knowledge, hence their choice).

Even I have to admit I fall under this category [that mentioned by DarloRich above]

Admitting it is the first step to doing something about it. That's a good start - and I have noticed that you seem a much better person to talk to on here ever since you returned from suspension.

The current draft of the new rules does help to clarify this, but really if you think a post is inappropriate then report it. So long as you explain in the report what your concerns are, then they will be read by the moderators and acted on if appropriate. All the reports from a particular thread are grouped together for them so you're not "filling up someones inbox" and if there are lots of members concerned about a post or thread this also becomes clear.

Indeed. Still a work in progress, but I would like to publically thank the staff for giving us the opportunity to play our part in bringing about these changes in ways that we approve of and agree on (apart from signatures ;)). You guys are an excellent unit.

Oh, i missed out to say that the forum certainly isnt in decline, if anything its the opposite. There is no problems with the current staff either as they do a good job, but i do agree with what O L Leigh has said by having a member(s) of railstaff on the moderating team.

I have already stated an agreement with regards to O L Leigh's point, but this is also true. The only problem is, how can we realistically tell how many members of staff are needed in relaiton to member and posting volumes? Will introducing a 10th member really be the best way to go about it? And if so, which person should be elected (I think I know whom I personally would choose among the railstaff on here, but it's not my decision obviously).

As for the staff v know-it-all enthusiasts thing, well, it's not just that. I've been pretty critical of that FCC driver (as staff myself) based on how we do things where I work - passcom activation when leaving a station is a straight forward stop and find out why, no exceptions. I'm surprised that other TOCs don't seem to have the same policy and it seems so were the RAIB! I reckon this puts me at odds with some drivers on this forum, who may think I'm a know-all Guard but I can live with that!

One problem I've noticed is that a select few enthusiast types certainly match this very well - but their persistence, combined with the odd troll, has resulted in this becoming a stereotypical argument. I for one always accept staff opinion where it is in relation to something they clearly know about and things would be far simpler if others could have a similar attitude. Staff and enthusiasts on here should work together to improve that relationship, not damage it.

I think sometimes the forum mods could be a tad quicker to stamp on somebody who is clearly saying things for effect just to provoke an argument, but I don't think this place is reaching the kind of crisis point like what happened on wnxx which was a shame to see.

Hopefully the notion of an extra member of staff will assist to address that!

Whatever happens, change is imminent, and has been for a while. The regulars among us have to work with the staff to ensure that said change is not only simple and effective, but peaceful as well. And I'm sure that's something everyone agrees on.
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,562
Location
Somewhere
To be honest I am not sure what or how much benefit it would bring to have a mod specifically recruited who is rail staff.

Its works in F1 as the drivers steward is there specifically to offer the insights of the driver and explain their actions, given the vast majority of different roles and jobs on the railway, can anyone explain how this would work?
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
To be honest I am not sure what or how much benefit it would bring to have a mod specifically recruited who is rail staff.

Its works in F1 as the drivers steward is there specifically to offer the insights of the driver and explain their actions, given the vast majority of different roles and jobs on the railway, can anyone explain how this would work?

Is there such a thing as "Jack of all trades" in the railway?
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,061
Location
Reston City Centre
To be honest I am not sure what or how much benefit it would bring to have a mod specifically recruited who is rail staff.

Its works in F1 as the drivers steward is there specifically to offer the insights of the driver and explain their actions, given the vast majority of different roles and jobs on the railway, can anyone explain how this would work?

Without wanting to upset the OP, I'm not sure that this would really make that much difference - as you say the breadth of roles/ experience (as well as geographic differences etc and rivalries between staff areas) mean that nobody is going to know much outside their specific area. It'd be more of a "box ticking" quota thing.

If there are posters making direct accusations about staff behaviour (e.g. being unsafe) then I'd expect any Mod to clamp down on it, regardless of whether that Mod works in the industry or not.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,587
Location
LBK
Interesting thread here.

I'll give you a classic "s**t sandwich", for want of a better phrase.

RailUK is my place of choice for rail-related discussion. There are plenty of other forums I could frequent, and I choose to look here instead. There's a plethora of knowledge on here - fascinating threads such as the one about hotels with private sidings, or finding out about the Chinese high speed rail network, or about the woman kicked off a train for having a rather "adult" telephone conversation. ;)

I have been around here for long enough to know whose opinions I can value - and whose I can't!

The best thing about this forum, and what I take most away from it, is legitimate criticism of the railway industry in how it conducts its business. One of the best, and simplest ticketing ideas I've seen actually came from a layperson on this forum who was able to see a problem with different eyes to everyone else - and certainly a suggestion so simple it's surprising I hadn't heard it before.

Like Yorkie and Max say - if they don't know about a problem, in that it's not reported to them, then they are unable to fix it. The same principle applies to the railway industry. People can post here with the benefit of anonymity and impunity and we therefore must support freedom of speech and expression. I have absolutely no problem with legitimate criticism.

What a growing proportion of posters appear to forget is that most of us who work in the industry have chosen to do so because we love the railway and want to see it flourish. We don't like to read about nasty passenger experiences at all - and sometimes the staff posters on here can get defensive. What I also don't like to read are posts by people with little to no experience of the operational railway making sweeping statements about those who work on it.

I'm forever reading utter drivel on here - the "signal to noise ratio" is considerably less favourable in recent months. On a daily basis I read about criticism which is utterly unfounded. One of the worst assumptions is that people who work for (and manage) TOCs are always out to screw the passenger over and make a fast buck. Unfortunately this is then made public for all to see - and when rail staff try to rebut the criticism with the correct information, the criticism often escalates. This is incredibly frustrating. I for one am glad I do not work in a safety critical role as I'm sure I would have snapped long ago.

Fewer and fewer of my own personal posts are now replied to - so either what I say is always absolutely correct and inarguable (not the case I'm sure), or fewer posters simply don't care much for reasoned argument. I fear it is the latter - and I am not alone, and it stifles discussion. I don't ever post with the intention of killing a conversation, in fact I'd love it if we were able to have an intelligent debate. This seems to be thin on the ground of late.

I don't see this primarily as a moderation problem. If anything the forum is over-moderated. I fully support anyone's right to say what they like, be it ill-informed, misguided or simply untruthful. I don't consider that I have been personally abused - if that was the case I would report the abuse and not dignify the abuse with a response.

No, the problem as I see it is a declining quality of debate and discussion. That, you cannot moderate. I'm more than a little tired of seeing the same posters with their tired Internet Warrior agendas. These people, as a rule, are generally not in paid work themselves, and lack life experience, problem solving skills and common sense, to put it bluntly. It's all to easy to suggest ignoring these people, but it does grind you down after a while.

I find myself growing tired and cynical recently - and that's the last thing I'd want to happen.

Taking the above into account, I've decided that I will no longer be actively posting on this forum. I'll keep my account, and will continue to lurk and read people's comments, rail news and historical snippets with great interest. I'll sift as always to discern the informed, experienced, and astute from the know-it-all enthusiasts, the bitter jobless, the spurned prospective train crew and those with a tiresome agenda. However I will not be replying to private messages or posts for the foreseeable future. I do hope that the atmosphere of the forum improves in the future so that I may be able to reconsider my position.

I hope that doesn't read as pathetically as some "resignation speeches" I've seen on here, naming no names! ;)

Cheers

AE
 

A-driver

Established Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
4,482
I know that I have been dragged into debates quite heavily lately and I know it can come across that I am disregarding non-rail staffs points but I do try not to come across that way as it is certainly not my intention. It can be difficult when typing replies on here rather than having face to face discussions.

Unless there is clear and indisputable evidence against a member of rail staff I will always defend my friends and colleagues from criticism on here which is often as a result of jumping to conclusions and based purely on what has been read in the one sided press etc. I would also expect to be criticised myself for doing this to people in other industries.

I think that part of the problem is that it is easy to get hold of and read documents like the rule book but without the experience of doing the job and being in a situation where things need to be weighed up and split second decisions need to be made it can't hold much weight to simply argue 'that goes against the rule book and so the staff member was in the wrong'. Very little is that black and white in any industry.

I do often feel when reading criticism against rail staff that those criticising should consider how they would feel if people criticised their colleagues in whatever industry they work in without having the experience of working in that environment.

I don't believe that rail staff should always get the final say on here or that our opinions and posts are worth more than others BUT I feel in certain discussions relating to specific operational issues and incidents posts by rail staff need to be listened to more and people should hold off with inflammatory finger pointing comments unless they have all the evidence and are 100% confident with what they say, which in most incidents like those currently being discussed none of us do.

Let's also remember that those members of staff involved in incidents will be beating themselves up over it, they will be dealt with accordingly by their bosses and are very likely to have done anything wrong deliberately and so they really don't need people on here giving criticism - they will get enough of that from reading comments on the websites of the daily mail and evening standard...
 

Ascot

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2005
Messages
3,381
Location
Birmingham, UK
I fail to see what difference rail staff mods would make compared to non-rail staff mods. There's strong/one-track minded individuals in all walks of life and the mods are impartial to any subject so why do they need the technical knowledge to identify a controversial domestic starting?
 

NY Yankee

Member
Joined
26 Mar 2012
Messages
487
Location
New York City
Guys, as you know, I'm an American. For over 7 years, I posted on a NYC Subway-based messageboard. Rail UK on its worse day is a paradise compared to that messageboard. There was one troll over there who deliberately started flame wars with people for his own enjoyment. He would insult their intelligence and call them names like moron or retard. There were other guys there who would post blatantly racist comments.

I came here as a last resort. I nearly quit liking trains altogether. You guys have treated me well. If I did something to offend someone, it was unintentional and I apologise. If I decide to visit London, I want to hang out with you guys. Whatever problems are prevalent at Rail UK, I'm sure it will work out in the end.

If you think this place is bad, check this out:

http://www.subchat.com
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,472
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
However, the forum does rely on posts being reported for moderators to act. With over 1,000 posts per day we can't read them all, so you have to assume each post goes unread unless you have reported it. The report button (
report.gif
) can be found in the bottom-left of all posts (or top-left for PMs). All reports are read, and I would encourage you to consider using it whenever you have concerns about a post.

Yorkie,

You will be well aware of my views on this matter, which is that whilst many forum members are indeed aware of the "report" button, there are times when this facility should be used by a member who really feels annoyed/distressed by a particular posting, but is not used, preferring that "someone else" will make this report. I did make this very same point in a certain consultation forum.

If the administrators and the moderators do NOT have their attention drawn to a matter of contention in a posting, they cannot be expected to act upon it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I fail to see what difference rail staff mods would make compared to non-rail staff mods. There's strong/one-track minded individuals in all walks of life and the mods are impartial to any subject so why do they need the technical knowledge to identify a controversial domestic starting?

A most well constructed posting and full of common sense.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Guys, as you know, I'm an American. For over 7 years, I posted on a NYC Subway-based messageboard. Rail UK on its worse day is a paradise compared to that messageboard. There was one troll over there who deliberately started flame wars with people for his own enjoyment. He would insult their intelligence and call them names like moron or retard. There were other guys there who would post blatantly racist comments.

I came here as a last resort. I nearly quit liking trains altogether. You guys have treated me well. If I did something to offend someone, it was unintentional and I apologise. If I decide to visit London, I want to hang out with you guys. Whatever problems are prevalent at Rail UK, I'm sure it will work out in the end.

If you think this place is bad, check this out:

http://www.subchat.com

Isn't there another forum called NYC Transit Forums discussing transport related matters in New York State? I've read that one occasionally and thought it was fairly reasonable in terms of content and tone.

RailUK may not be perfect, but I can think of several UK and international forums which are a lot worse. There's one where the moderators act like Gods and will ban someone for the smallest violation of their over-zealous rules, while letting other "preferred posters" flame newcomers. Another where people are exceptionally rude to each other and there's virtually no intervention by moderators. You gain some perspective by joining forums like these.
 

O L Leigh

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2006
Messages
5,609
Location
In the cab with the paper
I fail to see what difference rail staff mods would make compared to non-rail staff mods.

Who knows...? Perhaps not much difference at all.

At the least I would hope a member of railstaff could tell when a member has gone beyond debate and discussion and is now trolling (or whatever the terms are today). It would also give those of us who are railstaff someone to go to in the event of a dispute who we feel would understand our perspective.

I don't believe that it matters that this person needs an understanding of all areas of railway operations. It could be a driver, guard, signaller or dispatcher, I really wouldn't mind. We all have similar worries and pressures, both in terms of management and performance, so I think we would all have at least an outline understanding of the issues faced by another member.

But to pick up on the speed of moderation, as it has been mentioned above. I suggested to Yorkie that there should be a moderation policy. If nothing else it would make it simpler for a single mod or admin to act quickly and consistently in the event of a problem or dispute if there was a set of guidelines or a policy to follow. At the moment there seems to be a lot of discussion going on behind the scenes that seems to slow the process down.

O L Leigh
 

NY Yankee

Member
Joined
26 Mar 2012
Messages
487
Location
New York City
I was also a member of NYC Transit Forums from November 2008 to July 2011. I posted under the handle "Forest Glen." Long story short, I had a falling out with the guys over there. They can't handle it when you disagree with them. They resort to ad hominem insults. I'm sure if you mention my name over there they'll know who I am. Just thinking about that place and Subchat brings back bad memories...

Getting back to the topic, I think people should be treated with respect. It's ok to disagree with people, but do not insult their intelligence or call them names.
 

PR1Berske

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2010
Messages
3,025
I am late to this party but just wanted to say a few things.

There is always a problem with discussion forums and message boards, more so when there's "industry experts". When you throw in the railway industry, and therefore the "self taught"/geeks/anoraks meeting the staff/crew/trained, it's going to end up with tensions high. Let's face it, when train staff and passengers meet on a platform they sometimes get into a riled argument, so of course the anonymity of the internet is going to stir emotions.

I have typed on this forum my views on a specific TOC. They're not very complimentary views and I have been taken to task by people employed by that TOC for being negative. To a degree, I concede that being negative towards a TOC on here is a bit "off", but I don't think this should mean it's something to be disallowed. I am, in common with many members here, an ordinary member of the public who sees RailUK as a place to ask questions, discuss issues and, where appropriate, criticise. Drivers, train crew and whoever else should not be immune to criticism. Abuse, of course, is over stepping the mark. Nobody on this forum should be abusive or expect abuse.

There's all manner of different types of people on this forum - the single poster who wants to know about ticketing or pricing, the job hunting wannabe-driver, the veteran train-spotter, the wise old railwayman of decades standing. There's enough sub-forums and large threads for people to go - and indeed, there's the off button - to reduce the stresses and strains

This is a great forum. None of us should work against the greater good.
 

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,893
Location
South Wales
Recently when I posted that thread asking for advice when I had that interview with FGW for the gateline assistant vacancy in Newbury some of you quickly replied telling me what to expect and that was something I am grateful for.

That shows how good this forum can be with having those members who are currently working in the rail industry who have valuable knowledge and it would be a shame to lose it.

I must admit I havent agreed with some things posted on this forum although I dont tend to just ignore those threads/posts unless it comes to a subject I am interested in.


I am sure there are those who dont agree with some things I have said in the past however I am happy to take critism on the chin and listen to what others have posted unless it becomes insulting etc.
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
I've been keeping an eye on this thread during the day, and I think it's time to air my thoughts....

Contrary to several member's opinion(s), I don't think the forum is in trouble and/or failing. True, there are a few people here who are out to cause trouble, but that's the same with most forums, and the moderating team do take swift action once the member in question is brought to their attention. Also, the forum has got a very good reputation for being a helpful place, just look at the ticketing forum for examples. Quite a few people sign up just to ask about ticketing options, and while most disappear once they have the answer(s) they were after, a handful do hang around. While they are not railway enthusiasts, they do look around the site and possibly learn a few things, such as infrastructure faults are not in fact the fault of the TOC, but Network Rail.

However, it's these topics (faults/PHBT/etc) that bring out the nasty side of the forum. You do get the same people each and every time lambasting NR/the deceased/TOC and go too far with their comments. Yes, this is a forum, so difference of opinions are to be expected (it would be a boring place if everyone agreed on everything), but it's the way they are put across. No need to go on a name calling, expletive filled rant when someone dares to disagree with you, just post your opinion again, and add a few more comments about it. Everyone, no matter who they are deserves respect about their posts. There are a few members on here who's posts I do keep a look out for. While I may not agree with what they say, I do find that overall their posts are worth reading and responding to.

Anyway, about me and my posting style .... As some of you will have noticed, I can post in an abrasive and controversial manner at times, so apologies if this does offend anyone. However, I do not apologise for posting in such a manner, as I am a blunt speaking person, who will say a spade is a spade, and not pussyfoot around the matter. Also I'm not an expert on anything when it comes to the railways, so all my posts when it comes to discussing topics such as freight (taking that as an example, as a few topics have surface recently), I'll post my opinions and ideas drawing upon my personal experiences from my time as a 7.5t lorry driver, and as such I'm always open to being corrected if I get something wrong.

Anyway, for those who tink that my post is too land and they can't be bothered to read it all, in essence, it says ....

The forum is running fine, just 1 or 2 minor tweaks may be needed to keep it that way.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Forgive the ignorance David, but what is "PHBT"?

- Oh, hold on, I think I can guess. A "one-under"?
 
Last edited:

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
Firstly, I've seen quite a few newer members who have said that they're sorry if it was them - if you are one of those members who feels that way, you may rest assured that it wasn't you that has disenchanted so many members on here.

I like this forum. I really do. It informs and entertains, whilst providing an 'open mic' for anyone who wants to vent their spleen on all matters rail (or not, there's a thread on bus allocations that seemed to originate some time in the last couple of centuries. I've never read it, for the record, I came here for trains...)

It's helped me a great deal, I've learned a lot from this forum - I wouldn't say I was naive when I first joined, but I certainly had an inflated view on my knowledge of the railways. It was the knowledge shared by the other members of this forum that brought me up to speed on what I wanted to know - their informative posts were brilliant - things I never knew, and things I never knew existed.

I'm not rail staff, but I've got a foot in - as it were - as a railtour Steward and a volunteer ticket inspector on a heritage line. I have a few friends on the railways (and when you've got your uniform on, everyone else on the railway rapidly becomes your pal) and it's not nice when someone slurs them unfairly. I realise that this just comes from people not knowing how irrelevant it is, some of it, sadly, comes from people who are bitter for whatever reason.

There's a problem that it can be hard to differentiate between the trolls and the naive ones. That's one problem. There's a few more.

Armchair experts. They're on every forum and they're a pain in the ass. Let's not beat about it. They claim they know better, and when someone who knows better (like people who actually do the job) they get rather embarrassed, and they deal with this egg on their face by arguing the toss. It really ruins the forum sometimes.

I've met or spoke with a couple of mods outside of this forum, I know that what they do is what they think is in the best interests of the forum. However, there is a fine line between censoring valid debate and locking a pointless thread from which we can learn nothing.

I'm with the others (some of whom, I note, are no longer members) who say that it will take more than a change to the rules to deal with the issue of spurious threads and posters with ulterior motives. It's one thing to have a moan about the rail service, and another to try and deliberately drop some one in the proverbial. Given that many railway managers trawl these forums, the end result can often be the same.

I'm not leaving this forum just yet, but I do feel that those who contribute positively don't get back what they put in. I'll reserve judgement, but I'm coming on here less and less - there's little to pull me back.

There are some people on here who insist that's it their god-given right to say what they like, no matter how wrong they may be. They do, they also have the responsibility to accept it with good grace and get on with it.

My final say on the matter is a quote from To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
 

Schnellzug

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2011
Messages
2,926
Location
Evercreech Junction
I love how people say I Will No Longer be Actively Posting on This forum, like Neville Chamberlain saying "regrettably, no such assurance has been received, and consequently, This Country is At War with Germany". :lol:
 

flymo

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2007
Messages
1,554
Location
Geordie back from exile.
I've never really seen a huge problem with this forum. People agree and disagree all the time. If there is a problem post then report it. If not then move on.
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
I love how people say I Will No Longer be Actively Posting on This forum, like Neville Chamberlain saying "regrettably, no such assurance has been received, and consequently, This Country is At War with Germany". :lol:

Mock those leaving at your peril, for it will just compound the opinions that many have held for quite some time.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
Mock those leaving at your peril, for it will just compound the opinions that many have held for quite some time.

IF they leave that is. The OP said he was packing up then was back in a few posts' time.

If a group of people threaten to leave because things aren't going their way just at the moment then their collective bluff needs to be called. We inferior beings who don't work for the railway will be forever held to ransom otherwise now this idea has been floated.
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
IF they leave that is. The OP said he was packing up then was back in a few posts' time.

If a group of people threaten to leave because things aren't going their way just at the moment then their collective bluff needs to be called. We inferior beings who don't work for the railway will be forever held to ransom otherwise now this idea has been floated.

AlterEgo has already gone. XCDriver has already gone. I don't work for the railway, but I get where they're coming from. It can't be nice coming on and seeing people slating their colleagues pointlessly/for the sake of it.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Life isn't a bowl of cherries though and this forum is a reflection of that. People will constantly challenge you every step of the way, it's not just in the rail industry where outsiders lecture you on how to do your job or on procedures that they know nothing about. It's a rather common thing, so one has to rise above it!

It's often not worth the effort of trying to reason with characters like that, but they shouldn't really prevent anyone from getting something out of a forum like this one....
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
Life isn't a bowl of cherries though and this forum is a reflection of that. People will constantly challenge you every step of the way, it's not just in the rail industry where outsiders lecture you on how to do your job or on procedures that they know nothing about. It's a rather common thing, so one has to rise above it!

It's often not worth the effort of trying to reason with characters like that, but they shouldn't really prevent anyone from getting something out of a forum like this one....

Yes, but in public people can say what they like - forums (can) have rules!

The argument of many on here is that they shouldn't have to put up with it - especially when it could put they or their colleague's job at risk!

The problem is that it's hard to tell who's a joker, who's deadly serious and who's just plain arrogant.
 

NY Yankee

Member
Joined
26 Mar 2012
Messages
487
Location
New York City
Let me just be succinct and say that there will be disagreements. We have different perspectives on different issues. We should simply agree to disagree. Calling someone an idiot, moron, or retard because you disagree with them is wrong. That's what happened to me at Subchat and New York City Transit Forums. Unlike those wastes of life, however, you guys have class. Now let's stop fighting and get back to talking about trains in England and around the world.
 

flymo

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2007
Messages
1,554
Location
Geordie back from exile.
Paul Sidorczuk:1107848 said:
I have constantly said that not enough members use the "report" button if they feel that certain postings have "crosssed the line".

That is what it is for, so those who run the forum can act on matters.

Couldn't agree more Paul !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top