Here's what Head for Points make of HX.
www.headforpoints.com
What is the future for Heathrow Express after 2028?
Heathrow Express only has track rights from London Paddington to Heathrow Junction until 2028. We take a look at the possible options for future Heathrow rail.
www.headforpoints.com
The future of Heathrow Express: what happens in 2028 when its track access expires?
23 March 2026
by Rhys Jones
Yesterday I pulled on a pair of Heathrow Express socks I received in a goody bag at the company’s 25th anniversary celebrations in 2023, only to notice a hole was developing in the right-foot toebox.
‘Life imitates art,’ I thought. Recently The Times published (paywall) an article that said Heathrow Express revenues had ‘derailed’ since the arrival of the Elizabeth Line and that profits had halved since pre-covid.
I thought my sock might make an interesting hook upon which to hang a story about the company’s gradual decline, but after digging a little deeper I realised The Times story wasn’t the whole truth.
Like many people, I had assumed that the opening of the Elizabeth Line in May 2022, which finally enabled a direct stopping service from Heathrow through central London and out to Shenfield and Abbey Wood, would chip away at (well, let’s be honest, destroy) Heathrow Express’s business model.
At £26 for a walk-up ticket, Heathrow Express is the most expensive rail journey in the UK with a cost-per-mile of about £2. With cheaper walk-up fares on the Elizabeth Line (£14.60 one-way) surely Heathrow Express passenger numbers could only go in one direction?
Look into the accounts, however, and it’s clear that’s not the full story. Thanks to good marketing and an established name, Heathrow Express continues to attract millions of travellers despite its cost.