• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

the final curtain for 43089 as a Valenta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martyn29

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2007
Messages
815
Location
Leicester
You won't be getting a warning for having an oppinion (sic), but your spelling and grammar is atrocious. Even when I'm half asleep as I am currently, I couldn't type out such a terrible post.

OK, so you've got me riled up now so you're getting it:

Why do people like Martyn and I (as well as plenty of other people!) like the noisy and un-environmentally friendly lumps of metal (as you put it)? They make a fantastic sound, and quite frankly I don't care that they're not as environmentally friendly as more modern diesel engines. That sort of thing doesn't interest me terribly.

Noisy? Quite so, and I daresay Martyn is with me when I say the noisier the better! Un-environmentally friendly? What do you expect for engines that are 33 years old?

But let's turn the tables around, why do you like the 175s as you proclaim in your forum username? The seats are not all that comfortable, the air-con is dodgy at the best of times, the radios don't work anymore, the PIS on-board has multiple personalities, the door beeper is deafening on and off the train, the brakes are terribly noisy, the units are underfloor-engined spelling a lack of comfort in terms of noise levels for passengers, the interiors are worn out and the fleet is, generally speaking, unreliable even these days.

For a fleet that's what, 5 years old that is atrocious.

I look forward to your reply.

generalvegitable: The VP185 is a development from the Valenta, although I forget exactly how it got to where it is now. What is interesting is that they are still developing the design.

However it is still the end for the Valenta in 43089 soon, as the VP185 is a new era. The end will come totally when the fleet comes to withdrawal. That day is when Martyn and I will no doubt be on the final farewell run, both full of fond memories.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


One humongous NA256 or SA-056 turbo if memory serves. Coupled with a Marston cooler and a Valenta, then you've got the classic sound that I love hearing at every opportunity.

The MTU'd power cars have something like 4 tiny turbos don't they Scott?

Couldnt agree more:) thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martyn29

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2007
Messages
815
Location
Leicester
Mod note - moved here as I felt it seemed like a good continuation of this thread

latest news:
not good Im afraid.. 43089 is being stored at Nevilel Hill as they have no replacement engine for her.
 

1D53

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2006
Messages
2,893
43089 is back in service. Not sure what power unit is in her but sounded and smoked like a Valenta.
 

Demps

Member
Joined
11 May 2006
Messages
692
Location
York
089, valenta? Please say she hasnt changed, i need to shoot her before all is lost. Is 089 in the new livery too?



ITS JUST AN ENJINE!.... There are some sad people around arnt there... I dont understand why so many people drool over a 30 year old, noisy, un-environmentally friendly lump of metal, its rather pathetic if you ask me...

Ime guessing ile probobly get a warning for having an oppinion:roll:

You clearly dont understand this hobby then do you, please return to your quiet corner and stfu. Your a 170 fan, get a grip.

P.S Its 'Engine', your either knumb, or you want to sound cool.
 

1D53

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2006
Messages
2,893
089 was repainted into East Midlands livery when it moved over.
 

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Joined
2 Dec 2007
Messages
1,270
You clearly dont understand this hobby then do you, please return to your quiet corner and stfu. Your a 170 fan, get a grip.

P.S Its 'Engine', your either knumb, or you want to sound cool.

P.S It's meant to be "You're a 170 fan" not "Your". Irony? Where? ;)
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
089, valenta? Please say she hasnt changed, i need to shoot her before all is lost. Is 089 in the new livery too?

Yep still a Valenta, saw and heard her today on the 164x off Leicester to Nottingham on the rear. And yes, in new livery, but looking positively filthy!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Yep still a Valenta, saw and heard her today on the 164x off Leicester to Nottingham on the rear. And yes, in new livery, but looking positively filthy!

Brilliant news, glad to hear she's doing what she does best.

Shame about the livery, but roll on 17th and 18th July. Time to start bribing EMT...
 

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Joined
2 Dec 2007
Messages
1,270
Yep still a Valenta, saw and heard her today on the 164x off Leicester to Nottingham on the rear. And yes, in new livery, but looking positively filthy!

I thought 089 was in the new livery before its 'problems'? It surely was stopped in the EMT livery, is there a new new livery?
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
well read the post above mine. 43089, the sole valenta.

I meant which livery? The express one? (white). but I think you meant the white one cos your talking about 089, I had just got up when I posted. :oops:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top