• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Epic 10 Year Anniversary Bash, 22nd to 24th September 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Hey all,

Finally getting on with typing up the trip report from last week's brilliant bash celebrating 10 years of rail enthusiasm. As per usual, it won't be possible to do it all in one sitting so bear with me. Here we go then:

22nd September 2013 - The Epic 10 Year Anniversary Bash, Day 1

YEEHAA! At long last, the epic bash is here! After a tough week at work, it was especially needed. With everything prepared last night, it was finally off to bed for some doss around 0100 and the alarm was off at 0800. Certainly made me jump! I looked at the watch and misread it at first, thinking it said 0900! After breakfast and a coffee, I get a lift into town and we get there earlier than expected, due to light traffic on this Sunday morning. After a while, I head into the station to pick up my tickets (I had pre-booked them on RedSpottedHanky for some much needed loyalty points!) and board the 1006 to Birmingham New Street. Dud 172336 is on it, still need 331 and 337 yet, hopefully my next WMDR gets them in.

I'd have liked to recreate my first trip as an enthusiast for this anniversary bash, however that was the 0330 Swansea to London Paddington in autumn 2003 [I don't have an exact date annoyingly for it - Ed]. With HSTs featuring IC70 seats, Valentas, Marston coolers and NA256 turbos long gone, replaced with MTUs and vastly different seating, it's not exactly possible to recreate that! Many options were looked into for weeks for this trip, eventually I decided to keep it on UK soil, with a decision made to visit Glasgow. Flying up from Birmingham as I've wanted to do it for ages, and I'll hopefully get some more Flybe craft seen and travelled on [haulage isn't a suitable term here, flyage doesn't sound right, any ideas? - Ed] too. Since I also enjoy planes these days, it was deemed a vital part of this trip since I use planes a lot to get to rail bashes on the continent a lot. I've also not flown since 2nd June and I was getting withdrawal symptoms [I already have them again and it's not quite been a week yet! - Ed] after so long!

The trip to Worcester is spent starting the trip report and playing music, not to mention staring out of the window. Been far too long since my last proper big bash, well over a month! The train got rather busy after Worcester, having been moderately busy for a Sunday morning out of Hereford, and was full of standees after Bromsgrove. The first winner of the day is up next with an insect leap to Birmingham International, 390127 in charge of the 1150 to London Euston. An uneventful journey and it's Subway time for my usual meal here. Off next to the airport via the AirRail link, surprisingly enough there were no airline adverts playing on this occasion. I still remember hearing the bmibaby one far too many times to count :lol: It's then Costa coffee time and much wandering around in the sunshine before heading through security with no issues. Those body scanner things are funky though! I read RAIL for a bit then decide to get a pint of Peroni from The Meriden bar, didn't expect it to cost £4.95 though! Very tasty thankfully, and I end up chatting to a couple off to Tenerife who've had to endure a 2 hour delay with Monarch. Never flown with them but everyone advises to not bother! It's winner G-FBEN, an Embraer 195, on the 1540 to Glasgow International which I'm very happy with. I had expected a Dash 8, but this suits me just fine as I've never had one of these before. We leave 8 minutes late, which turns out not to be a problem as the flight's only about 50 minutes long with a 1 hour and 20 minute schedule [important note, I count the departure time of a flight as when the pushback begins. Arrival time is when the plane comes to a stop at the terminal, as opposed to declaring an arrival to be xx minutes early when we've just touched down like Ryanair like to do - Ed]


Welcome to Glasgow at the airport by 43002, on Flickr

After an enjoyable flight on which I read more of the current RAIL magazine, we arrive 9 minutes early at 1651. I head straight to the bus stops, after noticing a Tesco Express at the airport which compared to the likes of Spar is incredibly handy. It's shortly onto McGills' route 66 to Paisley Gilmour Street, and a 12 minute journey drops me off by the station. I get my Roundabout for £6.30 for this evening's travels and just about make it up the stairs to platform 3 to see what's on the 1725 to Glasgow Central.


Paisley Gilmour Street station entrance by 43002, on Flickr


380115 at Glasgow Central by 43002, on Flickr


156496 at Glasgow Central by 43002, on Flickr

Dud 380115 is on it, but the next one isn't for quite a few minutes so I jump on regardless. The refurbishment of the station has been completed since I was last here and looks a lot better now. I'm also starving now so I head to Burger King after the short trip into Glasgow for a supersized usual meal, man that was good! After that, it was off to the low level platforms, and my next train is several minutes late, offering me an opportunity to have an insect leap on winner 334016 to Argyle Street. The thriller filler was followed by winner 318268 to Partick. Next up is dud 334011 on the insect leap to Charing Cross, which is next to the Premier Inn I'm staying at tonight. Quite literally next to the station, I'd be surprised if door to door it took more than 5 seconds to walk it! :D I have a feeling I'll be using this hotel for my proposed regular trips to Glasgow more than originally expected, it's incredibly handy for cranking! After dropping off the majority of my stuff, I head back out for a while to get some more winners in the book. Dud 334031 is up next on another insect leap to Glasgow Queen Street Low Level, which is followed by dud 158720 on the 1922 to Cumbernauld. Off I go regardless for a shack scratch somewhere...


158720 at Glasgow Queen Street by 43002, on Flickr

Didn't realise it was replacement buses from Queen Street to Cumbernauld after this train tonight, eventually I get the gen from National Rail Enquiries that bailing at Gartcosh will be just fine. It means a +40 here, but the journey back from Greenfauld was deemed to be too long on the rail replacement bus. No posters on the station, and no working information point, so that meant some expensive phone calls to get the gen on the bus' picking up point. Eventually time passes and MacPhearsons' F11 MMM turns up on the 2020 back to Glasgow Queen Street. Lots of back streets and turn offs here, there and everywhere required to get us to Stepps and Springburn stations, only to pick up no-one and drop off no-one. We arrive at 2058, 2 minutes early and I head downstairs to the low level platforms to get the 2124 back to Charing Cross. 334005 is dud on the leap, then when I get back to my room feeling shattered, it's the usual evening procedures and TV watching. Sleep finally comes around midnight, a long day indeed.

So then, let's bring back the daily statistics!

Day 1 mileage - 83 miles, 47 chains on the rails
Mileage move of the day - 260 miles on G-FBEN
Insect leap of the day - 28 chains on 334016
Highlight of the day - The first flight in about 3.5 months :D
Low point of the day - The harsh amount of duddage, considering how much I need north of the border
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
Ooh the Charing Cross Premier Inn - had a good stay there a couple of years ago :)

Also Re: Monarch - you might want to try their Airbus A300's as I believe they are being retired next year and IIRC are the only ones still flying regular passenger routes in Europe - abeit in charter Sardine config (9 abreast rather then standard 8)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Aye the Charing Cross Premier Inn is good, especially since it was only £29. Much better placed than Glasgow Central Travelodge, but the report will get to that soon...

Didn't know that about the Monarch A300s, although to be fair I don't keep up to date with aviation news as much as I should. Most of what's in the AFQR might as well be Lithuanian to me! Need to get one of the aviation magazines tomorrow and try to educate oneself more! There is one, I believe, out currently which had a supplement detailing airline fleets and stuff. Was going to get it last week but I already had RAIL to read.

SHOULD be continuing on with Day 2 tomorrow, depending on circumstances.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Thanks :) I've typed up Day 2 in WordPad offline on the laptop this morning, looking to post that and the relevant photos tonight, possibly Day 3 as well. That'll depend on work and home life stuff primarily, but it won't be long until it's all up :)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Sorry all for the delay in posting the rest of the trip report, it's been a very tough week and I've simply had no chance to get it done. I've also misplaced my notebook which is very frustrating.

Thankfully things are looking up now, and I am busy all day tomorrow so I'm expecting it posted by the end of next week.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Taken long enough to get on with this, long days of work and commuting have left me too tired to bother after getting home, and last night I had other more important stuff to do. Anyway, now I have a few minutes to spare, here is day 2 at long last!

23rd September 2013 - The Epic 10 Year Anniversary Bash, Day 2

Time to get up at 0800 for some rancidity busting [chances are, if you worked on the shopfloor at Asda you'd find that play of words funny. Certainly made me laugh as I typed it as an amendum to this trip report! - Ed] and most of the usual morning procedures. Around 45 minutes later I head downstairs to the station and get my Daytripper for £11.70. First up for today, 334032 for a win on a Springburn service and on an insect leap to Queen Street for me. I've not had time for breakfast yet, I've far too much to do for wasting time on that! Straight upstairs to the high level platforms then where I get on dud [seriously, how does that work, I need truck loads of Scottish 170s! - Ed] 170476 on the 0918 to Alloa for a station grice at Croy. We leave 4 minutes late due to minor delays still affecting the Queen Street area following a freight train failure earlier. Oh aren't I glad I wasn't out for the morning peak then! It's time to read the Metro on the way to Croy, although I don't find much of interest for me this morning. I could detail times when I've found stuff in there of particular interest, but let's leave it as one morning in July 2011 it was particularly interesting...<D


170476 at Croy by 43002, on Flickr

170458 is a winner on the 0943 back to Glasgow Queen Street, which was a welcome relief. On it to Bishopbriggs for a man of steel +0 onto the 0954 to Stirling, which produced dud 170394 and was fortunately 2 down on its departure time. Interesting note there to readers of this, when referring to delays, which term do you use, down or late? For some extensive time I've used down, but other people seem to use late. Anyway, you'd think that, considering I need around 48 170s north of t'border, that I'd have better luck than 1 out of 3. That said, that's nothing compared to later [or indeed, some hours later in the day, but we'll get to those - Ed]! Off at Lenzie and that clears Queen Street to Stirling for stations now, and I have time to visit an ATM for some much needed cash and to a local shop for some drinks. Food should have been entered into the equation this morning, but clearly I wasn't listening to my stomach for a change, instead preferring to listen solely to my train-obsessed head! The 1020 to Queen Street is not only dud, but it's 156431. Not that I'm complaining about the motive power, I've not had a 156 in quite some time, more that considering I need around 55 Scottish 156s, I get one that's dud! Now that's some rather rubbish luck. Nevertheless, back to town I go on it and from what I can see on other people's tickets, it's come down from Alloa too. I open my can of Rockstar Xdurance [also known as Techniquest's TB1 Rocket Fuel, long story! - Ed] on the way back, having it vice 2 cups of coffee. With nothing interesting happening at Queen Street High Level in terms of winners that I can get on in the foreseeable future, I head downstairs for 334031 and 334030, the latter a winner, on a move to scoop in Coatbridge Sunnyside. We're RA High Street to Coatbridge Sunnyside too, not something I knew happened on a regular basis. Checking the map confirms it shouldn't take too long to walk to Coatbridge Central, and it's done within 10 minutes.


158730 at Motherwell by 43002, on Flickr

What a rough looking station though, good golly gosh [I'm sure you can imagine I didn't actually think that at the time, much less polite language came to mind! - Ed] I don't want to come back to here! When I eventually find the subway to the other platform, I have to go like a bat out of hell to make it onto 158730 on the 1121 to Motherwell. Winner winner chicken dinner for this 158, only the second DMU of the day I've won on so far. Glad I came this way now though as I happened to see my last 325 for sight on Mossend, 325013 :D FINALLY got the last of them ticked off, no more struggling to see which ones are about and getting annoyed when those I do ID are dud! Otherwise, it was an uneventful journey like all of the others so far today. Next up is a thriller filler move to Carluke for a station grice in order to fill time before the train to Carstairs. I don't think ScotRail likes me today, as both 318265 and 320318 have joined forces to annoy me with their dudness on this move via Holytown. On which note, doesn't it take forever and a day to get to Holytown? At Carluke, I watch some trains belting it through like nobody's business and 380103 is 3 down on the 1222 to Edinburgh, thanks to 390148 getting in the way. That's the +2 at Carstairs for the train back to Glasgow looking extremely suspect then, cue the danger music! We arrive at 1232, and I am grateful it's an island platform and that the guard on the Glasgow train didn't close the doors before I ran over for it. It was almost 2 hours until the next train, which would have bowled me out of all plans for the day! I had clearly forgotten the first rule of station gricing, which is not to plan tight connections in case of random delays. The second rule of station gricing? Not to plan tight connections in case of random delays [see what I did there? I made a reference to Fight Club in case it wasn't obvious - Ed]...

Winner 380105 (at last!) back to Glasgow and it's time for some tunes as I sit back and relax finally. Doesn't it take a long, twisted route back to Glasgow? Would be so much better if we could just fly up the mainline after Wishaw and the stop at Motherwell, but no we've got to crawl through Bellshill for some reason. It's 1316 when we arrive into Glasgow, and my stomach has been bellowing at me for the last 90 minutes so I finally decide it's time to shut it up and treat myself to my usual meal from Burger King, supersized of course. Still, there's no time to sit down and eat it here, which would have been nice to soak up the atmosphere of the station as I did here last night, so I wear out my trainers by a most significant amount over to platform 13 for the 1330 to Ayr. It produces dud 380017 for this move to Troon, and I'm very happy it's RA Central to Kilwinning.


380017 at Troon by 43002, on Flickr

With lunch devoured, I'm now a lot happier and enjoying this fast run. Next up is a winner DMU finally, in the form of 156439 on the 1404 Kilmarnock to Girvan. Once I sort out how to get stuff off the DVD in the camcorder and onto YouTube, you'll see what I mean but in the meantime, switch on your imagination and trust me when I say 156439 was quite the monster for noise! Off to Girvan I go enjoying the racket, the hopper windows next to me fully open, for the station grice before returning on 156439 to Maybole for another station grice. I had wanted to grice Barrhill on this trip, but that involved some ridiculously long festers [I'm not kidding, the shortest one I saw was 1 hour and 25 minutes! - Ed] so I cancelled that idea. Granted, I could have found stuff to do in that time, but as with Carstairs that meant too much time taken out of the day. I stock up on a big bottle of Dr Pepper from the local shop at Maybole for £1.79 and I have dud 156449 on a Stranraer to Kilmarnock service. I'm on it for the next station grice at Prestwick Town, and it's there I see the 1623 Ayr to Glasgow Central's inbound working. I'm disappointed to see it's 380017 again, surmising it'll be my highest mileage 380 at this rate, given I've had it Ayr to Glasgow, Glasgow to Troon and now Prestwick Town to Kilwinning [I wasn't incorrect, I've had it for approximately 85 miles now - Ed]. An uneventful journey drops me off at Kilwinning, and the 1643 to Ardrossan Harbour is several minutes late, producing dud 380104 for the short leap to Stevenston.


156439 at Girvan by 43002, on Flickr


156449 at Prestwick Town by 43002, on Flickr

If we'd been on time, I'd have seen and been able to record 66188 heading east on a coal train. 380011 is next and dud on the insect leap to Saltcoats, and I now have some time between trains to stock on some food supplies. Nothing obvious in the town centre, and by gosh isn't it a dump! No offence to anyone living there, but what you see when you come off the train is extremely rough, on a par with the walk from Stapleton Road to Lawrence Hill in Bristol! :o Iceland is sourced down the road and some meat, bread, chocolate bars and crisps are got for later, then it was back to the station. I get curious as to how far Ardrossan Town to Ardrossan South Beach is on foot, and the maps function on my phone suggests it's not too difficult or far. Therefore the next move is dud 380113 to Ardrossan Town, from which I rush up the road along the B780 to Ardrossan South Beach, making it in just 9 minutes. If I didn't have luggage with me I could have done it in less no doubt, if I'd realised I would have time to spare I'd have got some photos. Dud 380011 is back for a thriller filler to Saltcoats to kill time before the next Largs train. Would you believe it, after such a long spree of duddage, I get a pair of winners with 380116 and 380007 on the next Largs train for the leap to West Kilbride. Should have known the evening peak wouldn't let me down!


380011 at Saltcoats by 43002, on Flickr


TV still used at West Kilbride for PIS by 43002, on Flickr

I see that ScotRail still use TV screens for Passenger Information Systems here, I thought these were all long gone across the UK! Winner 380022 is next up on a leap to Fairlie, which clears both the Largs and Ardrossan Harbour branches for stations now. A good bit of progress for the Baker there then, just need to get on and clear the rest of Renfrewshire and Ayrshire now to make it really impressive! 380007 and 380116 soon return to take me back to Glasgow Central, it's starting to get a bit late and dark now so I need to start heading back into town to set up base camp. It's also time to start devouring some food, it's now gone 1900 by the time that starts so around 5.5 hours since the combined breakfast/lunch was finished. The journey is uneventful, except to note that my notebook is almost completely falling apart now :(


380007 and 380116 at Glasgow Central by 43002, on Flickr

We get back to Glasgow Central at 1952 and I can't be bothered with the bus link to Glasgow Queen Street, instead opting to boost my rail mileage slightly by getting there via Partick. Just as well, as I jump onto winner 320311 that way, with the final move of the day falling to 334002 on the leap from Partick to Queen Street. Nice to have ended the day on a winner! I get lost walking to the [not very central Glasgow Central] Travelodge, eventually I make it there at 2055. I spend forever trying to check in and print my boarding pass for tomorrow's flight [curse you Flybe with your 36 hour rule with online checking in! - Ed], thankfully the Travelodge manager was able to receive it by email and print it that way. The day is rounded off with the usual evening procedures and TV watching, and by the half way mark of the second of tonight's episodes of The Big Bang Theory, I give up and fall asleep, it being around 0040 by this point!

So then, let's get some daily statistics going on:

Day 2 mileage - 251 miles 16 chains
Mileage move of the day - 39 miles 51 chains on 380007 and 380116
Insect leap of the day - 0 miles 60 chains on 334032
Highlight of the day - Making excellent progress in the Baker with winner stations, including some awkward ones that have previously meant outrageous festers
Low point of the day - All the dud stuff I got on, wasn't expecting much of that except for repeated stuff from the same day.
Number of winners - 11, 3 of them DMUs (I had originally expected these numbers to be at least doubled. The greatest plans...)
Number of required stations - 17 (not quite as high as I'd have liked, 25 would have been brilliant)
Music of the day - Green Day's Holiday

Right, after losing it the first time, let's get Day 3 re-done and out of the way. Getting downright fed up of this bloody report now... :x

24th September 2013 - The Epic 10 Year Anniversary Bash, Day 3

Time at 0700 to send the noise of the alarms back to the depths of hell [the alternative to that was "back to oblivion", both are sayings used at work, long story! - Ed], from where they once came, ahead of a badly needed de-rancification. Time then to leave the not-very-Central Travelodge (seriously, they need to name their locations better!) at 0730 and cancel the plan to walk to Charing Cross, opting for Central instead. However I note a sign pointing out the SPT Subway nearby, so since it's raining that's a better idea. £1.40 gets me a single from Cowcaddens (a 3 minute walk from the Travelodge, definitely a lot easier too than from Charing Cross, Central or Queen Street) to Partick, and this option gives me the option to finally scoop Kelvinhall too. Been a long time to get the Clockwork Orange stations all done, some of us did the lower half of the circle done in 2005 on the infamous SPT Track Bash meet in 2005, then I did some more in July 2008 and now finally, 5 and a bit years later, I've got my last one done! I scoop 5 cars in the process all in this morning so it's all gravy. Lush thick homemade gravy [don't ask... - Ed], now that's made me hungry!

Still 12 or so cars to get on the Clockwork Orange from what I remember, so a good excuse to pop up here again at some point. I already envisage coming up this way north of the border several times in the next few years anyway, so much to get in the book! Back to the mainline now, 320321 is a winner on a leap to Glasgow Central this morning. Typically, all week when I've been here at Partick the first train east has always been a service through Central when I'm going to Queen Street, this morning it's the other way around! £3.20 for a single to Glasgow Airport, route Paisley Coach, which is a LOT better than the £6 single on the express bus from Queen Street! I'm treated to the sight of my penultimate 320, 320315, for sight upon arrival at Central Low Level, which leaves just 320305 to see before I clear the Scottish EMUs for sight :) Time for a Costa Coffee move after withdrawing some cash, then it was time to wear off the soles of my trainers significantly on the rush to platform 13 again for dud 380006 on the 0825 to Gourock. It'll have to do, I'm running low on time now anyway. An uneventful journey to Paisley gave me a super quick connection onto route 757 to the airport, this time I get McGills' I4442 and a 10 minute journey gets me to the airport. Security is cleared in just 6 minutes, and I need to kill some time so it's off to The Sanderling (Wetherspoon) for breakfast. A fiver gets me a sausage bap and a decent size coffee, far from cheap but reasonable-ish for an airport. I then discover the runway viewing area, so I note and photograph some planes before the gate's announced bang on time [see Birmingham and Flybe, it CAN be done! - Ed] at 1010.

[NOTE - lack of photos posted in Day 3 as I've simply given up with this post and just want it done and out of the way now]

Off next then to gate 25 and following the fashion of previous Flybe experiences, boarding is significantly late starting. I'm almost right at the back (row 22 of 23) on my first Embraer 175, in this case G-FBJF, never sat this far back on a plane before! We finally have doors closed at 1047, pushback at 1049 and into the air at 1100. The flight is spent writing up more of the trip report into my notebook, and we're back on the ground at 1142, arriving into Birmingham at 1144. A massive 21 minutes early, and after several minutes I'm off the plane and surprised there's anything left of the soles of my trainers [worth pointing out this repeated joke is a reference to walking fast as standard, so when I make this joke it's going like a bat of hell! - Ed] when I reach Birmingham International station. Dud 350123 is on the slightly delayed 1205 to Birmingham New Street, I have no time to hang about for any potential winners. After an uneventful journey into the city, I race off to Ian Allen in a bid to get two new books I need. Unlike Manchester, they don't stock ST Publications books. What a waste of effort then, won't be making the effort to visit here again since they're as bad as Cardiff (heart-of-wessex will know what I mean) was when I last went there. I stock up on some food and drink for lunch to try and get some energy into me ahead of work later this afternoon, and then I see that the 1249 to Hereford is cancelled! Querying alternatives, there's nothing but to wait for the 1349 instead. Best get on the blower to work then and let them know I'm going to be late. I wander around for a bit then settle to finish off my lunch and wield the pen to write up some more of this thing [can you tell as I'm typing this up I'm getting angry about stuff? Less humour than would normally be applied for one...Real life stresses getting on my wick isn't helping my impatience with this typing lark - Ed] written into the notebook.

After a while, I vote on having another Costa Coffee then board the 1349 to Hereford with dud [surprise surprise! - Ed] 170505 and 170634. Only 170505 was open though, seems a weird idea to take 5 coaches with you but only open 2 :s. I get the pen and notebook back out and finish writing this lot up, which took until just before Worcester. Then it was time to do the moves book, which only just got done before arriving into Hereford. Off then to work and then the usual commute home to round off the trip, although it was hard to work since I still had my crank head on! So was this a good trip? Yes indeed, although I'd have been far happier if I'd had more winners. Even so, it was a good celebration for doing what I do for 10 years, now bring on the next 10 years! Let's finish this off once and for all then with some stats:

Day 3 mileage - 74 miles 51 chains
Mileage move of the day - 260 miles on G-FBJF
Insect leap of the day - 0 miles 40 chains on the SPT Subway
Highlight of the day - Getting my penultimate 320 for sight
Low point of the day - Having to go back to work
Music of the day - Green Day's Give Me Novacaine
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top