GusB
Established Member
There has been much debate here on the forum about DOO and not having a second member of staff on the train. Over the last couple of years I've been digging through the various accident reports at railwaysarchive.co.uk, and I was quite surprised at how many people were actually involved in the running of trains in the past.
Many of these reports refer to "Driver X" and "Secondman Y" - I'm assuming that the role of the secondman would have essentially been the old fireman grade, but when did it actually become acceptable to run a train without two people in the cab? I'm fairly certain I read somewhere that the rules were relaxed so that it was okay to have one person in the cab, but that if the train ran over a certain speed (100mph), two people were still required.
When were the rules about single "manning" relaxed, and was there as big a stink as there is now with the desire to do away with guards?
Many of these reports refer to "Driver X" and "Secondman Y" - I'm assuming that the role of the secondman would have essentially been the old fireman grade, but when did it actually become acceptable to run a train without two people in the cab? I'm fairly certain I read somewhere that the rules were relaxed so that it was okay to have one person in the cab, but that if the train ran over a certain speed (100mph), two people were still required.
When were the rules about single "manning" relaxed, and was there as big a stink as there is now with the desire to do away with guards?