• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Day Britain Stopped BBC Mockumentery a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galvanize

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,129
Location
South East london
Evening everyone.

10 years ago, in 2003 the BBC aired a mockumentary called "The Day Britain Stopped", which was about a fictional transport meltdown across the UK caused by a nationwide railway strike. I'm not going to spoil the plot for those who haven't watched it, I recommend it, makes a very good viewing if you have a spare 90 minutes!

Here's my question that I've been scratching my head for the answer for years.
There's a scene where they supposedly interview somebody from Swanley in Kent, however when they zoom in on "Swanley", they show an aerial view of a completely different location.

It looks quite distinctive as there is a patterned roundabout, a large park/common area with straight paths, the buildings look almost victorian, and in the background, there are several high rise buildings too.

So...does anyone know where it is?

Also, anyone who wants to see the programme, can do so on Youtube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6BxSbx1Fm0
 

Attachments

  • Mystery Roundabout.jpg
    Mystery Roundabout.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 84
  • Mystery Town.jpg
    Mystery Town.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 79
  • mystery Town 3.jpg
    mystery Town 3.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 76
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leylandlad

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
118
It was a very good view 10 years ago...just like the GTR programmes Weds/Thurs this week.

Basically true, but some poetic licence. The exact locations could not be replicated on film.

Where was the GTR filmed?
 

Galvanize

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,129
Location
South East london
Where was the GTR filmed?

Keighley and Worth Valley Railway was where the GTR was filmed.

The location I'm wondering about, can't be in London surely, I probably would of recognised it if it was in London. Quite a few places are ruled out as the buildings either look too old, or too built up, or too flat!

Hmm...
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Looks like Harrogate to me, in West Yorkshire.
I'd thought of Clifton Downs in Bristol for a moment, but there was too much tweeness in those images (I'm sure Harrogate is a colony of Camden).
The curves in the third picture made me wonder about Nottingham, and the dormer windows seemed to belong in the north, but I couldn't place the park there.
The colours have been distorted, which also confused me for a while - but once we realise that these are mainly lime trees, and can compensate for that, then it becomes clearer. The pale memorial, the church tower (blackened at the time), the curved terrace with dormer windows, and the angles of the paths through the park clinched it.
 
Last edited:

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,297
Location
Leeds
Looks like Harrogate to me, in West Yorkshire.
I'd thought of Clifton Downs in Bristol for a moment, but there was too much tweeness in those images (I'm sure Harrogate is a colony of Camden).
The curves in the third picture made me wonder about Nottingham, and the dormer windows seemed to belong in the north, but I couldn't place the park there.
The colours have been distorted, which also confused me for a while - but once we realise that these are mainly lime trees, and can compensate for that, then it becomes clearer. The pale memorial, the church tower (blackened at the time), the curved terrace with dormer windows, and the angles of the paths through the park clinched it.


Harrogate is north, not West Yorkshire
 

dosxuk

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2011
Messages
2,439
Looks like Harrogate to me too - the third image is almost certainly here.
 

Galvanize

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,129
Location
South East london
The BBC probably chose Harrogate as it looks slightly nicer than Swanley, plus Swanley is not as built up as Harrogate appears to be.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top