• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "City of Chelmsford"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Having recently read through this thread from last Autumn, I decided to do a little research on City Status, and have come across the following website. What do you think of it? Someone obviously expects the 2012 winner to be in Essex (and I don't mean me either! - I expect Reading to win)...

http://www.city-of-chelmsford.com/

In particular, I quote the following:

Even though Chelmsford is not officially granted a city status, it is only a matter of time. This picturesque town has all it takes to be a city.

The site even has its own Trainline booking system... :roll:
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick W

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2005
Messages
1,435
Location
Cambridge
I never realised it wasn't a city! I believe that means that Essex just like Suffolk doesn't have a single city! I wonder how many other counties lack a single city?
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
In all of East Anglia, only Norwich, Cambridge and Ely are officially cities (Peterborough is not in East Anglia, even though it is ceremonially in Cambridgeshire). Chelmsford has one of the best claims of all towns in England, including among others a cathedral, a University (shared with Cambridge), a cultural heritage (radio), and more; what it lacks however is a notable Royal connection (which local "rival" Southend does have). I used to think it was as well, until about three or so years ago. However, only Ely is considered a cathedral city.

There are 50 official cities in England, as follows:

  • Bath
  • Birmingham
  • Bradford
  • Brighton & Hove
  • Bristol
  • Cambridge
  • Canterbury
  • Carlisle
  • Chester
  • Chichester
  • Coventry
  • Derby
  • Durham
  • Ely
  • Exeter
  • Gloucester
  • Hereford
  • Kingston-upon-Hull
  • Lancaster
  • Leeds
  • Leicester
  • Lichfield
  • Lincoln
  • Liverpool
  • London
  • Manchester
  • Newcastle-upon-Tyne
  • Norwich
  • Nottingham
  • Oxford
  • Peterborough
  • Plymouth
  • Portsmouth
  • Preston
  • Ripon
  • Salford
  • Salisbury
  • Sheffield
  • Southampton
  • St Albans
  • Stoke-on-Trent
  • Sunderland
  • Truro
  • Wakefield
  • Wells
  • Westminster
  • Winchester
  • Wolverhampton
  • Worcester
  • York

The former West Midlands county has the highest concentration of cities, with three (equal to Cambridgeshire and several others but over a smaller area). On the other hand, the following counties have no city:

  • Bedfordshire
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • Dorset
  • Essex
  • Isle of Wight
  • Northamptonshire
  • Northumberland
  • Rutland
  • Shropshire
  • Suffolk
  • Surrey
  • Warwickshire

Of these, only six have towns with a population of over 150,000:

  • Bedfordshire Luton
  • Berkshire Reading
  • Buckinghamshire Milton Keynes
  • Dorset Bournemouth
  • Essex Southend
  • Northamptonshire Northampton

(Note that only Northampton is not a Unitary Authority.)
 
Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
I never realised it wasn't a city! I believe that means that Essex just like Suffolk doesn't have a single city! I wonder how many other counties lack a single city?
Off the top of my head; Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Dorset, Northamptonshire, Isle of Wight and Bedfordshire. Probably more.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
In England: In addition to those that have already mentioned I can think of Northumberland, Warwickshire, Wiltshire, Staffordshire and Rutland.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Has no-one noticed I put up a complete list? ;)

N.B.: For ceremonial purposes, Stoke is considered a part of Staffordshire EDIT: I didn't realise Lichfield is in Staffordshire, so that is two. Also, Salisbury "ruins" Wiltshire.
 
Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
Surely East Sussex no longer has a city, as Brighton & Hove is a Unitary Authority and not under the control of the County Council?
This is why there's now a 'Welcome to East Sussex' sign at Saltdean, on the Eastern boundary of Brighton & Hove.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
You could also say that about Staffordshire, the East Riding and others. The above goes by ceremonial county, which is an unusual move for me because I would usually agree that Brighton is not in East Sussex!
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Newcastle is in the Ceremonial county of Northumberland so you can take that off the list...
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Not by modern definition it isn't. The modern definition of ceremonial county is roughly equivalent to those that existed 1974 - 1996. By that reckoning, Newcastle is in Tyne & Wear. I do take the point though :) Otherwise Lancashire would have the most cities, and Warwickshire at the very least would also not count.

Wikipedia map (includes both traditional and modern interpretations)
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
You could also say that about Staffordshire, the East Riding and others. The above goes by ceremonial county, which is an unusual move for me because I would usually agree that Brighton is not in East Sussex!
Further to what you've said it makes a further change for me, as I wouldn't even say that Berkshire was a county!
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Surely East Sussex no longer has a city, as Brighton & Hove is a Unitary Authority and not under the control of the County Council?
This is why there's now a 'Welcome to East Sussex' sign at Saltdean, on the Eastern boundary of Brighton & Hove.

Something's just struck me actually. By this reckoning, East Sussex never had a city in the first place! B&H wasn't awarded city status until 2000, by which time it was a Unitary Authority.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,774
Location
Yorkshire
The former West Midlands county has the highest concentration of cities, with three (equal to Cambridgeshire and several others but over a smaller area). On the other hand, the following counties have no city:

Doesn't Yorkshire have 7? Over a larger area, I'll grant you.

  • Bradford
  • Kingston-upon-Hull
  • Leeds
  • Ripon
  • Sheffield
  • Wakefield
  • York
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Doesn't Yorkshire have 7? Over a larger area, I'll grant you.

  • Bradford
  • Kingston-upon-Hull
  • Leeds
  • Ripon
  • Sheffield
  • Wakefield
  • York

It does, but using the modern definition of ceremonial counties Yorkshire as a whole is not applicable now. Therefore no one part has more than three, and even then West Yorkshire is more than twice the size of the West Midlands.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top