ryan125hst
Established Member
I have tickets for the above rail tour and will be boarding at Retford. According to UKsteam, we will be leaving Retford at 10:36 and then stopping at Babworth Down Loop from 10:39 until 11:22. (Realtime Trains link here).
Living in Retford, I am aware of the loop (it runs past the secondary school I attended), but I am confused as to how we will allow other trains to pass. This is because, from my experience, steam trains usually water either on Platform 2 (with the water tankers hose over the fence from Network Rail's offices), or it will move down and water next to West Carr fish and chip shop (there is a gate in the car park that allows access for crew and the water tanker's hose).
However, there are two northbound trains due to stop at Retford while Sir Nigel Gresley is taking on water: An East Coast service to Edinburgh, and a Hull Trains service to Hull. If 60007 stops by the gate shown above, the carriages (probably between 11 and 13 of them) will still be in platform 2, preventing the two regular services from calling and then using the pointwork that is also located next to the fish and chip shop to access the down fast.
So, does anyone know where Sir Nigel Gresley will be taking on water? The regular services can't go to platform 1 as it is not bidirectional signalled. I can only assume that we will move up to the signal at the end of the loop and be watered from there, but there is a football club there, so it all depends on them having permission to access it.
Any ideas anyone?
Thank you
Ryan
Living in Retford, I am aware of the loop (it runs past the secondary school I attended), but I am confused as to how we will allow other trains to pass. This is because, from my experience, steam trains usually water either on Platform 2 (with the water tankers hose over the fence from Network Rail's offices), or it will move down and water next to West Carr fish and chip shop (there is a gate in the car park that allows access for crew and the water tanker's hose).
However, there are two northbound trains due to stop at Retford while Sir Nigel Gresley is taking on water: An East Coast service to Edinburgh, and a Hull Trains service to Hull. If 60007 stops by the gate shown above, the carriages (probably between 11 and 13 of them) will still be in platform 2, preventing the two regular services from calling and then using the pointwork that is also located next to the fish and chip shop to access the down fast.
So, does anyone know where Sir Nigel Gresley will be taking on water? The regular services can't go to platform 1 as it is not bidirectional signalled. I can only assume that we will move up to the signal at the end of the loop and be watered from there, but there is a football club there, so it all depends on them having permission to access it.
Any ideas anyone?
Thank you
Ryan
