• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Bristolian route around 1960?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritspoulsen12

New Member
Joined
27 Oct 2015
Messages
4
Hi all,
I have searched this information for years without luck, so will appreciate any help I can get here from you experts.
I'm trying to figure out the route, that "The Bristolian" used around 1960, during the period when the "Warship" class engines were used. Specifically, I'm trying to find a double track tunnel into a hill with a siding shortly before the tunnel entrance. A river with a barge is flowing a little lower on the right. The siding line has a viaduct over the river.
I have seen a picture of this many, many years ago, and it will mean a lot to me, if I could find out, where it is or was.

Thanks:)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
Down via Bath, up via Badminton.

Edit: sounds like Foxes Wood tunnels next to the Avon if by 'viaduct over the river' , you mean 'next to the river'. There are two of those, one had a siding for the pumping station, which would have been still there in 1960.
 
Last edited:

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,779
Location
St Albans
Down via Bath, up via Badminton.

Edit: sounds like Foxes Wood tunnels next to the Avon if by 'viaduct over the river' , you mean 'next to the river'. There are two of those, one had a siding for the pumping station, which would have been still there in 1960.
I don't seem able to find any Foxes Wood tunnels on my railway maps - can you give me any more information (grid ref, between which stations) please?

Thanks,
John Webb
 

Zoidberg

Established Member
Joined
27 Aug 2010
Messages
1,270
Location
West Midlands
I don't seem able to find any Foxes Wood tunnels on my railway maps - can you give me any more information (grid ref, between which stations) please?

Thanks,
John Webb

I wonder if the info here helps

http://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1409150

Fox's Wood Tunnel West Portal (MLN111622)

List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Fox's Wood Tunnel West Portal (MLN111622)
List entry Number: 1409150
Location
North of Eastwood Road, Conham, Bristol
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
District: City of Bristol
District Type: Unitary Authority
Parish: Non Civil Parish
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: II*
Date first listed: 17-Jul-2012
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
 

fritspoulsen12

New Member
Joined
27 Oct 2015
Messages
4
Thanks for the replies already, amazing:rolleyes:. Pretty close, but not quite sure about Foxes Wood. Have googled images, looks almost right, but they seem mirrored, compared to what I remember.

Let me be more specific:
I see a Warship class engine coming towards me on a double track line. In the far background I see the tunnel entrance(s), not sure if one or two, into the hill, almost just like Foxes Wood but mirrored.
However, before the entrances is a double track siding to the right and I can see the trains last carriages on the siding, so that seems to be the mainline. A little further to the right, the line crosses a viaduct of the river below with a small cargo barge landing site - maybe a small town down there too.

Does that ring more bells:idea:
 

fritspoulsen12

New Member
Joined
27 Oct 2015
Messages
4
Finally - I found the photo.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/album.php?albumid=614&pictureid=3923

album.php


Look in my album Bristolian. Is it a real place or fantasy?
 
Last edited:

coppercapped

Established Member
Joined
13 Sep 2015
Messages
3,334
Location
Reading
Finally - I found the photo.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/album.php?albumid=614&pictureid=3923

album.php


Look in my album Bristolian. Is it a real place or fantasy?

I can't locate anywhere on the Bristol to London route, either via Chippenham or Badminton which matches the image.

It looks to me to be a photograph of an advertising poster or mural. Possibly the right hand side of the poster or mural is missing as the nose of the 800 is incomplete. Could it be advertising days out for rambling somewhere in the generic 'West Country'?

As for the river, there is a poster in the National Railway Museum's collection showing the Wye Valley which is not dissimilar but it shows no trains!
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
I agree it's almost certainly fictitious - the train coming off the branch for a start, another clue being the length. The Bristolian was a limited load service (and formed of BR Mk 1 stock well before the diesel era).
 

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2015
Messages
4,086
I agree it's almost certainly fictitious - the train coming off the branch for a start, another clue being the length. The Bristolian was a limited load service (and formed of BR Mk 1 stock well before the diesel era).

Well, it is Mk 1 stock in the piccie, surely - but yes, about 14 carriages by the looks of the train. (wasn't the Bristolian limited to 8 or 9?) Interesting, they seem to be blood and custard - surely the Bristolian would have been BR(W)'s flagship express - and allocated chocolate and cream Mk 1s.

Also, if it were a real branch line situation, surely there would have to be a facing crossing, to get trains off the 'up main' (IYSWIM) - there is none.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
Well, it is Mk 1 stock in the piccie, surely - but yes, about 14 carriages by the looks of the train. (wasn't the Bristolian limited to 8 or 9?) Interesting, they seem to be blood and custard - surely the Bristolian would have been BR(W)'s flagship express - and allocated chocolate and cream Mk 1s.

Also, if it were a real branch line situation, surely there would have to be a facing crossing, to get trains off the 'up main' (IYSWIM) - there is none.

Sorry, I took it to be Hawksworth stock from the slab sides, but looking again it's probably meant to be a Mk 1 - the front coaches look (correctly) chocolate and cream to me, but the rear few more like maroon and cream.

I think I can detect a hint of the facing point by the box.

But all this goes to show that railway artists were sometimes a bit inaccurate.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
But all this goes to show that railway artists were sometimes a bit inaccurate.

I think painting an idyllic scene must almost always have some fantasy obscuring microscopic accuracy.
 

fritspoulsen12

New Member
Joined
27 Oct 2015
Messages
4
Hi all,
Thanks a lot for your comments. Sorry to realize, that this place seems to be pure fiction. Would have liked to see it in real.
To coppercapped: The photo is printed on a box so the last inch or so, showing the rest of the nose is on the side of the box, so here it's not a part of a mural or an advertising.
To 70014IronDuke: The siding is double-tracked, and there is a branch and crossing from the left track too, but the copy of the photo is so blurred, that it is invisible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top