• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The BR name lives on at Harlesden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
968
Location
LONDON NW10
Departure board on the southbound platform at Harlesden served by Bakerloo Line underground trains (to Elephant & Castle) and by a 20-minutes frequency London Overground service to Euston on what was once known as the DC line.

006-1.jpg
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
:lol:

Was out and about yesterday morning, passenger asked the booking office clerk for the BR customer services number!
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
It's surprising how often you hear punters referring to it being 'British Rail's fault', I'm never entirely sure whether they are just using that as a generic term meaning 'railway' because they don't which of our many companies is actually to blame, or whether they just don't realise it isn't BR any more! Recent one was at Newport, a customer was telling the bloke at the Info point that is was of course 'BR's fault' to which he very dryly replied "it isn't BR's fault madam, they haven't existed for 12 years..." :D Though I suspect that's probably not true either as I think BR still existed in some residual form up until quite recently; something to do with property holdings or somesuch??
 

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
Though I suspect that's probably not true either as I think BR still existed in some residual form up until quite recently; something to do with property holdings or somesuch??
It has even outlived the former Railtrack Group which was finally dissolved in June 2010.
 
Last edited:

SWT_USER

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
1,180
Location
Ashford Middx
Used a lot as a generic term for anything that isn't the tube in London. I'm pretty sure there are signs for 'British Rail' remaining at a few underground stations but I can't remember where now!
 

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
There is a sign at the old Level Crossing near Oswestry that says "in an emergency contact BR on (phone Number)"
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,849
Location
Epsom
For simplicity I still use "BR" in my bank book for buying tickets with my debit card rather than write all the relevant TOC names ( or a profusion of initials ) down.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top