• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The basic mechanical questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

graezym

Member
Joined
7 Jun 2009
Messages
8
You get at the interviews.
Does anyone have any links to helpful sites?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TGV

Member
Joined
25 Nov 2005
Messages
734
Location
320km/h Voie Libre
There's no such thing I'm afraid - depends on the job you're going for, the experience level you're at etc...

What's the job? I've been on both sides of interviews. Maybe I can help?
 

graezym

Member
Joined
7 Jun 2009
Messages
8
There's no such thing I'm afraid - depends on the job you're going for, the experience level you're at etc...

What's the job? I've been on both sides of interviews. Maybe I can help?

Hi TGV,

The job is trainee rolling stock engineer for a company in Dorset.
 

TGV

Member
Joined
25 Nov 2005
Messages
734
Location
320km/h Voie Libre
OK, so it's maintenance based I assume? I imagine they'll shoot off a few standard mechanical questions with a little bit of basic principles - so you should brush up on things like basic statics and dynamics theory. They might show you a simple mechanism and ask you to draw a free-body diagram. It might be something as simple as showing you a photo or drawing of an assembly or system and ask you what you think the parts are, where it goes and what the components do or how they're loaded.

It's unlikely they'll ask you anything heavy with mathematics or engineering theory as it's a trainee job, so they'll assume that you can learn on the job.

As for rail specific questions - they might ask you if you can define some basic railway terms and principles. It all depends on the level of candidate they're looking for.
 

graezym

Member
Joined
7 Jun 2009
Messages
8
OK, so it's maintenance based I assume? I imagine they'll shoot off a few standard mechanical questions with a little bit of basic principles - so you should brush up on things like basic statics and dynamics theory. They might show you a simple mechanism and ask you to draw a free-body diagram. It might be something as simple as showing you a photo or drawing of an assembly or system and ask you what you think the parts are, where it goes and what the components do or how they're loaded.

It's unlikely they'll ask you anything heavy with mathematics or engineering theory as it's a trainee job, so they'll assume that you can learn on the job.

As for rail specific questions - they might ask you if you can define some basic railway terms and principles. It all depends on the level of candidate they're looking for.

Thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top