Myth #7896 (sorry, wrong thread) if animals have no "natural predators" they will spread unchecked. Apart from the continuing strife between badgers and foxes (that will take badger cubs), any given population will have its size regulated by food resources and, beyond a certain density of population, disease. Of course the countryside needs management, but that should involve humans being a tad more thoughtful with their own products. The urban fox "problem", for instance, is caused as much by careless provision of food via unsecured dustbins as by some magical increase in the fox population.
I certainly agree that a mature fox IF it ever came across a small baby would and could kill it, but the fox would never enter a badger sett knowing daddy is home, lambs and small rabbits are far easier prey.
To a certain extent it's unfortunate that the countryside is clouded by issues of animal cruelty, Badger baiting is not the same as Badger Digging and when the Badger Act was brought in instead of providing farmers a means of 'fair' control it left them with nothing.
Common Sense should prevail but never does, most the farmers I know will tell you that they will happily let badgers stay on their land but they need to be able to control them, like they control Fox, Moles, Rabbits, Rats and Pigeon's and any other vermin.
Like the farmer I quoted above, he was happy for the Badgers to remain on one side of the road, soon as they moved things became problematic. I agree with whoever wrote about badgers urinating on feedstuffs, but they also urinate on the grass which cows eat, there should and could be a happy medium, I think once things elevate to a level where pop stars like Brian May get involved it becomes more a matter of principle and no-one wants to be seen as losing.
One afternoon I spent about an hour watching a fox and her four cubs mooching about in and out of their den, it was fantastic and I will remember to the day I die watching them roll about play fighting, but I was there to control them !! I asked the millionaire greedy farmer if he wants them removed now or not, he said leave them, if they start causing problems I will ring you, if they stick to killing a few rabbits I can live with that. So don't tar all farmers and pest controllers as blood thirsty murderers, all they try to do is keep a natural balance.
I wonder sometimes if the highly vocal Mr May is as happy to let Moles roam free through his vast Lawns, somehow I doubt it. !!