• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 2024 US presidential election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,953
The dollar seems to be "soaring".


Not exactly sure why, given that the instability that will ensue.

The markets like certainty. The result has been uncertain for weeks, meaning jitters with respect to the US economy. With the result now in, the markets have some certainty. The dollar would have gone up whatever the result.

Interestingly the pound has fallen against the dollar rather less than the euro has fallen against the dollar. This suggests greater uncertainty as a result of the election for those in the EU compared to the UK.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,042
Location
Up the creek
Maybe we should start a thread on what the next four years of Musk’s, sorry, Trump’s presidency will lead to.

My feeling is that the more reactionary/bigoted/religious (use what term you will) states will feel emboldened to further push back things that many have seen as basic human rights. I also think that there will be restrictions on free speech, despite the First Amendment, either directly or indirectly. Big business will be free to place profits even further above other’s interests. Minorities will be increasingly harassed. There will be a number of straight-forward wacky policies. And as far as matters outside the USA go, it will be a green light to those strongmen that Trump or his successor admire.
 

Shrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Aug 2019
Messages
1,357
Completely selfish post related to the election as I don't really want to express my political opinion here, although you'll be able to infer it anyway.

We're travelling cross country on Amtrak in March. Hopefully we should be fine before he makes any attempt to cut service or cuts to onboard amenities such as dining. We were thinking of visiting Washington as part of our trip but I'm in two minds now. Might look into Boston instead.

As for Amtrak, after his attempts to slash Amtrak funding last time, I wonder what the future of long distance rail travel in the US holds?
IMO this would be worthy of a new thread, because we're talking about the world's most powerful country and the railways in it, which are among the world's worst for long distance passenger trains. I'd be happy to contribute to a new thread about rail travel in the USA, I guess others would too, and it's certainly topical for the reasons you've said
 

Stossgebet

Member
Joined
3 Oct 2024
Messages
203
Location
Midlands
dont be silly.
Why say "don't be silly"?

Much of this whole discussion is about how words hit. Much of the democrat support is critical about how Trumps language is recieved.
I replied as if you attributed that speech (those words) to me personally. I then explained how it appeared to me, and why i thought it was aimed at me.

And instead of saying you didn't mean it to appear that way. You just say i am being silly.
Well i guess that the defence is settled
 
Joined
4 Apr 2019
Messages
191
IMO this would be worthy of a new thread, because we're talking about the world's most powerful country and the railways in it, which are among the world's worst for long distance passenger trains. I'd be happy to contribute to a new thread about rail travel in the USA, I guess others would too, and it's certainly topical for the reasons you've said

Absolutely. I've found a discussion that was started earlier this year that seems relevant again now, so have added on to that.

 

bleeder4

Member
Joined
19 Jan 2019
Messages
792
Location
Worcester
IMO this would be worthy of a new thread, because we're talking about the world's most powerful country and the railways in it, which are among the world's worst for long distance passenger trains. I'd be happy to contribute to a new thread about rail travel in the USA, I guess others would too, and it's certainly topical for the reasons you've said
Although he has made several comments at some of his rallies about the US needing high speed trains to match those in Japan and China. So you never know!
 

Shrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Aug 2019
Messages
1,357
Absolutely. I've found a discussion that was started earlier this year that seems relevant again now, so have added on to that.

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll take a look, and hopefully that thread will be re-vitalised by today's events!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Although he has made several comments at some of his rallies about the US needing high speed trains to match those in Japan and China. So you never know!
Ha ha, somehow I can't see Trump pushing for rail development anywhere near the standards of China/Japan etc., I can only see such comments as his usual bluster just to attract the votes of the millions of gullible Americans who pander to everything he says, irrespective of any sincerity whatsoever!
 

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
10,560
Location
Preston Lancs
One thing I think we could all do is boycott the red states of the USA as a holiday destination for the next 4 years, or longer if he changes the constitution and makes himself dictator for life.
Wow - that would include Florida then? Possibly even Las Vegas NV the way things are looking.
All do? There may be other opinions!
Correct but not according to the general feelings on this forum as far as I can see!
 

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
Most of us are fortunate to be looking at this from the political ‘comfort’ of the UK.

Unfortunately what happens in the USA affects the UK & rest of the world.
 

Cross City

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2020
Messages
936
Location
Birmingham
No one is 'lurching further right'. This is just going back to exactly the same place that the USA was 4 years ago.

What I meant was, the Democrats should not be moving right to try and appease Trumpians

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Maybe that's why your smear words failed again.

I've not smeared anyone, I don't really care about what they do over there. I lived there for 4 years and I don't wish to go back.

You seem an angry one.
 

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
Maybe we should start a thread on what the next four years of Musk’s, sorry, Trump’s presidency will lead to.

My feeling is that the more reactionary/bigoted/religious (use what term you will) states will feel emboldened to further push back things that many have seen as basic human rights. I also think that there will be restrictions on free speech, despite the First Amendment, either directly or indirectly. Big business will be free to place profits even further above other’s interests. Minorities will be increasingly harassed. There will be a number of straight-forward wacky policies. And as far as matters outside the USA go, it will be a green light to those strongmen that Trump or his successor admire.

Very much my own view on the matter.

Wow - that would include Florida then? Possibly even Las Vegas NV the way things are looking.

I am afraid so. My feeling is if they lose valuable tourist dollars, they might understand that the rest of the world is not impressed.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
I am afraid so. My feeling is if they lose valuable tourist dollars, they might understand that the rest of the world is not impressed.
They won't care and I think you really need to get to grips with that! The opinions of the outside world do not matter to the majority of Americans and certainly not to the majority of Republican voters.
 

Krokodil

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2023
Messages
6,612
Location
Wales
Watching Trump live, he looks absolutely anaemic. With how much he's deteriorated since 2016 and all the stresses that being president brings, I would not at all be surprised if the 25th Amendment is used within the next couple of years.
Which means Vance. Who will probably be worse.

I sincerely feel sorry for the citizens of the United States of America by re-electing Donald Trump, he only cares for one person, himself
That's why they look up to him. It's an individualistic culture.

Wow - that would include Florida then? Possibly even Las Vegas NV the way things are looking.
As Disney haven't reinstated the "Magic Behind Our Steam Trains Tour", there's not a lot I would be missing in Florida (having done the parks when I was a kid). Universal will probably be opening in the UK too. I've definitely got no desire to visit Vegas.

The itinerary of my planned 2026 transatlantic trip was likely going to be Boston - Chicago - Colorado - California - New Mexico - Dodge City - Chicago - Washington DC. Only one of the places (I know that there's a mixture of cities and states in that list, I couldn't be bothered to list every settlement I'd be visiting in those states where I'd be spending longer) voted Republican. Not that I'd really thought about boycotting anything, this is just to illustrate that I wouldn't be missing much out if I did. The thing that would make me abandon/postpone the trip would be if Amtrak funding cuts result in the suspension of the long-distance routes - I'm not flying or driving from state to state, it's train or bust.
 

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
10,560
Location
Preston Lancs
They won't care and I think you really need to get to grips with that! The opinions of the outside world do not matter to the majority of Americans and certainly not to the majority of Republican voters.
That is 100% correct. They tend to be quite insular really and almost worship the flag. They really wont care as you say.

That's why they look up to him. It's an individualistic culture.
Also correct.
 

Krokodil

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2023
Messages
6,612
Location
Wales
They won't care and I think you really need to get to grips with that! The opinions of the outside world do not matter to the majority of Americans and certainly not to the majority of Republican voters.
Agreed. But at the same time there are plenty of better places to visit than Florida or Vegas. I've been watching the Grand Tour and am suddenly inspired by Mongolia and Zimbabwe.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
But at the same time there are plenty of better places to visit than Florida or Vegas.
For certain! Florida has never really appealed (bit too swampy, hot and humid!) I'd probably want to see Vegas but in a passing through sort of way to somewhere else rather than spend any significant amount of time there. But there are plenty of other places ahead of Vegas in the list of where I'd like to visit in the United States!
 

Shrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Aug 2019
Messages
1,357
Agreed. But at the same time there are plenty of better places to visit than Florida or Vegas. I've been watching the Grand Tour and am suddenly inspired by Mongolia and Zimbabwe.
There are many, many places that really are truly inspiring outside of the USA. As a starter, and having enjoyed a tour of the US canyons in 2000 (Grand, Bryce, Zion, Monument Valley, Arches NP), I thought these were the ultimate in offering fabulous walks and scenery. Then a few years later I visited China, and I'd say that the Chinese scenery beats it. Look up pictures of Huangshan, Huashan, Zhangjiajie, Li River, or just browse something like https://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/most-beautiful-places.htm (Advert by China Highlights).
The USA has amazing scenery and other fabulous things to visit, but in the UK we tend to allow ourselves to be seduced by them and their publicity which often has the effect of preventing us from exploring the even more fabulous things that are elsewhere. As for walks, yes I loved the US canyons, but there are plenty of amazing walks and scenery in Europe (France, Spain, Italy and I could go on) which are every bit as incredible. Less than 2 weeks ago I did the Caminito Del Rey walk in southern Spain, and not so long ago I walked and climbed in the Dolomites (northern Italy). The US simply offers some alternatives, it's takes considerably longer to get there, and you don't need a visa to visit Europe ...
 

Stossgebet

Member
Joined
3 Oct 2024
Messages
203
Location
Midlands
What I meant was, the Democrats should not be moving right to try and appease Trumpians

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==



I've not smeared anyone, I don't really care about what they do over there. I lived there for 4 years and I don't wish to go back.

You seem an angry one.
Why would i be angry? I find the amount of hostility to the result very amusing. You might be able to tell that i regard the result as a sort of comeuppance, for another left wing campaign that focussed on the negative of the opposition (with some severe hypocrisy), rather than the positives of the incumbent regime. A tactic that just keeps failing.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,942
Location
Fenny Stratford
Point of order. The PRC has never controlled Taiwan. It would be a straightforward conquest.
Noted: I should have said reabsorbed into mainland China. Communist China has never controlled Taiwan. However Taiwan was historically part of China and is considered so by PRC.
 

Stossgebet

Member
Joined
3 Oct 2024
Messages
203
Location
Midlands
And yet here we are with a Labour government after the right wing vote collapsed.
Collapsed? No. It was split. The combined tory plus reform vote is higher than the labour vote.
There was no collapse of the right. We have an incredible situation where the number of votes for labour went down, and the outcome was a massive majority. And they seem hell bent on using that majority to upset almost everyone except die hard followers.
For the record. I am glad the tories got an electoral kicking. But you must see that the vote on the right, held up.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
I would suggest nuclear proliferation is probably a bigger worry now. I wonder how secure Taiwan, South Korea, or Japan are feeling right now with their own belligerent nuclear armed neighbours and the case study of Ukraine that a) you couldn't rely on Western support before Trump and b) if you're attacked by a nuclear power even if you get support it will be so heavily caveated that it might be functionally useless anyway. A credible nuclear capability might end up being seen to be the only way that they can attempt guarantee their survival.
 

Cross City

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2020
Messages
936
Location
Birmingham
Collapsed? No. It was split. The combined tory plus reform vote is higher than the labour vote.

If Reform didn't exist Labour would still have won. Anyway, we're off topic now.

I don't care if 'the left' keep losing elections, calling out racists and bigots for what they are is the right thing to do. These people should not be appeased, last time we did that Germany took the Sudetenland and look where that got us.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top