• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink Witness Statement Fare Evasion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippings123

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2024
Messages
6
Location
london
Hi there,

Hoping to get a little bit of advice. Earlier today I was stopped because I had a ticket that flagged up. I travel into London and on the odd occasion in the last 2 weeks a handful of times I've been late rushed onto the train and purchased a return ticket from a stop a few stops down the line.. no intention to fare dodge just signal on trains approaching that station remembered to buy a ticket and got a return. The distance between my correct stop and the one i got a return from is 12 mins and £1.40. This is genuine carelessness to buy a ticket.
In between these handful of purchases I've tapped in and out so I'm not trying to evade £1.40. I was stopped today, witness statement given and pictures of my previous fares were taken. What should I do next? I have been proactive to contact them and a note was added to my file. I just need some advice on how to approach this and what to expect. Genuinely just brought a return from the station I was at on the train itself and now this has happened. Thank you
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
Paying a lower fare than you should is fare-dodging, like it or not, and you could be found guilty in court of a minor "strict liability" offence (ie one you will have no defence to).
The train company will contact you, threatening you with prosecution and asking for your version of events.
However, if you engage with them, you will almost certainly be able to agree an out-of-court settlement for the full fares for your journeys (not the difference) plus an admin fee, which will vary according to the train company and how complicated your case is, but might be as much as £150.
(The main exception is TfL (tube/Overground) who almost always prosecute.)

When the letter arrives, please come back for more advice - meanwhile don't panic :)
 

Chippings123

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2024
Messages
6
Location
london
Paying a lower fare than you should is fare-dodging, like it or not, and you could be found guilty in court of a minor "strict liability" offence (ie one you will have no defence to).
The train company will contact you, threatening you with prosecution and asking for your version of events.
However, if you engage with them, you will almost certainly be able to agree an out-of-court settlement for the full fares for your journeys (not the difference) plus an admin fee, which will vary according to the train company and how complicated your case is, but might be as much as £150.
(The main exception is TfL (tube/Overground) who almost always prosecute.)

When the letter arrives, please come back for more advice - meanwhile don't panic :)
Hi there

Thank you for your quick response. There's around 6 occasions this has happened in the space of a few weeks with tickets inbetween this were I have tapped in and out for the full fare but these particular occasions was just stupid.

All I want to do is express my resolution to pay the fines and move on. I will admit fully the responsibilities of my actions but how else can I give myself the best chance for an out-of-court settlement ?

Thank you again very helpful
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Welcome to the forum!

Six occasions of travelling with a short fare doesn't sound accidental to me. That said, Govia Thameslink are normally one of the more pragmatic train companies at dealing with this sort of thing. What happens next is they will write to you saying they have received a report and are considering prosecuting. I suggest a short, concide reply mentioning the following points:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Although we cannot guarantee it, GTR are normally prepared to offer an out of court settlement to people who co-operate with their investigation and who haven't come to their attention before. Expect to have to pay the cost of the fare avoided at the full Anytime rate in addition to an admin fee, typically around £150.

When it arrives, post a copy of the letter in this thread, with personal details redacted, along with your draft reply and forum members will be happy to proof read it for you
 

Chippings123

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2024
Messages
6
Location
london
Hi there, I have now received the below letter below.

Please can you advise on what to write and I will compose a thorough, sincere and honest reply.

Thank you for your help in advance.
 

Attachments

  • 20241106_081325.jpg
    20241106_081325.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 94
  • 20241106_081339.jpg
    20241106_081339.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 85

notmyrealname

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2023
Messages
502
Location
London
Hadders gave you a few bullet points to help you in post #4. Only you know the full story, so you could start from there and post up a draft for us to proofread.
 

Chippings123

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2024
Messages
6
Location
london
Hi there, this is my response I have composed. It is in 2 parts Please feedback

I am writing this letter with the upmost remorse, deep regret and sincerity to express how apologetic I am for my actions. I want to take this opportunity to explain my mistake and why a lack of naivety, thoughtlessness and carelessness has put me in this position.

On 3rd September I was stopped by a revenue protection inspector and questioned on the accuracy of my ticket, at this time I was travelling with a ticket that did not cover my whole journey. The reason for this is careless to be honest, I live by Hendon and Brent Cross West Station and I had accessed the train that day via Hendon and upon my journey into Farringdon had panicked that I hadn't purchased a ticket due to rushing for the train and proceeded to purchase one from the stop I was at at the time which was Kentish Town. At the time I wasn't thinking and looking back it is foolish and careless.

I purchased a ticket for the travel without thinking of the implications this could have, the reason for not buying the incorrect ticket is due to lack of planning and preparation before my journey, I was rushing for the train having only just moved to the area, got onto the train and then proceeded to buy a ticket once I had signal to do so which happened to be Kentish Town. It sounds daft and silly and I am not a person who makes mistakes but I should have pre-paid for my ticket beforehand or used another form of purchase. This is a complete lack of concentration from my part and I realise this now and have ensured I have taken the right precautions to prevent this happening again. The total amount of incorrect travel fares totals to £11.40.

At the time when I was speaking with the revenue protection inspector the conversation lead to me admitting that there were a handful of other occasions that I had done this and the reason behind it was the same again through lack of preparation for my journey and thoughtlessness. During this period when I had these incorrect tickets, I can assure you it wasn't intentional or on purpose, I had in fact used contactless in-between and around the time of these incorrect tickets which I hope proves that when I had been more prepared and thinking straight I had travelled correctly. It was not a case of me continuously purchasing incorrect tickets with the purpose to pay less and I hope that the use of contactless either side, in-between and around these occasions does prove this. I had travelled correctly with valid tickets before, during and after this incident which I hope shows I am genuine.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Second part -

I have tried to take every precaution possible to resolve this incident, on the day I received the warning I managed to call and speak with someone in the prosecutions team and express my desire to try and resolve this ASAP and pay any fines instantly, I believe the lady I spoke to had attached a note on my account proving that I had called and wanted to resolve this quickly as I was ashamed and embarrassed this had happened and wanted to rectify this immediately. I had waited for this letter to reach me and anxiously waited each day to the point where I even again called the number I had originally when I spoke to a staff member and left numerous voicemails requesting a call back to prove I am actively trying to resolve this and show how engaged I am to fix this.

I have learnt from this incident immensely, it will never ever happen again and now I ensure I am well prepared to travel and do so correctly after learning this tough lesson which I cannot express enough how remorseful I am.

I am expressing that I want to settle this matter without the need for court action and I can do so immediately and cooperatively, I want to rectify this by paying for all of the incorrect fares in full which totals £65.80, the difference of incorrect fares £11.40 and any administrative costs/admin fees/fines in dealing with this matter.

I have never come to the attention of Govia Thameslink Railway before or any other railway nor have I ever been in trouble with the law of any sort, I am a genuine, sincere person who has made a mistake and wants to rectify this immediately, cooperatively and without the need for court action.

Please again accept my sincere apologies on this matter and I look forward to your response,
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,834
Please feedback
It's too long, and too full of excuses. I refer you to post #4.
why a lack of naivety, thoughtlessness and carelessness has put me in this position.
Whatever you do to rewrite the letter, do not use this phrase - it says the opposite of what you are trying to say!
I am expressing that I want to settle this matter without the need for court action and I can do so immediately and cooperatively, I want to rectify this by paying for all of the incorrect fares in full which totals £65.80, the difference of incorrect fares £11.40 and any administrative costs/admin fees/fines in dealing with this matter.
Although @Hadders say that you should offer this, it should actually be a request that they offer you the opportunity to settle. The ball is in their court, not yours, so what you want doesn't count for much.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
I would normally attempt to suggest cuts, but your draft has confused me - which means the person reading it will give up quickly.

1. How do the 2 parts fit together?
2. Why do you refer to £65.80 and £11.40?

Look at post #4 again, address each point in one or two short sentences (and don't mention the amount - GTR know!), and come back to us.

Also, please don't use AI - in British English using 2-3 words where one would be enough is totally unnecessary :)
 

Chippings123

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2024
Messages
6
Location
london
Hi thanks for your replies and feedback. Let me rewrite this up and post again soon. Thank you very helpful

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi there.

Reworded and completely drawn back response, please advise -


I am writing this letter with the upmost remorse in response to the above referenced incident. I am truly sorry for this incident occurring and my actions and want to express this.

I have learnt a lot from this incident and can assure you it will never happen again. On the 3rd Sept I was stopped in Farringdon and I had admitted to not purchasing the correct and full ticket for my journey that day along with six other occasions.

I travel from Hendon/Brent Cross to Farringdon every day and on this occasion on the 3rd Sept and the other incorrect travel tickets from Kentish Town to Farringdon and St Pancras to Farringdon I had forgot to tap in that day or pre-purchase my ticket. This was a stupid thing to do I realise that now

I had correctly travelled before this period, during (using contactless) and after this occasion.

I am kindly requesting that you consider allowing me the opportunity to settle this incident outside and away from court.

I want to cooperate and engage as best as I can so would like to pay all of the outstanding fares in full and any administrative costs in having to deal with this matter immediately.

I am incredibly apologetic, I have never done anything like this before and it will never happen again.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

If you have any feedback on the above here that would be great ^^

Thank you again so helpful

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi everyone. I need to submit this response by tomorrow so if you can give advice and support on my shortened and edited version above would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
 
Last edited:

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
I am writing this letter with the upmost remorse in response to the above referenced incident. I am truly sorry for this incident occurring and my actions and want to express this.

I have learnt a lot from this incident and can assure you it will never happen again. On the 3rd Sept I was stopped in Farringdon and I had admitted to not purchasing the correct and full ticket for my journey that day along with six other occasions.

I travel from Hendon/Brent Cross to Farringdon every day and on this occasion on the 3rd Sept and the other incorrect travel tickets from Kentish Town to Farringdon and St Pancras to Farringdon I had forgot to tap in that day or pre-purchase my ticket. This was a stupid thing to do I realise that now
I suggest you delete this paragraph - you seem to be saying you short-fared because you forgot to tap in. It's no excuse and illegal rather than stupid.
I had correctly travelled before this period, during (using contactless) and after this occasion.
Irrelevant, delete.
I am kindly requesting that you consider allowing me the opportunity to settle this incident outside and away from court.

I want to cooperate and engage as best as I can so would like to pay all of the outstanding fares in full and any administrative costs in having to deal with this matter immediately.

I am incredibly apologetic, I have never done anything like this before and it will never happen again.
Never, or six times as earlier? I would rewrite the sentence. Ideally explain how you will stop misbehaving.

The rest is OK.

PS Apologies that I didn't spot your reply a week ago.
 
Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
I think it reads ok but suggest going with the amendments suggested by @30907
 

Chippings123

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2024
Messages
6
Location
london
Out of court settlement. Full fares to pay and the difference in dodged fare.

Thank you for all your guidance on this matter
 

Attachments

  • 20241121_205017.jpg
    20241121_205017.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 108

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Thanks for letting us know.
 

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,329
Location
Reading
(Amused at a prosecutor attempting to communicate "without prejudice" in criminal proceedings!)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top